Need help identifying disk drive...

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Zee
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Need help identifying disk drive...

Postby Zee » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:13 pm

Hi,

I just got an external disk drive to go with my 1040 STF.

It's not one of the original Atari ones... So I need help finding out what beast it is... (I like to know what hardware I have)

unfortunately I don't have any pictures of it...
A short description:
The size of the drive is not much bigger than the actual floppy mechanics. It is a bit longer than the drive mechs and the cable to the ST is attached to it, and is non removable...

The only identifying mark on the whole drive (without looking inside it) is a sticker on the botton that reads:S/N:302R- 08168 and a couple och Q.C. Passed (MDR30) stickers

Anyone have a clue to what this might be?
I might me able to make a picture with my scanner later today...

// Zee
My other computer is an Amiga, Sinclar or Spectravideo

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:39 pm

The only way you're going to find out what it is, is to open it up and look at the internals. Alot of external drives were made very cheaply at the time and were only sold as 'external disk drive' without any brand name.

Quite a few of these drives are actually mass made pc drives with the id changed so the atari could work it. If you push the disk flap on the front in and look inside you'll see the pin at the left or right (can't remember which) that sticks through the write protect hole on a disk. If it's got a pin on the other side then the drive is capable of reading/writing 1.44mb hd floppies. Although for that to work you'd need tos 2.05 or later. I stumbled across one i'd had for ages, found it had the two pins and now my mega ste can use hd disks.

Paul.

Zee
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Zee » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:47 am

Okay,

then I might consider opening up the drive and check it out...

// Zee
My other computer is an Amiga, Sinclar or Spectravideo

simbo

Postby simbo » Fri May 14, 2004 2:08 am

its a sony or matsui or a teak

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”