Diagnose Megafile60

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

mickymouse
Atarian
Atarian

Diagnose Megafile60

Postby mickymouse » Mon Mar 02, 2015 7:15 pm

Hi all,

I'm trying to fix one old megafile 60 harddisc which doesn't boot anymore.

When starting up (Atari Mega1 with external megafile 60 disc) I am able to see that the harddisc is properly turning on. Unfortunately, it doesn't boot anymore. Further, I even miss the C-icon on the desktop screen.

Tried to run hddriver, but this didn't find any unit on the SCSI bus.

Do you have any advice where to start ?
Should I check the cable ? Anyone having a spec for the cable ?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Diagnose Megafile60

Postby qq1975b » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:16 am

I had a similar issue and I think I managed to format it with ICD tools...and later I could install HDDriver. HDDriver doesn't detect it? or detects it but couldn't access to it?
Trying to learn...

1st1
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby 1st1 » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:33 pm

Also in my experience HDDRIVER can not handle Megafiles correctly to format/install. Better using older version of AHDI. But first you have to open the drive and read the type of the RLL-Drive. Then when you have the type you can select it in HINSTALL for lowlevel format. Then partition, then install driver. If it doesn't work, then you do something wrong. Maybe connected the DMA cable to the OUT connector???
Power without the Price. It's not a bug. It's a feature. _/|\_ATARI

1040STFM in PC-Tower (PAK68/2, OvrScn, 4 MB, 1GB SCSI, CD-ROM...) * 2x Falcon 030 32GB/14MB+ScrnBlstrIII * 2x TT030 73GB/20MB+Nova * 520/1040STFM * 520/1040STE * 260/520ST/+ * some Mega ST * 2x Mega STE 500MB/4MB+M.CoCo * Stacy * STBook * SLM605 * SLM804 * SLM605 * SMM804 * SH 204/205 * Megafile 30/44/60 * SF314 * SF354 * 5x Pofo * PC3

mickymouse
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mickymouse » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:23 pm

qq1975b wrote:I had a similar issue and I think I managed to format it with ICD tools...and later I could install HDDriver. HDDriver doesn't detect it? or detects it but couldn't access to it?

hi!
Exactly and unfortunately, hddriver even didn't detect it. So, I think, maybe it is sth related to ACSI controller itself (I am trying to get a second ST machine in order to simply check if the controller might be issue here).

mickymouse
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mickymouse » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:31 pm

1st1 wrote:Also in my experience HDDRIVER can not handle Megafiles correctly to format/install. Better using older version of AHDI. But first you have to open the drive and read the type of the RLL-Drive. Then when you have the type you can select it in HINSTALL for lowlevel format. Then partition, then install driver. If it doesn't work, then you do something wrong. Maybe connected the DMA cable to the OUT connector???

Does wrong connection lead to a permanent unit damage ?
But I have double checked all connections, so no problem with OUT connector.
Anyway: I will try to get an old AHDI version as suggested. But it means definitely that I have to accept the total loss of previous hd-data, right ?

Will try to run it by the week-end with the old AHDI disc, so I will post again afterwards.
Many thanks.

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Postby qq1975b » Fri Mar 06, 2015 5:43 am

mickymouse wrote:
1st1 wrote:Also in my experience HDDRIVER can not handle Megafiles correctly to format/install. Better using older version of AHDI. But first you have to open the drive and read the type of the RLL-Drive. Then when you have the type you can select it in HINSTALL for lowlevel format. Then partition, then install driver. If it doesn't work, then you do something wrong. Maybe connected the DMA cable to the OUT connector???

Does wrong connection lead to a permanent unit damage ?
But I have double checked all connections, so no problem with OUT connector.
Anyway: I will try to get an old AHDI version as suggested. But it means definitely that I have to accept the total loss of previous hd-data, right ?

Will try to run it by the week-end with the old AHDI disc, so I will post again afterwards.
Many thanks.

So you don't know which driver was installed, do you? Then try AHDI and ICD first. Maybe you won't be able to recover old data but I think you'll probably manage to format it and make it work again.

Which TOS version has the Mega 1? 1.04?
Trying to learn...

mickymouse
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mickymouse » Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:37 pm

Hello,
Sorry for that long latency, but there was no chance to reply before - the story is long.

Thanks to all advices until now:
But now I have restarted:
The TOS is 1.04 (last copyright displays the year 1989.)

