MSTe (and STe?) PLCC socket type

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

MSTe (and STe?) PLCC socket type

Postby Fujiyama » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:28 pm

I appear to have ordered the wrong 68 pin PLCC socket to replace a damaged one for the 68000 in my Mega STe as I wasn't aware of differing standards.
The new socket I have has a shorter spacing between the pin rows than that of my Mega STe PCB as well as a different layout. So what's the correct name/type of the correct socket?

Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

qq1975b
Atari God
Atari God

Re: MSTe (and STe?) PLCC socket type

Postby qq1975b » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:13 pm

I didn't know....

Maybe you can ask them: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pcs-PLCC68-soc ... 20eb90aa04

Or better: www.mouser.com
Trying to learn...

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:00 am

After fruitless efforts finding one I eventually contacted Atari dealer Best electronics who had them for sale. Apparently these are custom made sockets or something. I wonder why Atari in their wisdom decided to use specialized components when standard ones with the same pinout were available...

EDIT: I did contact Mouser electronics about it but they had never seen such a socket and couldn't help.
Best electronics told me that the non-standard staggered footprint 68 and 84 pin PLCC sockets were used in various STs. Fortunately they have them, but beats me who made/makes them. If anyone knows, please chime in!
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

govind
Atarian
Atarian

Postby govind » Wed Oct 19, 2016 3:50 am

Fujiyama wrote:After fruitless efforts finding one I eventually contacted Atari dealer Best electronics who had them for sale. Apparently these are custom made sockets or something. I wonder why Atari in their wisdom decided to use specialized components when standard ones with the same pinout were available...

EDIT: I did contact Mouser electronics about it but they had never seen such a socket and couldn't help.
Best electronics told me that the non-standard staggered footprint 68 and 84 pin PLCC sockets were used in various STs. Fortunately they have them, but beats me who made/makes them. If anyone knows, please chime in!

Hi Fujiyama ! I am searching for same kind of socket (similar pin layout can u help?

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:33 am

Contact Best electronics to ask if they still have them.
I've been unable to locate them elsewhere and I'm guessing these were custom made for Atari (reasons unknown to me).

Are you a good person?

Lynxman
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Lynxman » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:52 pm

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/

scoll down to MISC -> socket converter

Maeke
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Maeke » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:58 am

Lynxman wrote:https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/

scoll down to MISC -> socket converter

No need to scroll, just click on misc on top of the page. And see http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/blitter/index.htm to how to use it.

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:22 am

Actually there is a easier way now.. click the # Button ;)
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

siriushardware
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby siriushardware » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:05 pm

This issue was discussed in this earlier thread, with clear pictures of the right and wrong types on the second page of the thread.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=27504&p=267313#p267313

I ended up ordering from Best Electronics (California), apparently the only source in the whole world for direct drop-in replacement sockets like the Atari originals. At the point of sale they weren't badly priced, about $7 for the 68-pin and $8 for the larger 84 pin ones... but by the time I dealt with the minimum order value, minimum order value accepted via Paypal (which was more) and carriage from the USA to the UK the price in real terms was eye watering. I had to order a lot of stuff I didn't really need right then in order to make up the Minimum Order Value, which of course increased the carriage costs.

It's the only criticism I have of Best Electronics, who are otherwise a fantastic Atari resource.

I ordered them anyway because the original sockets were definitely faulty.

At the time, Exxos's socket converters were just a twinkle in his eye otherwise I would have gone (and would certainly advise anyone in the UK to go) that way instead.

iggydrougge
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby iggydrougge » Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:46 pm

Fujiyama wrote:Best electronics told me that the non-standard staggered footprint 68 and 84 pin PLCC sockets were used in various STs. Fortunately they have them, but beats me who made/makes them. If anyone knows, please chime in!

ITT Cannon.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”