USB keyboard/mouse interface

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: USB keyboard/mouse interface

Postby Fujiyama » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:27 pm

Wongck: that sounds like a great deal! No such luck here though. I'll do some more online searching before ordering.

Nobox: Thanks for the RX/TX tip. I didn't know about the 5V/3.3V differences.

Atari joystick support: I completely understand that you want to concentrate on new hardware, but for my particular use it would be nice to plug those old Atari CX-40 joysticks into the interface and use them as before, even if the keyboard and mouse now will be USB. Any thoughts on how this could be done?

Boot time/SD card speed: I wasn't aware of any boot time, but of course -being a computer it has to boot! 12 seconds sounds a lot though. Do you have a fast memory card in your Pi setup? I read something interesting about that: there are claims that faster memory cards only makes a difference with large files while slower cards don't make any difference if the files are small. I don't know about the contents inside the disk image file for this project though, but there's probably some large OS core files there. More about that and other tips on how to make booting on the Raspberry Pi faster here. Perhaps the 12 seconds waiting can be made shorter :D
Arne's Atari USB HID interface seemed like such a promising project and I'm guessing there would be no boot time there (being just an interface). But a USB keyboard/mouse interface that actually works today is of course preferred regardless :wink:
Last edited by Fujiyama on Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

nobox
Atariator
Atariator

Postby nobox » Sat Oct 15, 2016 5:11 pm

the 12 seconds boot time is not that much, the atari isnt much faster. In Practise, there is nothing to worry about. look in the video from neogain

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sat Oct 15, 2016 6:15 pm

nobox wrote:Connecting the ataris TX direct to the raspberrys Rx would surely destroy your raspberry.

That is something that has to be resolved. A simple voltage divider would suffice. If you can't write to the IKBD keyboard then lots of games will fail.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

nobox
Atariator
Atariator

Postby nobox » Sat Oct 15, 2016 10:02 pm

I know that this can be solved and I will do by a 10K Resistor. I just wanted to warn people not to destroy their raspberrys

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:13 am

A USD$2 voltage level from one of the online shop will do it... but wow... you do it much cheaper with a 10K resistor. :)
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:11 am

nobox wrote:the 12 seconds boot time is not that much, the atari isnt much faster. In Practise, there is nothing to worry about. look in the video from neogain

If you can live with that delay then no problem. I'm more curious about poweroffs. I have an old RPi running PiMame that I built into a joystick. At first I just unplugged it to turn it off, but that corrupted the SD card several times. Is that problem solved in more recent versions of RaspBian/MiniBian?
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:40 am

That's a good point Joska.
Since this is a computer it should just be turned off but "shut down" but two power switches for the Atari ST would be impractical. A circuit with a delayed shutdown using stored power (rechargeable battery/capacitor?) perhaps, or as suggested in various forums: setting the SD card to read-only if possible...
I'm sure others have put the Raspberry Pi to similar use elsewhere (switching it off by pulling the power) though I haven't come across any ready to use solution. Anyone?

EDIT: I found an interesting thread on that subject with possible solutions.
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:08 pm

In fact You have given the solution.
Create a Linux disk image, boot the disk image in ram without persistence, like for a live disk and you are done.
You can switch it off like a pig but it will remain permanently safe. Not very nice, but easy to do.
Philippe

Firebee, Falcon, STE, Aranym Box, Hatari Pi Box.
My music http://www.philippeworld.net/
My photography http://phil-67.deviantart.com/
EasyAraMint, BeeKey and BeePi https://sites.google.com/site/emaappsarch/home

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Oct 25, 2016 5:49 pm

joska wrote:I've made (well, atleast started to make!) a USB keyboard/mouse interface. Mouse and keyboard is working, but I'm having difficulties with the hub so I can't use both at the same time yet.

Wow, that's almost to the day a year ago! Tonight I tested this interface with a wireless Logitech keyboard+mouse, and both are working perfectly fine. Which makes this interface usable, atleast if you have a mouse/keyboard combination and doesn't have to use a hub.

