68020 booster

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

68020 booster

Postby rpineau » Sun Jul 19, 2015 1:27 am

As previously discussed in another thread I have been working on a 68020 card for my MegaSTE. I intend to make version for STF (which should also work on Mega ST) and STE once this proto is done and tested.
exxos allowed me to post the progress on his website (instead of doing it on mine as I wanted to keep this with the V2 booster we're working on as some of the CPLD code is common to the 2 project).
You can find the current status there :
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/020BOOSTER/

I'll update that page as I make progress and will also do some quick status update here (mostly post about the issue I have and ask for help :) ).
Regards,
Rodolphe
Falcon + AB040 + Eclipse PCI + ATI Rage VGA card + NE2000 Ethernec + HxC Floppy Emulator
MegaSTE 4MB + CosmosEx / 1040 STF for hardware dev
http://www.rti-zone.org/atari.php

NikolaL
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: 68020 booster

Postby NikolaL » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:32 am

Looks ok.
Start up rom is up to users in this progress. And can be sell as well as anything related to mc68000 system roms

Users wait for plug in speed and me too :)
Place for 5 volts, atleast 1000uF 6.3V or 16V capacitator into board at your psu power plug :wink:

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Sun Jul 19, 2015 6:55 am

The proto is for MegaSTE which already has TOS 2.06 (which supports the 68020).
When I make a STF (and STE) version I might have to add a TOS 2.06 on it (probably in 16bit first on the proto for these machine).
Rodolphe
Falcon + AB040 + Eclipse PCI + ATI Rage VGA card + NE2000 Ethernec + HxC Floppy Emulator

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:11 am

I wish and waiting for a Version for a Atari Mega ST 64pin CPU Socket without a TOS 2.06 option ...

Many STs have already TOS 2.06 !
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Sun Jul 19, 2015 5:52 pm

@Frank, I can definitely do a STF version without TOS if there is more demand for it than one with the TOS.

Rodolphe

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:35 am

I've received the board and assembled it.
I updated the status page .
Rodolphe

Assembled_front.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NikolaL
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby NikolaL » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:38 am

In some point KAOS tos may be usefull for stf, for those who love to add 2 or 6 eproms with tos. Or you may make pool for vote
to add tos rom-space on booster board with jumpers, people can still use roms on many mainboards
Yes at this moment that board is for MEGA ST computer, but idea is DIL 64 pin socked board can be used anywhere.
Place for 5 volts, atleast 1000uF 6.3V or 16V capacitator into board at your psu power plug :wink:

jvas
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jvas » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:05 am

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:49 pm

I emailed Tekmos... no reply. They don't seem to be interested in selling small quantities.
As for the Apollo core, exxos spoke to these guys. They are only interested in selling the whole card, not just he FPGA with the core code (let alone provide the VHDL for it).

Rodolphe

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:51 pm

NikolaL wrote:In some point KAOS tos may be usefull for stf, for those who love to add 2 or 6 eproms with tos. Or you may make pool for vote
to add tos rom-space on booster board with jumpers, people can still use roms on many mainboards
Yes at this moment that board is for MEGA ST computer, but idea is DIL 64 pin socked board can be used anywhere.

This card is for the Mega STE (not Mega ST). Any other machine will need a TOS 2.06 for this to works as previous TOS won't work with a 68020. I never used the KAOS TOS so I don't know if it works with a 68020.

ctirad
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ctirad » Mon Jul 20, 2015 2:34 pm

The third possibility would be the pure software emulation. There are a low cost MCUs with pretty fast ARM core and integrated SDRAM controller. In addition they have other useful capabilities like USB HOST, SD/SDIO, LAN MAC etc..

arf
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby arf » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:47 pm

rpineau wrote: I never used the KAOS TOS so I don't know if it works with a 68020.

KAOS 1.42 is fully 68020/68030 compatible. It was part of some German 68030 accelerators sold by Wacker Elektronik, Karlsruhe.

arf
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby arf » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:49 pm

arf wrote:
rpineau wrote: I never used the KAOS TOS so I don't know if it works with a 68020.