I still did not manage to run anything with the HD.
When booting from floppy, and loading auto/gdos.prg and auto/ahdi.prg there is a display:
Unit 0 - Identification unavailable

I looked but in the HDX, there is no option for low level format.
Tried to run the HDCHECK13, messages shown:
*Error: Trouble reading boot sector on DEV 0, LUN 0.

The ICD: where I can find it ? I've checked my software pool, unfortunately nothing related to this name is there.

EDIT: when using HINSTALL, there is another display: ! No available logical drive for installation of driver.

Thanks.

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:01 pm

ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

mickymouse
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mickymouse » Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:33 pm

Thanks!
But sth puzzles me: when I detach the cable, and run all mentioned tools, I see exactly the same behaviour of the software. I've also checked the cable - it is OK.
Seems to be sth with the disc itself: so when it is powered up, it starts up, makes about 6 second long quite loud noise (low noise) and this ends with the orange lamp just being activated for a short moment.

I need to prepare the disc with the ICD, so I will post update later on.

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:39 pm

Does the harddrive spin up?

One problem with old harddrives I've encountered is that they need to get warm first before they work. Let it spin for 15-20 minutes and restart it, if it works, make sure to get that backup...
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

mickymouse
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mickymouse » Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:22 pm

Yepp, it starts up. And it turns relatively loud - but from my point of view it was always noisy ;-)

Just tried the ICD: it did not work in my case, sometimes when running some tools it claimed that I do not have the Pro controller. Even if booting with auto/icdboot it claimed for one tool that I need to install handlers by running it again.

Afterwards, tried with FHDX, but w/o success: when running the burn in test -> it says it rejected the disc due to failure cylinder 0.

What is suspicious is: in FHDX you can select the type and the model: but after unboxing, I've found different type ST-277R. Therefore the format trials went wrong. Before trying the format, it reported a PASS for controller test, but daisy chain test failed.

So if anyone has a suggest, please let me know.

As of now: thanks a lot to all of you who try to help me.

tzok
Atari User
Atari User

Postby tzok » Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:49 pm

Megafile 60 (or rather Adaptec ACB-4000 controller used in it) had a kind of self test bulit into its firmware. You need to short the O-P jumper on the board and turn on the power (unit hast to be disconnected from the computer). The error code is then blinked out by the ACT LED.

If the controller is functioning properly the ACT LED will flash once for one second, and then will burn continuously without flashing (but two different versions of manual describe a different behaviour in this case - another one mentions it should flash 1 sec./0.5 sec). If there is a problem, the ACT LED will stay off for 6 sec., turn on for a second (notating the start of diagnostic codes), and then will flash in 0.5 sec. bursts. Codes will be repeated as long the O-P jumper is in place. The number of 0.5 sec. bursts is the error code.

0 - 8085 subsystem
1 - 8156 RAM
2 - ROM
3 - AIC-010 & related logic
4 - AIC-010 & related logic
5 - AIC-300 & related logic
6 - AIC-010 bus

I had a Digital Data Deicke HD64 (which is re-branded Megafile 60) with similar symptoms, and self-test returns ROM error. Can anyone create a ROM dump out of this PROM? It is socketed, so it should be easy to do, for someone who has an EEPROM programmer.

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:11 am

tzok wrote:I had a Digital Data Deicke HD64 (which is re-branded Megafile 60) with similar symptoms, and self-test returns ROM error. Can anyone create a ROM dump out of this PROM? It is socketed, so it should be easy to do, for someone who has an EEPROM programmer.

ROM errors are kinda rare in my experience, have you tried reseating the chip? Checked the solderjoints? (EPROMs more or less never fails just partially, they tend to completely fail, if they fail at all, or it's a failed in-circuit firmware upgrade but I think we can rule that out for this...)

And my previous post about letting the harddrive get warm before working on it remains as one of my best tips with older drives, just the other day I helped out a friend with an harddrive that would no longer boot with his STE, we let it spin for about 10 mins so it would get warm, and restarted everything and it worked perfectly. Not that I would consider the drive reliable after that, but still, these old things are developing quirks and kinks, or if you prefer, personality after all these years...

And also, check the power supply, that it still provides good power. On both +12v and +5v.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

tzok
Atari User
Atari User

Postby tzok » Wed Jan 10, 2018 5:25 pm

Just to sum-up: the controller was ok, only the disk has failed - it couldn't find track 0. I've replaced ST-277R with NEC D3124, and it works just fine, despite the fact this is not an RLL certified drive.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”