The current interface is a bit bulky (and slightly costly), but I've just ordered some smaller and cheaper components. I will add support for Atari joysticks while waiting for the new parts to arrive. If those parts works as expected a complete interface will cost somewhere around 10-12 Euros to build.

Messy Falcon.jpg

In this picture you can see the Arduino with a USB Host Shield, and the Logitech receiver plugged into the USB shield. The USB cable is for programming the Arduino.

As you can see my Falcon (and desk!) is a mess now, I'll have to do something about that before I do any more work to this interface :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jo Even

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:16 pm

Congrats!
Is the hub problem a general Arduino/USB shield issue?

Are you a good person?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:16 pm

It seems to be a problem with the USB Host Library.
Jo Even

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:03 pm

Excellent news, I use a Logitech combo keyboard and mouse with the USB wireless dongle too :-)
It looks like your are in the right direction.

One curious question : is your vga switcher controlled
by the Falcon? What model is it?
Philippe

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:33 pm

Faucon2001 wrote:One curious question : is your vga switcher controlled
by the Falcon? What model is it?

It's a generic el-cheapo KVM I bought on eBay.

No, it's not controlled by the Falcon. Atleast not directly (yet). If you look close you'll see a small PCB sitting on the keyboard connector. That's an Arduino that's listening to the keyboard and acting on various keypress combinations. One of them is to switch video source (Videl and Eclipse). The KVM is slightly hacked to bypass the selector button and control the VGA switch directly.

I'm trying to snoop the Falcon -> keyboard communication too, so I can write commands to the Arduino to control the KVM and also switch off it's PSU (ATX) but I currently have some problems with the SoftwareSerial library. Maybe I'll end up using a separate Arduino for that, they only cost €3 or so on eBay anyway...
Jo Even

Faucon2001
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Faucon2001 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:31 pm

Thanks, interesting integration.
Always pushing to the limit ! I like that.
Philippe

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:12 pm

joska wrote:It's a generic el-cheapo KVM I bought on eBay.

I was going to get one of these cheapo KVM but did not as I do not understand how to connect mouse & keyboard when there is only one compatible USB port. The other port seems like those used by printers and I cannot find any keyboard nor mouse that uses such port.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:25 pm

wongck wrote:I was going to get one of these cheapo KVM but did not as I do not understand how to connect mouse & keyboard when there is only one compatible USB port. The other port seems like those used by printers and I cannot find any keyboard nor mouse that uses such port.

I have never tested the "K" or "M" parts of this KVM switch, only the "V" :) You will probably need a hub to connect two USB deviced to this KVM. Or use a wireless keyboard/mouse combo.
Jo Even

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:59 pm

Ok, Thanks Joska.
I guess there is no mention of it either in the user guide.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Oct 27, 2016 7:37 am

wongck wrote:I guess there is no mention of it either in the user guide.

It's a traditional Hong Kong userguide - it's for a completely different model :D
Jo Even

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:02 pm

:lol: :lol:

Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Methanoid » Tue Jan 23, 2018 7:43 pm

Whatever happened to this project? Great idea.. I want to include my STE in my KVM switcher so I can use my PC KB and Mouse with my STE and have the output on my multisync monitor..... Price sounded great. Technical failures? Or What?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:13 pm

Methanoid wrote:Whatever happened to this project?

Absolutely nothing :) By the time the smaller/cheaper components arrived I lost interest. If anybody feels competent to finish my semi-finished (working, but not supporting all IKBD features so may not work in games) code then please get in touch. IIRC I didn't add joystick support either, but it should be trivial to support USB joysticks. The problem is that hubs still does not work - there is a problem with the USB host library. And without a hub you're restricted to a single device. Not a big problem with keyboard and mouse since you can use a wireless set, but it will for sure not work with KVM's.
Jo Even

Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Methanoid » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:40 pm

Nobox

This is great if it allows USB keyboard and mouse..

Can I suggest some possible improvements/expansions?

1) If the mapping of USB keyboard to ST was stored as a text file it could be easily adapted for ANY other mappings. These could then easily be inserted without needing to recompile.
2) If it reads the mouse, how about joystick(s)? Would need some way to deal with the times you might need/want two joysticks at same time...

Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Methanoid » Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:41 pm

dupe

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”