Atari Testkit All-In-One - 2nd Batch

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

Kubik
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Re: Atari Testkit All-In-One - 2nd Batch

Postby Kubik » Sat Jun 04, 2016 9:00 pm

I'd recommend a diag cartridge, it usually gives me a good indication of what's wrong. First, you'll see if the CPU is actually executing the TOS. Then, you can attach serial monitor and see if anything comes up. In my case, it's often a list of RAM errors.
I've designed one and can provide Eagle/gerber data. I've also noticed there are people selling various variant of diag carts, the cheapest one was something around 20 EUR.

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Wed Jun 08, 2016 6:07 pm

Kubik wrote:I'd recommend a diag cartridge, it usually gives me a good indication of what's wrong. First, you'll see if the CPU is actually executing the TOS. Then, you can attach serial monitor and see if anything comes up. In my case, it's often a list of RAM errors.
I've designed one and can provide Eagle/gerber data. I've also noticed there are people selling various variant of diag carts, the cheapest one was something around 20 EUR.

Yes, the diagnostic carts are useful if the machine works well enough to start it up.

I've seen many variants of cartridges over the years.

The original Atari made cartridge PCB with case is probably the easiest to get hold of, and it does the work. (Best Electronics sells bare ones for $15 I believe) I got several of these.

But I've also seen many "homebrews", one of the cooler ones used only one 27C010, with logic to make it look 16bit wide. I actually got one of those somewhere aswell.

But for switching roms (unless you got several) you need to open and replace the eproms. A simple multicart can be made, depending on the size of the rom, by connecting a simple switch to the highest adress lines of a 27c512, which is the biggest eprom that fit without rebuilding the cart, in which case designing a new one, or buying the multicart from Arne is a better choice, since it very conveniently makes most needed cartsoft available on the same cart.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

Kubik

Postby Kubik » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:30 pm

Mine has two EPROMs, supporting up to 27C080, rotary switch to select one of up to 16 images, and indicator of ROM3 and ROM4 active. Thus, if the ROM4 blinks after reset, you know system is running. If it doesn't blink at all, CPU doesn't even start...

Decky
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Atari Testkit All-In-One - 3D printed Case

Postby Decky » Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:50 pm

Just wondering if anyone has made a 3D printable case for the Atari-All-In-One testkit.
Atari STe 4Mb with TOS 1.62 / 2.06 Switchable, thanks to Techie Alison. UltraSatan, CosmosEx, Gotek

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”