[PICS] Exxos TOS 1.2/1.4 Board - Build and fitment

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

[PICS] Exxos TOS 1.2/1.4 Board - Build and fitment

Postby spiny » Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:09 pm

Another build up for one of Exxos's ST boards, this one replaces the TOS ROMs with a small board with TOS in a much faster chip - info here: http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/tos/index.htm

I bought this to replace the 6 Chip TOS that I removed from one of my FMs so that it could replace the TOS1.0 in an STM that I got last week, leaving the FM without an OS. So I now have an STM with 1.4 and an STFM with 1.2/1.4 switchable :)

Anyway, pics:

0: The kit, needs soldering together.

1: Soldering the tiny SMT resistor - I'm using an aircooled VW con rod here to keep the resistor from moving while I solder it :)

2: Done.

3: Socket soldered from the underside - on mine I didn't notice that the board wasn't totally flat when I propped it in place, so the socket isn't flush with the board, still works, just looks untidy :/

4: Using a spare Dallas real time clock chip to space out the pins

5: Keeps them in line nicely.

6: Second set

7: All done, ready to fit.

8: As this FM had six chips, the 1M/254K solder pads need changing. This pic shows them in 'six chip mode'. They needed desoldering and resoldering on the 1M side. There are three (on this board anyway) the two you can see, and one near the top ROM socket.

9: fitted - you can just see the newly soldered pads as well.

10: Boots OK to 1.02 :)

11: And swapping the jumper on the board flips it over to 1.4.

12: Shielding needed some surgery to add clearance - I didn't fancy desoldering all six ROM sockets today, maybe another time :)

And thats it, easy to build and fit, and speeds up the ROMs which is needed if you're going to also fit the 68K booster kits that Exxos also sells.

cheers!

thgill
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: [PICS] Exxos TOS 1.2/1.4 Board - Build and fitment

Postby thgill » Sat Apr 02, 2016 6:04 pm

Very nice looking build. Also clever to mark on the rf shield with details and dates of mods.
Like retro computers, game consoles and other obsolete junk? Check out Todd's Nerd Cave on YouTube

ralcool
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby ralcool » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:05 pm

If I'm not mistaken Spiny, if you can fit that dallas chip into any of the spare 6 tos sockets under that board.. That program we found will read it.
4160STFM, (Blitter, 4Mb RAM 72pin, 16Mhz OC, IDE, HD FDD, Quad TOS, LaScan, DS1216E Clock, AT-Speed C16, Tom Kirk PS2 mouse, MegaST Keyboard)
What Intel giveth, Microsoft taketh away
Beer is proof that God loves us, and wants us to be happy
Don't let post count or join date fool you as to who is a newbie, and who knows what's what

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:22 pm

ralcool wrote:If I'm not mistaken Spiny, if you can fit that dallas chip into any of the spare 6 tos sockets under that board.. That program we found will read it.

I tried, but it's just a tiny bit too tall, so I fitted in in the STM instead :)

However, Exxos is making a new board, split into two pieces, which would probably allow the clock chip to fit ok. Hopefully available soon :)

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”