STE BOOSTER V1 32MHZ & FAST-TOS

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

bishopco3
Atarian
Atarian

Re: STE BOOSTER V1 32MHZ & FAST-TOS

Postby bishopco3 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:22 pm

Thanks everyone for the help, unfortunately I still can't solve this problem. I've redone some of the soldering to get rid of the slant on the booster, and cleaned up properly. I've done extensive continuity testing on ALL the pins for the CPU to make sure all the traces are working and have found no problems, everything pin is properly in contact, without any shorts. Right now I am not getting a white screen, only black, occasionally there are some colored short lines appear after trying to boot. I can't hear clicks from the keyboard so I am assuming the rom is not loading.
I think a fault has developed with one or more components. I guess the next step would be to look at it with a logic analyzer or an oscilloscope to see what is working and what is not. Is there a know procedure to test the main components, perhaps readout samples?
Reading up on the forum, it may be the U405 became faulty, the symptoms seems to point that way.
Here are some pics:

IngoQ
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby IngoQ » Tue May 09, 2017 7:26 am

Hi,

I would like to get a booster for my 1040STE, but unfortunately my CPU is not socketed.

See here for a picture: https://hub.e-quade.de/nextcloud/index.php/s/Vx5zcHHajJKjMA3

Is there anything I can do to make this work?

Removing the CPU wouldn't be that much of a problem but then what? Is there something like SMT pinheaders for example? Or could I solder in a SMT PLCC68 Socket and modify the booster with a socketplug?

Any ideas highly appreciated :)
Ingo :coffe:

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Maeke
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Maeke » Tue May 09, 2017 8:36 am

double post sorry.
Last edited by Maeke on Tue May 09, 2017 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Maeke
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Maeke » Tue May 09, 2017 8:37 am

IngoQ wrote:Hi,

I would like to get a booster for my 1040STE, but unfortunately my CPU is not socketed.

See here for a picture: https://hub.e-quade.de/nextcloud/index.php/s/Vx5zcHHajJKjMA3

Is there anything I can do to make this work?

Removing the CPU wouldn't be that much of a problem but then what? Is there something like SMT pinheaders for example? Or could I solder in a SMT PLCC68 Socket and modify the booster with a socketplug?

Any ideas highly appreciated :)

exxos is preparing a new model of the booster with a socket adapter, because he had to fix a lot of bad soldering jobs, it may take several months before it's ready though, then you'd just have to replace your soldered cpu with a smt plcc68 socket.
Besides the new booster won't need to pick the 32Mhz signal anymore.

IngoQ
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby IngoQ » Tue May 09, 2017 8:41 am

Maeke wrote:exxos is preparing a new model of the booster with a socket adapter, because he had to fix a lot of bad soldering jobs, it may take several months before it's ready though, then you'd just have to replace your soldered cpu with a smt plcc68 socket.

That's really cool, thanks :)

Now I only have to be patient... ;)

“Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Maeke
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Maeke » Tue May 09, 2017 4:02 pm

the proto board were just ordered.
Btw don't forget the booster still needs the tos switcher from exxos to give it's full boost (the rom is compatible 32Mhz too on this switcher).

Fujiyama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Fujiyama » Mon May 15, 2017 10:26 am

Maeke wrote:
IngoQ wrote:exxos is preparing a new model of the booster with a socket adapter, because he had to fix a lot of bad soldering jobs, it may take several months before it's ready though, then you'd just have to replace your soldered cpu with a smt plcc68 socket.

I recently replaced the existing 68000 PLCC socket inside my STe (because I accidently damaged it), so it would be nice if I didn't need to remove it once again.
Are you saying the new model will use a socket such as the one Alan uses in his STe/MegaSTe model of the MonSTer board (just remove the CPU, plug in the board, insert the CPU into the board)?

And while mentioning the MonSTer: will the 32MHz booster work with it?
Since the MonSTer has built-in flash memory, perhaps the Fast-TOS board might be unnecessary?
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Maeke
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Maeke » Tue May 16, 2017 6:25 am

Yup that's what i'm saying, and there are more exiting news atm, but it's not decided yet so i won't tell (and it's exxos's work so he should be the one saying).

