Interested in new hardware? FLoppy drive adaptors and power supplies

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

stedy
Retro freak
Retro freak

Interested in new hardware? FLoppy drive adaptors and power supplies

Postby stedy » Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:43 pm

Hi,

This is my first post here so be nice to me.

I'm a developer of adaptors and some expansions for retro computer systems, mainly for the Amiga computer systems (don't ban me for that comment). I have been contacted by a few Amiga/Atari fans asking about potential availability of adaptors for the Atari ST/Falcon based on existing designs.

I currently sell two main product groups, the first are ATX power adaptors. You just plug in an ATX power supply and these adaptors provide on/off electronics and convenient connection points for existing power leads. More details here http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/designs/Amiga_ATX_Adaptor/amiga_atx_adaptor.html I could adapt a PCB for the Atari, putting the relevant power connectors on a PCB, to provide a plug and go solution. Would something like this be of interest?
To make it viable, would need to look at quantities of 30+ units to make the manufacture viable and price per unit <£10. You need to supply the ATX PSU.

The other design, is a plug in floppy adapter. The Atari floppy interface, is strikingly similar to the Amigas but subtly different to the PC. For a number of years, I have produced adaptors for the Amiga that allow PC floppy drives to be plugged in un-modified. See the details here http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/designs/Floppy_Adaptor_V2/floppy_adaptor_v2.html, the Atari interface is strikingly similar. I would need to change pin 2 on the Atari side from nRDY on the Amiga to Density select for the STFM and Falcon or pull it low for the 520ST. The motor/select logic should be covered by the existing design as is. Price per adaptor would be around £13 each. It currently only supports 720K format disks, even in a 1.44 Mb drive. I'm currently looking into adding DD (720K) support for the Atari into my revised V2.5 design which is off to manufacture soon. Would there be interest in this?

Comments welcome.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Re: Interested in new hardware? FLoppy drive adaptors and power supplies

Postby spiny » Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:56 pm

I'm all for new hardware, and the PSU stuff sounds interesting, but the floppy drive stuff seems a little redundant ? PC floppy drives already work unmodified with STs, they just need the DF set properly on the drive itself. I have quite a few STs with PC dries fitted with no mods (other than jumper settings)

stedy
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby stedy » Sun Dec 06, 2015 10:56 pm

Hi,

The floppy adapters are primarily aimed at users who just want to plug in a drive and not worry about the specific model/type and use it.

The power adapters appear easier to create, will do some more research on the specific connectors shortly.

Hempsa
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Hempsa » Mon Dec 07, 2015 10:52 am

Yes, as I have big pile of different pc drives, that floppy adapter is perfect to plug in those drives to my amigas and ste without any changes.
So, like I said in my mail, I'd be interested of two adapters for my atari and one more for amiga :)

grobda
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby grobda » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:57 am

can you run 2 floppies off the internal miggy/st connector like a PC? i'd be up for an adaptor that does that, preferably with a flip switch to swap df0 and df1 around. then I could run a gotek floppy and a real floppy and boot off either.

stedy
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby stedy » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:10 pm

Hi,

Can someone confirm what the logic level on the FDDS (pin 2) of the floppy drive is?
Is it an output from a 22V10?

This information will help me finalise any changes to the floppy adaptor.

Post by grobda » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:57 am

can you run 2 floppies off the internal miggy/st connector like a PC? i'd be up for an adaptor that does that, preferably with a flip switch to swap df0 and df1 around. then I could run a gotek floppy and a real floppy and boot off either.

Currently you use one adapter per drive. PC floppy drive cables and their twists get confusing! 8O

I can't easily swap DF0: and DF1: on the Amiga due to the MTR0 signal, when I need MTRx. IT might be easier on the ST as there is only one MOTOR ON signal. Still learning/reading.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Dec 09, 2015 9:31 am

grobda wrote:can you run 2 floppies off the internal miggy/st connector like a PC? i'd be up for an adaptor that does that, preferably with a flip switch to swap df0 and df1 around. then I could run a gotek floppy and a real floppy and boot off either.

I see no reason why this shouldn't be possible on the Amiga, as the Amiga has both drive select lines on the internal floppy connector. I have two drives (Gotek + original floppy) in my A600 and only needed to replace the floppy cable with a longer one with three connectors (and the "PC twist" which was already present on the cable I used).

In the ST it's not so easy, as only the Stacy has both drive select signals connected to the internal floppy connector. In all other ST's you must solder a jumper wire from the floppy connector (pin 12 IIRC) to the drive 1 select pin on the soundchip. You can then use a new floppy cable with two drive connectors and the "PC twist". Or without the twist if at least one of the drives has a drive 0/1 jumper. The Gotek does. Should be pretty easy to support this with a dedicated adapter though, one can use a jumper wire with a clip to pick up the drive 1 select signal.

Btw on the Gotek you can set both drive 0 and drive 1 jumpers. With the modification described above it will then work as both drive A and drive B on the ST.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:49 pm

joska wrote:In the ST it's not so easy, as only the Stacy has both drive select signals connected to the internal floppy connector.

AFAIK it's only on the 520ST both signals aren't available on the internal cable. An A<>B switch can easily be made by just swapping the output from the YM-chip to its connections to the motherboard which would only work if both signals were available on the cable.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:18 pm

troed wrote:AFAIK it's only on the 520ST both signals aren't available on the internal cable.

