ST Book problems

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

alexb
Atari User
Atari User

ST Book problems

Postby alexb » Fri May 01, 2015 7:23 pm

The harddisk in my ST Book has died (doesn't spin up anymore). When I turn on the system with no HDD connected, I just get four bombs after the memory test.

I seem to remember that there should be a ROM disk with the harddisk utilities that should be accessible even when the IDE disk has failed - but that doesn't seem the case. Or my system has another problem.

As the system disk in the ST Book is just a normal 2.5" IDE drive, I tried creating a bootable AHDI disk from a IDE-CF adapter with a small CF card, but that just ends in the same four bombs.

Any ideas what I could try to revive the system?

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Re: ST Book problems

Postby Dal » Fri May 01, 2015 7:48 pm

I had a similar issue. I ended up preparing the CF on another machine to get it going.

You could try finding a disk image somewhere (I think Ppera has one on his site) then write this to the cf card. Or you may be able to use Hatari to prepare it?
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Fri May 01, 2015 7:52 pm

There's also a motherboard reset procedure you can try:

Remove batteries and PSU, hold sleep and power for half a minute or so then power up again.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Fri May 01, 2015 7:53 pm

Set up the CF Card on a Atari Falcon ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

alexb
Atari User
Atari User

Postby alexb » Sat May 02, 2015 1:00 pm

Dal wrote:There's also a motherboard reset procedure you can try:
Remove batteries and PSU, hold sleep and power for half a minute or so then power up again.

Oh, thanks, didn't know about that. I'll try that one first.

Postby Guest » Tue May 05, 2015 7:42 pm

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27884&p=272652&hilit=the+three+stbooks#p272000
check out here youll find more tips and gathered posts and topics about the stbook

i have two now booting fine with cfcards the other one has three lines now on the screen although i got rid of the one that was there i generated three but i think its just a small issue had the same thing before and its the thru plated holes need more attention

if you dont have a falcon etc i can prepare you a 2GB cfcard and send together with the correct adapter
i got 5 of each recently for this project and so two of each spare although one cf adapter ill prob use in my old 386 laptop
just as it is fat32 friendly win98osr2 and has a floppy drive
anyway

i would wile inside replace the internal cell
once it boots and resets aok then leave it on for a few hours to make it usable ...
i can add to the cf card the default tools and apps that come with the book

the files ive placed on devdocs i think if not ill post them up

i think the archive is in the linked topic to previous stbooks ive done up a bit
added sdcard cfcard etc

sometimes you can recover the data from old drives
you need some 'crack it' spray its a freeze spray but comes in a very big can and very cheep
£4 a 500ML tin

so a method i used before with old 2.5" drives
is
above the bearing for the platter is usually an exposed disk in the center
so use some blutack and make a well cup around the bearing outer....
plug the drive into the falcon cable secondary
and make it stable and slowly fill the well with the liquid from the can
some say put it in the freezer but this is only if the heads wont move and thats down to the sound it makes
and if the platter does indeed spin up
so then power up the falcon and hope the platter spins up
and the problem with the motor did not cause the drive circuits on the hdd board to fail
if it did you can still get it back perhaps using the same drives electronics and a transplant
here i have two pcb from these old drives{all the same conner ones }
i know the electronics is aok most often it spins up and will run for a few hours with a few fills of the cup
or will run for 10 mins then goodbye... but its a chance if you need stuff back

so sometimes you can get the data back

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”