IngoQ
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby IngoQ » Tue May 16, 2017 8:16 am

If your goal was to make us curious you surely did a great job :)

Fujiyama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Fujiyama » Tue May 16, 2017 8:37 am

True :wink:
Any timeframe for when this is ready to be presented/available for purchase, Maeke?
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Maeke
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Maeke » Tue May 16, 2017 4:17 pm

Sorry but no, all i know is he's having new ideas atm, and he works on a lot of things at the same time (including repairs, new psu for stf/e and falcon) so it could take a few months.
And i see his progress on facebook, i can't take a look over his shoulder, i'm not even in england.

Fujiyama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Fujiyama » Tue May 16, 2017 6:06 pm

No problem.
I have a few hardware add-ons on my wishlist, but will just wait and see which wish will come true :D

But how about the current version of the 32MHz power booster along with the MonSTer? Will it work? And does the MonSTer's flash memory replace the fast-TOS board's function?

Maeke
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Maeke » Tue May 16, 2017 7:07 pm

nop the booster isn't compatible with the monster, several problems exist including the ide doesn't work at all. Also the tos switcher from exxos is designed to work at 32Mhz (yep the rom works at 32Mhz when both cards are present and working), afaik the rom of the monster isn't designed for that frequency.

Fujiyama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Fujiyama » Wed May 17, 2017 10:49 pm

Oh, that's too bad :-(
But I'll keep watching this space for any advancements and/or other hardware solutions from Exxos.

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Thu May 18, 2017 5:39 pm

I did mention about it some time ago.

What I have done is produced a new board (waiting for prototype to arrive) which is the same STE booster circuit, but totally re-done to allow a plug-in type solution. This one will plug into the CPU socket. I have had some custom spacers made which will replace the CPU with a "dummy CPU" to hold the adapter in place.

18342070_10209544457303968_4822193547383618868_n.jpg

This current design probably won't go into production as I am working on rev2 which will include fast-ram. This is 32Mhz fast-ram 8MB. I have routed the SRAM chips but not yet routed anything else because I want to make sure the first prototype is stable before I go bolting SRAM onto it.

I am also going for a switchless solution, where I need some NVRAM ideally. So I am adding on a similar NVRAM as used in the falcon. A side effect is a RTC :)

I am also adding in 2 banks of fast-flash on there also. So there will be 2 banks of user flashable "fast-rom" on there also.

This test PCB has its own MHz generator as I want to re-investigate overclocking. Though from my tests before, the CPU maxed out at 38MHz.

This will take a huge amount of time to route alone, so don't expect it will appear any time soon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

Fujiyama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Fujiyama » Thu May 18, 2017 7:46 pm

With the fast-flash, 8MB fast-ram and NVRAM, will the new board be something like the MonSTer (with its 8MB ALT-RAM, flash memory for repleaceable TOS, and its realtime clock module option), and with the added 32MHz booster, but without the dual IDE interface?

I actually still have Alan's dual IDE board for the STe -is there any chance it would work with your new board?
A great project you've got going there! I wish you all the best in designing it and look forward to seeing it in action :D

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Thu May 18, 2017 7:59 pm

Fujiyama wrote:With the fast-flash, 8MB fast-ram and NVRAM, will the new board be something like the MonSTer (with its 8MB ALT-RAM, flash memory for repleaceable TOS, and its realtime clock module option), and with the added 32MHz booster, but without the dual IDE interface?

Basically yes. I have designed a IDE interface, but I don't want to re-invent it yet again. A lot of IDE and CF stuff is fickle at the best of times. I am thinking more of a IDE to USB bridge at the moment. Though with storage solutions like ultrasatan and cosmosex, I'm not really sure if its worth even adding storage onto it yet.

Fujiyama wrote:I actually still have Alan's dual IDE board for the STe -is there any chance it would work with your new board?

Alan's original IDE interface works with my 16MHz booster on the STFM. I don't know about the STE, never had that version.

Fujiyama wrote:A great project you've got going there! I wish you all the best in designing it and look forward to seeing it in action :D

Thanks :cheers: Fast-ram isn't hard to setup as its basically the same as fast-rom design wise. I spent some days looking for SRAM chips and deciding to go for 3.3V chips which complicated the design a little.

Its all being worked on anyway, just my time is very limited and routing takes huge amounts of time up so its been done bit by bit.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

Fujiyama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Fujiyama » Thu May 18, 2017 11:01 pm

exxos wrote:
Fujiyama wrote:With the fast-flash, 8MB fast-ram and NVRAM, will the new board be something like the MonSTer (with its 8MB ALT-RAM, flash memory for repleaceable TOS, and its realtime clock module option), and with the added 32MHz booster, but without the dual IDE interface?