The Mega, STF and STFM doesn't have this. The 520ST doesn't have an internal connector at all. And not 100% sure, but I don't think the Falcon has this either. The Stacy and the STE do have both drive select signals on the internal floppy connector.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Wed Dec 09, 2015 8:33 pm

joska wrote:
troed wrote:AFAIK it's only on the 520ST both signals aren't available on the internal cable.

The Mega, STF and STFM doesn't have this. The 520ST doesn't have an internal connector at all. And not 100% sure, but I don't think the Falcon has this either. The Stacy and the STE do have both drive select signals on the internal floppy connector.

You're right - I just looked at the 1040 STFM vs 1040 STE schematics. Luckily I've only made A<>B switches for the internal cable on STE.

stedy
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby stedy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:14 pm

I found this when researching the particulars of the floppy interface, http://atari.8bitchip.info/flomodam.html
Working through the design to see how I can adapt the design to use the diskchange signal from the PC floppy drive to drive WP correctly.

Gotek and HxC drives are easier to work with than real floppy drives as they only need a select signal, a real floppy drive needs the select signal and a MOTOR ON signal, the select and MOTOR ON signal get latched to enable the drive to spin up.

The adaptors I currently make and the updated V2.5 design are shown here about halfway into the post.
https://ianstedman.wordpress.com/2015/0 ... f-designs/
This plugs directly into the PC FDD.

If you just want to swap drive A/B this could be easily done on another small PCB.

Still researching and learning before I make a product decision.

Frank B
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Frank B » Wed Dec 16, 2015 6:09 pm

stedy wrote:Hi,

This is my first post here so be nice to me.

We're genuinely nice here :) I'm an Amiga fan too btw!
It seems like a good idea to sell to both groups. It'll drive the price down.

Welcome to the forum.

Frank

stedy
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby stedy » Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:29 pm

Hi,

I have a provisional 720K floppy adaptor for Amiga/ST. A schematic (2089x1429 pixels) is here:
http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/downloads/Floppy_V2.5-sch.png
Have I got the diskchange logic correct and the pinout?

The PCB is shown here:
Image, the original drive cable plugs into the top connector, the power is on the left hand side. The replacement PC floppy drive fits into the bottom connector. Solder jumpers configure the various options and DS0/DS1 is set by a jumper.

I now have 150 power adaptor PCBs in stock. My regular/big box adaptor should work with the Atari ST/TT as it provides, +5V, -5V, +12V and -12V. There is a solder pad for the ACFAIL/POWERGOOD signal used by the Atari (and Amiga A3000).

How much current is required on the -5V supply?

Adaptors will be available in January 2016.

Happy new year.

Ian

Hempsa
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Hempsa » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:34 am

Received the floppy adapter prototype last week. I have tested it in my STe with Sony, Mitsumi and Nec pc-drives without any problems. Disk change detection also works nicely. Looking forward for the final product :)

atarian90
Atari User
Atari User

Postby atarian90 » Sat Mar 26, 2016 9:33 am

Interesting products! I am looking forward to the final products myself.

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:44 am

joska wrote:

Does this mean that if I have an STE and connect a Gotek into it (basically just replace the floppy), I'd have both drives available?

Hempsa
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Hempsa » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:23 am

Hi Ian,

Any news? :)

stedy
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby stedy » Fri Oct 14, 2016 8:40 pm

Hi,

Catching up with forum posts.
I had 75 assembled PCBs arrive last week, they need testing and packaging. Aim to have them ready for sale at the end of the month.
Price will be £12 each.

Ian

stedy
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby stedy » Sun Nov 13, 2016 11:01 pm

Hi,

I've caught up with the backlog of testing, the adapters are now available, details here:
http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/designs/Floppy_Adaptor_V2/floppy_adaptor_v2.html and you can order from here, http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/test/Sales/sales.html.
The assembled PCB looks like this:

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Mon Nov 14, 2016 1:18 am

joska wrote:In the ST it's not so easy, as only the Stacy has both drive select signals connected to the internal floppy connector. In all other ST's you must solder a jumper wire from the floppy connector (pin 12 IIRC) to the drive 1 select pin on the soundchip.

Btw is this really true? Just looked at http://dev-docs.atariforge.org, the 520 ST schematics shows both DS0 and DS1 connected between the Yamaha chip and the floppy connector. Not saying the wire isn't needed, I'm just curious.

EDIT: ah, you talked about the internal connector, not the external one.

athensnet
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby athensnet » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:41 pm

stedy wrote:Hi,

I've caught up with the backlog of testing, the adapters are now available, details here:
http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/Amiga/designs/Floppy_Adaptor_V2/floppy_adaptor_v2.html and you can order from here, http://www.ianstedman.co.uk/test/Sales/sales.html.
The assembled PCB looks like this:

Is it possible to have an interface for an external floppy on Atari ST(e)?

stedy
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby stedy » Mon Nov 21, 2016 11:13 pm

athensnet wrote:Is it possible to have an interface for an external floppy on Atari ST(e)?

I need to do a bit more reading and studying of the schematics before I confirm. I think an adaptor cable would work, will research it an let you know.

Ian

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”