Gotek help

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Jammer
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Gotek help

Postby Jammer » Mon Dec 21, 2015 6:05 pm

Hi there - Just fitted a Gotek USB floppy emulator to my Falcon. Had a small hitch to start with, didn't know the jumper had to be in the S0 position, but all works now. Plugged in an old 2Gb memory stick and formatted it to 1,000 1.4mb partitions ! I've tried copying Another World onto drive 000 and it all works nicely :-) I can switch between the 1,000 drives by pressing the buttons on the front of the Gotek.
My question is, when I plug the memory stick into my PC, it only sees the first 1.4mb drive. What software can I use on the PC to copy more games onto all the other drives ? Thanks .....

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Gotek help

Postby joska » Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:57 pm

There is some Windows software that allows you to access these. I have never used it with my Gotek(s). I have two - one in an Amiga and one in a Mega ST. The one in the Amiga has been flashed with Cortex's firmware and the one in my Mega is flashed with HxC firmware. With these you only need to copy the disk image files to the USB-drive. No special formatting required.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

paul92706
Atari God
Atari God

Postby paul92706 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:05 pm

joska wrote:There is some Windows software that allows you to access these. I have never used it with my Gotek(s). I have two - one in an Amiga and one in a Mega ST. The one in the Amiga has been flashed with Cortex's firmware and the one in my Mega is flashed with HxC firmware. With these you only need to copy the disk image files to the USB-drive. No special formatting required.

Hi joska, i as well just bought a Gotek, but i have not yet plugged in a USB. I have it hooked up to my Falcon, and it is being reconized. Could you explain what the disk images? does this Gotek only read and write disk images? thanks
Atari Falcon CT60/CTPCI 14MB+ 512mb ATI9250 + NetUSBee
Atari Falcon030 CF 4gb + NetUSBee+ 14MB Ram
Atari TT030 2meg STRAM/16meg TTRAM + Nova Adaptor +Maxtor SCSI HD + DaynaPort Pocket SCSI

rfancella
Atarian
Atarian

Postby rfancella » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:10 pm

What firmware is on it?
Has it been flashed or is it original Gotek?

Thanks,
Ron

paul92706 wrote:
joska wrote:There is some Windows software that allows you to access these. I have never used it with my Gotek(s). I have two - one in an Amiga and one in a Mega ST. The one in the Amiga has been flashed with Cortex's firmware and the one in my Mega is flashed with HxC firmware. With these you only need to copy the disk image files to the USB-drive. No special formatting required.

Hi joska, i as well just bought a Gotek, but i have not yet plugged in a USB. I have it hooked up to my Falcon, and it is being reconized. Could you explain what the disk images? does this Gotek only read and write disk images? thanks

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:12 pm

If this Gotek has the original firmware then I can't help much. I tested it but it didn't work very well, and the special format was just annoying.

If you have a Gotek with HxC firmware (if not, you should!) you can find the manual here.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

paul92706
Atari God
Atari God

Postby paul92706 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:24 pm

joska wrote:If this Gotek has the original firmware then I can't help much. I tested it but it didn't work very well, and the special format was just annoying.

If you have a Gotek with HxC firmware (if not, you should!) you can find the manual here.

thanks joska, i will readup on the manual you provided. :D
Atari TT030 2meg STRAM/16meg TTRAM + Nova Adaptor +Maxtor SCSI HD + DaynaPort Pocket SCSI

Jammer
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Jammer » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:50 pm

All running now. In summary, for a Falcon, move the jumper to S0, (3rd from the end), and use this software to format the memory stick and copy files onto it.
http://www.ipcas.com/support/usb-floppy ... nload.html you just need the top file.
The software gives you 100 floppy disks/partitions on the memory stick.
I couldn't get it to work with Windows 10, so used it with Windows 10, VirtualBox, Windows XP :-)

This isn't the drive I bought, but its almost the same.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Emulateur-Lec ... Sw7ThUp66c

paul92706
Atari God
Atari God

Postby paul92706 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:55 pm

rfancella wrote:What firmware is on it?
Has it been flashed or is it original Gotek?

Thanks,
Ron

paul92706 wrote:

i believe its the Original, i have not touched the unit, so i am assuming it is Original.

paul92706
Atari God
Atari God

Postby paul92706 » Mon Dec 21, 2015 11:57 pm

Jammer wrote:All running now. In summary, for a Falcon, move the jumper to S0, (3rd from the end), and use this software to format the memory stick and copy files onto it.
http://www.ipcas.com/support/usb-floppy ... nload.html you just need the top file.
I couldn't get it to work with Windows 10, so used it with Windows 10, VirtualBox, Windows XP :-)

Thanks Jammer i will try it out, as soon as i get a USB flash stick. I believe they are only compatiable with 2gig and 4gig sticks correct?

paul92706
Atari God
Atari God

Postby paul92706 » Thu Dec 31, 2015 8:45 pm

Jammer wrote:All running now. In summary, for a Falcon, move the jumper to S0, (3rd from the end), and use this software to format the memory stick and copy files onto it.

Hi Jammer, i just got a USB (4gb) stick and formatted with 100 floppy disk/partitions, all is working great now, but one small problem, looks like when i switch from the 100 floppy disk (button 1-100) on Gotek attached to the Falcon it is not refreshing the new floppy disk (Floppy disk 02) i swithch too, it seems to be stuck at same Floppy Disk 00 everytime i access it. I don't know if its a Mint issue or Gotek issue. :shrug:

ChrisTG
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby ChrisTG » Fri Jan 01, 2016 10:11 pm

if you are running the Gotek with it's original Firmware, you need to modify the circuit so that the Atari machines can detect the media change.
Have a look here: http://www.tonmann.com/2014/08/gotek-fl ... -atari-st/ (The sorry subject detecting media(disk) change)

paul92706
Atari God
Atari God

Postby paul92706 » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:07 am

ChrisTG wrote:if you are running the Gotek with it's original Firmware, you need to modify the circuit so that the Atari machines can detect the media change.
Have a look here: http://www.tonmann.com/2014/08/gotek-fl ... -atari-st/ (The sorry subject detecting media(disk) change)

thanks chrisTG! i just did this mod and wha la! worked perfect!! :cheers:

ChrisTG
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby ChrisTG » Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:31 pm

You're welcome! Nice to hear that it works for you, too. :cheers:

richyb808
Atarian
Atarian

Postby richyb808 » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:59 am

paul92706 wrote:
ChrisTG wrote:if you are running the Gotek with it's original Firmware, you need to modify the circuit so that the Atari machines can detect the media change.

thanks chrisTG! i just did this mod and wha la! worked perfect!! :cheers:

Out of interest, what diodes did you use?

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”