KAOS 1.42 is fully 68020/68030 compatible. It was part of some German 68030 accelerators sold by Wacker Elektronik, Karlsruhe.

And I would not want a 256KB TOS option for the board. There are lots of other solutions for that. ALT-RAM/TT-RAM with full CPU speed would be a lot more tempting. Then everyone can load the TOS into RAM (which is fastest), or use MiNT or MagiC anyway.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Fri Jul 24, 2015 1:57 pm

rpineau wrote:As for the Apollo core, exxos spoke to these guys. They are only interested in selling the whole card, not just he FPGA with the core code (let alone provide the VHDL for it).

Rodolphe

I once was in contact with them nearly a year ago. I even sent a mist for evaluation to their main developer. Haven't heard anything from him since he received the device and he also doesn't answer requests to send the device back.

Their business model is 'world domination' he told me on the phone ...

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:25 pm

Quick update.
I tested the card in the MegaSTE.. and it didn't explode. So at least that's good.
But of course it doesn't work yet. I updated the status page with my findings. More test next weekend once I fix more of the CPLD code.
I think there might be some error in the Motorola AN944.

Rodolphe

paul92706
Atari God
Atari God

Postby paul92706 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:35 pm

rpineau wrote:Quick update.
I tested the card in the MegaSTE.. and it didn't explode. So at least that's good.
But of course it doesn't work yet. I updated the status page with my findings. More test next weekend once I fix more of the CPLD code.
I think there might be some error in the Motorola AN944.

Rodolphe

Hi Rodolphe, this reminds me of reading somewhere on Rodolphe's Czuba's website, in the early stages of development of the CT60 (proto-type) had exploded, i think it was somthing along the crystal clock oscillator if i remember correctly lol! things you developers go threw huh! :coffe: try not to short circuit yourself :lol: nice job buddy!
Atari Falcon CT60/CTPCI 14MB+ 512mb ATI9250 + NetUSBee
Atari Falcon030 CF 4gb + NetUSBee+ 14MB Ram
Atari TT030 2meg STRAM/16meg TTRAM + Nova Adaptor +Maxtor SCSI HD + DaynaPort Pocket SCSI

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Sun Aug 02, 2015 4:35 am

Quick update. I fixed some equation and I now see what looks like proper access to the TOS. The CPU even runs for 7 full seconds and then /AS stays up and nothing more seems to be happening (I need to add more probe to check for buss error and what not).
I even saw what looks like a proper access to the keyboard ACIA by monitoring its CS1 pin and the VPA signal (see traces on the status page).
I know my MegaSTE display the Atari logo after about 4 seconds.. so here 7 seconds with a black screen means something is not hapening and the CPU get stuc accessing something.. but what !!!
/DTACK is tie to DSACK1 and pretty much follow /AS (/ST_AS).
TOS access seem to be fine as I see a lot of them using the ROM /CE pin.

Next step will be to make sure /UDS and /LDS are asserted as they should... may be there is a bad bus access and the CPU loops trying to get data from one of the component.

If anybody has any idea.. let me know :)
I have 2 more board that I might assemble if some people with a MegaSTE or STE want to help (TOS 2.06 required).
I use Atmel WinCUPL with one of their ATF1504 (I have to move to the 1504 from the 1502.. not enough space :) ) and their USB JTAG cable.

Rodolphe

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Sun Aug 02, 2015 11:43 am

There are some GAL Listings from the PAK68/2 68020/16Mhz -> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/279 ... T/0a0a.htm

I do not know if that helps ?

Perhaps ask pakman (Holger Zimmermann) for help ?
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:16 pm