Basically yes. I have designed a IDE interface, but I don't want to re-invent it yet again. A lot of IDE and CF stuff is fickle at the best of times. I am thinking more of a IDE to USB bridge at the moment.

That's going to be one great piece of hardware! :wink:
Will there be a way to temporarily switch off the 32MHz mode automatically (e.g. when running timing dependant MIDI software for instance) then have it automtatically switch back again when you're back in the TOS desktop?

As for the IDE to USB bridge: do you mean something similar to Alan's Unicorn USB?
I understand you're super busy, but is there any chance you're working on (or will consider working on) a USB keyboard/mouse interface? Joska has a solution based on an Arduino, but unfortunately it still won't work with two devices at once as far as I know (quite essential really if you don't want to go wireless).

Fujiyama wrote:I actually still have Alan's dual IDE board for the STe -is there any chance it would work with your new board?

Alan's original IDE interface works with my 16MHz booster on the STFM. I don't know about the STE, never had that version.

I would assume it's essentially the same thing, only with a PLCC socket instead of a DIL. If Alan's reading: is this correct, or are there other differences?
Noisy, slow and bulky hard drives are history as far as I'm concerned (at least for the ST IMHO with its meager storage demands).

Its all being worked on anyway, just my time is very limited and routing takes huge amounts of time up so its been done bit by bit.

Take the time you need to get it right. We're a patient bunch :wink:

Fujiyama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Fujiyama » Thu May 18, 2017 11:04 pm

exxos wrote:I did mention about it some time ago.

What I have done is produced a new board (waiting for prototype to arrive) which is the same STE booster circuit, but totally re-done to allow a plug-in type solution. This one will plug into the CPU socket. I have had some custom spacers made which will replace the CPU with a "dummy CPU" to hold the adapter in place.

Have you seen/considered the PLCC plug which Alan uses with his MonSTer (I can only speak for the MegaSTe version which I have)? It appears to be very stable and easy to plug into the main board socket.

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Thu May 18, 2017 11:16 pm

Fujiyama wrote:Will there be a way to temporarily switch off the 32MHz mode automatically (e.g. when running timing dependant MIDI software for instance) then have it automtatically switch back again when you're back in the TOS desktop?

Automatic would need software patches to turn the booster registers on and off, or with a external switch like the current booster.

Fujiyama wrote:As for the IDE to USB bridge: do you mean something similar to Alan's Unicorn USB?

I don't know what Alan used or own a unicorn.

Fujiyama wrote:I understand you're super busy, but is there any chance you're working on (or will consider working on) a USB keyboard/mouse interface? Joska has a solution based on an Arduino, but unfortunately it still won't work with two devices at once as far as I know (quite essential really if you don't want to go wireless).

There is PeST where people have said they would want one still, but thats PS2 and mouse only. I think it would be a long time before I considered keyboard stuff as just got to many projects on the go as it is.

Fujiyama wrote:Have you seen/considered the PLCC plug which Alan uses with his MonSTer (I can only speak for the MegaSTe version which I have)? It appears to be very stable and easy to plug into the main board socket.

I have seen those sockets but thought they were expensive, like £20-£50 mark. I'm trying to keep costs low as possible. What I designed is basically the same thing at fraction of the cost.

Maeke
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Maeke » Fri May 19, 2017 6:30 am

So you see; as i said a lot of interesting new ideas from exxos atm.

Fujiyama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Fujiyama » Fri May 19, 2017 7:32 am

Maeke wrote:So you see; as i said a lot of interesting new ideas from exxos atm.

Very true indeed! :D

Maeke
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Maeke » Fri May 19, 2017 7:42 am

This said for the hdd, you should consider the cosmosex or the newer microcosmos, they give you hdd on sd card, usb, network, can replace keyboard and mouse with usb ones, can use modern usb printer (well still in project afaik) has a raspberry pi3 for the latest cosmosex and for the microcosmos, so it has wifi, the difference is the full cosmosex has floppy emulation (but the microcosmos is cheaper and smaller, but is acsi only).
Or of course, you have the ultrasatan, or the unicorn (which use usb stick and can use usb cd/dvd drive, but if you want to use two or more devices you'll need a hub, one of the usb ports is for power only).