Hi Frank
I looked at them but the language is slightly different from one software to the next. The PAK uses a state machine as it runs at 16MHz.
For now I'm just trying to get the CPU to run at the bus speed. I don't want to start working on higher speed until I gat the basic version working.
I'll ping Holger if I can't find any solution.
The issue is that even though there are sources for 68020 card on 68000 system they all use old type GAL and once you move to a CPLD (ATF150x in my case) you have to use the tool from the vendor. CUPL is not a bad language and is very close to GALasm and other GAL language but it has its specifics. It's also not super stable and the error message are somewhat misleading sometime and don't tell you exactly what's wrong. The editor is also not really good. Why did I chose these.. because they are 5V device. All the other manufacturer no longer offer 5V device (Latice, Xilinx,...).
I saw that AlanH is using the XC9572XL from Xilinx which is a 3.3v device with 5V compatible I/O. Even though you can find it in some places it is no longer manufactured. So not too much choice here which mean converting code I can find.
I made the choice to start from scratch using the Motorola application note. So either I suck at converting code from 4 GALs to 1 CPLD .. or there are issues in their code. I spent he week tweaking the code , trying to understand every part and making it readable and somewhat simpler for me to use.
I know my /AS20 -> /ST_AS is good (verified with logic analyzer and /ST_AS is being asserted on S2).
I'm going to verify all the address pin to make sure there is not an issue there and that the CPU is not accessing the wrong address but I already did that a lot before sending the board to production.. but better recheck and be sure...
I checked that the E clock was good too. NO issue there. I saw an ACIA access which also looked good (monitored /VPA and one of the CS pin on the ACIA).
So this is pretty much where I am right now... trying to get it work at 8MHz on with minimal amount of code in the CPLD to adapt the signals.

Rodolphe

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:56 pm

So I was taking another look at a few of the 68020 board and docs (AN944, LUCAS, ...)... they use PAL16R4.
I looked at the equation and basically copied them all in a single file, fix the names to remove unneeded pins and use internal pins of the CPLD.
And as you all know.. so far it doesn't fully works... then I went back to the data-sheet of the PAL14R4 .. well well well .. look at that .. pins 14 to 17 are registered output ALWAYS .. which mean I need to recheck all my equation and based on which pin on the original PAL design they were on, make them registered (aka hey go through a D-Type flip-flop clocked by whichever clock was present on pin 1 of the GAL.. in my case the system clock).

Sometimes it pays to pay attention to the component and not just the equations.
Rodolphe

ctirad
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ctirad » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:08 pm

rpineau wrote:I saw that AlanH is using the XC9572XL from Xilinx which is a 3.3v device with 5V compatible I/O. Even though you can find it in some places it is no longer manufactured.

The Xilinx XC9572XL (XL = 5v tolerant 3.3V logic) is manufactured and widely available. You probably confused it with the old obsolete nonXL version, which was pure 5V logic.

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:18 pm

probably :)
Thanks for pointing that out.
But I'm not going to change the design now.. at least not until I get this working .. as there are pin compatible I could latter move the the Xilinx device and redo the code in the ISE env.
Rodolphe

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Sun Aug 09, 2015 2:45 am

I did more work on this today.
Some good news (fixed DSACK1 and ACIA access ... I think)... and some not so good news as it still doesn't work.
There is definitive progress and you can see the update on the status page.
Here is a quick picture of the test setup :
MegaSTE_Booster.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rpineau
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rpineau » Mon Aug 10, 2015 1:29 am

So I check all t he connection.. no short between the ST_BG pin and any other pins.. so no idea why it does what it does even if not connected to anything(see trace on the status page for the "/BG issue" ).
For the MegaSTE schematics, the CPU /BG pin is directly connected to pin 9 of U2 (PAL 16R4, input 7). IT probably gets out through one of the output to U11 as the final /BG sent is coming out of that PAL on pin 19 (XCPUBG). SO there is NOTHING connected to this BG pin except for U2 pin 9 and that's an input !!!
At this point I'm going to assemble a 2nd board to see if I get the same issue (I took one of the PCB I have and checked for shorts there to incase it could be a PCB manufacturing issue... nothing).

Any idea ?

Next time I connect the logic analyser to the MegaSTE I'll take trace of these pins with the 68000 in place before removing it to insert my board. I might also make a trace without any CPU to see what's going on.
Rodolphe

ctirad
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ctirad » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:10 am

rpineau wrote:Next step will be to make sure /UDS and /LDS are asserted as they should... may be there is a bad bus access and the CPU loops trying to get data from one of the component.

According to author of the FURIA card, the data strobe signals have to be dealyed at least 20ns after /AS otherwise the computer does not even start or crashes in a few seconds.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”