Fujiyama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Fujiyama » Fri May 19, 2017 7:49 am

exxos wrote:
Fujiyama wrote:Will there be a way to temporarily switch off the 32MHz mode automatically (e.g. when running timing dependant MIDI software for instance) then have it automtatically switch back again when you're back in the TOS desktop?

Automatic would need software patches to turn the booster registers on and off, or with a external switch like the current booster.

The other day I was downloading and reading the ICD AdSpeed user manual, more specifically pages 8 and 9, where it describes how certain programs can be defined to run at a certain speed. Can somethign similar be developed for your booster?

Fujiyama wrote:As for the IDE to USB bridge: do you mean something similar to Alan's Unicorn USB?

I don't know what Alan used or own a unicorn.

The Unicorn USB plugs into the ACSI port and provides a USB (1.1 I think) port for external USB storage (hard drives, USB memory sticks etc.) which are hot-swapable, USB mice and Ethernet (I think). Unfortunately it doesn't do USB keyboards.
Is it something similar you're looking into developing (instead of an internal IDE interface)?

Fujiyama wrote:Have you seen/considered the PLCC plug which Alan uses with his MonSTer (I can only speak for the MegaSTe version which I have)? It appears to be very stable and easy to plug into the main board socket.

I have seen those sockets but thought they were expensive, like £20-£50 mark. I'm trying to keep costs low as possible. What I designed is basically the same thing at fraction of the cost.[/quote]

I understand, and that's commendable. As long as the socket is reliable and won't damage the Atari PLCC socket whenever you attempt an insertion or removal I'm all for that, but if there's a risk of damage and the more expensive ones are better in the long run -can you consider those sockets as an ordering option if anyone wants them? Personally I'd rather pay a bit more and not risk damaging my STe as I almost did when plugging a normal PLCC "add on" socket. I had to order a new PLCC socket from Best electronics as they're not standard.

exxos
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby exxos » Fri May 19, 2017 8:23 am

Fujiyama wrote:The other day I was downloading and reading the ICD AdSpeed user manual, more specifically pages 8 and 9, where it describes how certain programs can be defined to run at a certain speed. Can somethign similar be developed for your booster?

I will write a small app to switch speeds, that can be placed in auto folder. Beyond that people will have to write their own software.

Fujiyama wrote:Is it something similar you're looking into developing (instead of an internal IDE interface)?

I'm not really looking into anything at the moment, not keyboard or storage related. The IDE to USB bridge was just a idea of what could be done, *if* I decided to add storage onto the booster, Though I don't think people need another storage solution at the moment.

Fujiyama wrote:the more expensive ones are better in the long run -can you consider those sockets as an ordering option if anyone wants them? Personally I'd rather pay a bit more and not risk damaging my STe as I almost did when plugging a normal PLCC "add on" socket. I had to order a new PLCC socket from Best electronics as they're not standard.

Its good idea in theory, though one thing to bare in mind , I have to stock all this stuff, if the socket is £30 a go and I build up 25 kits, thats £750 I have to spend on that one part. If the boosters never all sell, then I lose £500+ on that one part. I just can't afford to take such risks.

You could argue I could buy a couple each time one sells, though also don't forget I produce multiple kits and it could take me a year to get around to soldering the connector on (People have been waiting several months now for the Falcon PSU's, and I have been working on that in between 20 other things which are going on at once like repairing peoples machines etc) . Building stuff a couple at a time is a huge waste of time. I need to build in batches else everything takes 3 times as long. Stuff tends to get lost with me ordering so many parts, then I end up ordering same items again...

I produced the STE booster as people wanted something simple, so I did just that, now I realise people just can't solder very well, so a plugin option is needed. Though why create myself a lot of work in creating a 3rd version of the kit with a proper PLCC socket for £30 more, when if it did break the motherboard, you could buy a motherboard for the same price anyway. Really this stuff should be plugged in and left. Sockets are not designed for multiple insertions. They are 20+ years old now as well. Not reliable. Thats why I opted for a solder in version as I can't see plug in solutions being long term reliable. Though people can't solder, so has to be plug in... oh the fun of all the "swings and roundabouts" ...

So a lot of compromises have to be made to make kits realistically achievable, both time and cost wise. Of course I have to have all these types of conversations with myself and try to come up with a overall strategy which will work best for me and benefit the most people at the same time while trying to keep the end price as low as possible else nobody would ever be able to afford the stuff in the first place ;)

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”