retired

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

retired

Postby Guest » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:51 pm

ive moved on from this atari scene for good

anyone with stuff lodged will get it back soon as post allows
its no fun anymore

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: retired

Postby exxos » Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:53 pm

Take a break, I did for like 10 years once ;)
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

StickHead
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby StickHead » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:01 pm

Kind of makes your signature ironic. :(

All the best simbo, it's a big loss to see your technical know-how leave the scene, but if you're not having fun then that's that. I'll miss trying to decipher your stream of consciousness punctuation-less posts!

:cheers:
The Joy of STicks - YouTube - Blog - Twitter - Facebook
New Developments and old inspirations in Atari ST gaming.

GadgetUK164
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby GadgetUK164 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:14 pm

Just take a break! If you do the same thing for too long it starts to wear you down.

Decky
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Decky » Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:09 am

I don't know about you guys, but my interests seem to come and go in cycles. I will have an intense interest in something for a while and then move onto another interest in a few months, then when I eventually lose interest in that I move onto another interest or hobby and so on. Eventually I come back to my Atari etc...
Atari STe 4Mb with TOS 1.62 / 2.06 Switchable, thanks to Techie Alison. UltraSatan, CosmosEx, Gotek

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Wed Feb 26, 2014 2:29 am

StickHead wrote: I'll miss trying to decipher your stream of consciousness punctuation-less posts!

:lol:

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Wed Feb 26, 2014 9:02 am

Decky wrote:I don't know about you guys, but my interests seem to come and go in cycles. I will have an intense interest in something for a while and then move onto another interest in a few months, then when I eventually lose interest in that I move onto another interest or hobby and so on. Eventually I come back to my Atari etc...

That happens to me, though not months, normally years :lol: Saying that, I started work again on a PC game I started over 15 years ago. The game screen was 640x480, was full screen back then :lol: 8)
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

GadgetUK164
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby GadgetUK164 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:55 am

exxos wrote:
Decky wrote:I don't know about you guys, but my interests seem to come and go in cycles. I will have an intense interest in something for a while and then move onto another interest in a few months, then when I eventually lose interest in that I move onto another interest or hobby and so on. Eventually I come back to my Atari etc...

That happens to me, though not months, normally years :lol: Saying that, I started work again on a PC game I started over 15 years ago. The game screen was 640x480, was full screen back then :lol: 8)

I suffer from not finishing things also lol. I started a PC MMORPG years ago and whilst it was significantly completed (70%), I just became more interested in other things. I wrote a version of Ghost Busters for the GP2X which was 95% complete (whole game minus streamer collision code), I just never found the time or motivation to go back and finish that. Also wrote a NES emulator (never finished sound but everything else worked), and a year or so back I wrote an iPhone game which again is near completion but I can't motivate myself to finish it. There's a pattern emerging here I think lol

FedePede04
Atari God
Atari God

Postby FedePede04 » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:19 pm

GadgetUK164 wrote:
exxos wrote:

I suffer from not finishing things also lol. I started a PC MMORPG years ago and whilst it was significantly completed (70%), I just became more interested in other things. I wrote a version of Ghost Busters for the GP2X which was 95% complete (whole game minus streamer collision code), I just never found the time or motivation to go back and finish that. Also wrote a NES emulator (never finished sound but everything else worked), and a year or so back I wrote an iPhone game which again is near completion but I can't motivate myself to finish it. There's a pattern emerging here I think lol

I think that a classic :lol:
it is always easy in the beginning a lot is happen to ones program.
I normal go dead when i start on the small details, and also sometime when i look at the code that i begin at :)
Atari will rule the world, long after man has disappeared

sometime my English is a little weird, Google translate is my best friend :)

GadgetUK164
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby GadgetUK164 » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:19 pm

FedePede04 wrote:I think that a classic :lol:
it is always easy in the beginning a lot is happen to ones program.
I normal go dead when i start on the small details, and also sometime when i look at the code that i begin at :)

You've raised another valid point there - it's sometimes hard to start something - never name finish it. It's strange but a lot of programmers and hardware guys say the same thing to me time and again. Hard to finish most projects, hard to start some.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:33 pm

Hmm, was this posted twice, in different areas? I know I replied to
a similar thread....
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

dml
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby dml » Thu Feb 27, 2014 1:45 pm

Simbo if you're taking on a lot of repairs etc. for people that could become very un-fun very quickly, and a big weight on the shoulders. Hopefully you just take a break and spend time doing interesting experiments instead of being everyone's mr repairman? Maybe it's something else entirely but repairs are a fulltime annoyance scenario (and would wipe me out pretty fast).

(GadgetUK164, FedePede04 re: finishing stuff....)

If you have traits of a perfectionist and a coder used to working with fine details, it's hard to 'finish' anything. The closer you get, the more the 'tree of nasty details' splits into smaller branches, twigs and leaves. At some point it just becomes too much effort to manage compared with starting a new thing, which is always pretty easy :)

Finishing stuff requires the ability to overlook and tie off a myriad of small annoying things. I guess it's easier to do that when you just have to (e.g. work?), compared with having a choice (hobby stuff?). Just a thought.

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:01 pm

I have a rule for that, I want everything to be 100% perfect, but if that was the case nothing would ever get finished, so once something gets to 99%, then its time to move on ;)

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:42 pm

I remember your last farewell tour (post). :mrgreen:

I can understand you giving up something negative or something where you have shall we say no real expertise or standing.

But as this is the friendliest place on the net servicing a lovely community within the lovely retro-computing family and you are an expert neither of those conditions above apply.

Don't throw it away. :(

CiH
Atari God
Atari God

Postby CiH » Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:58 pm

Hi Simbo,

Boring piece of advice I often babble to myself, "Never say never again.."

As for your wish to leave, I hope it wasn't anything that any of us said. Take a good long break and relax. Chap I knocked around with in the mid to late nineties period, disappeared for the best part of a decade. I started getting emails off him again in the last couple of weeks. In his case, a fair bit had happened in the intervening period.

Divorce (Milan went into storage with many other things)
New Woman

Almost 3 Years later.....

Baby
Insomnia

Which are some extreme lengths to go to for new hobbies and interests! :mrgreen:

One last thing, even if you don't want to take an active part in things Atari related, you're always welcome to drop in on this board at any time, don't be a complete stranger!
"Where teh feck is teh Hash key on this Mac?!"

tabajaralabs
Atari nerd
Atari nerd

Postby tabajaralabs » Fri Feb 28, 2014 2:53 am

It happens, hope to see you soon back.

A small tip from a Brazilian who always got in trouble helping others:

I took a (sad) decision of not fixing/building anything for anyone. I have some 140 vintage computers and games, and never ever had ANY time to play with them. I was always fixing other's computers, or bulding things with negative or zero revenue. And always being called "that S-O-B that owns me things"

I gave up.

Now I play with MY computers. Anyone else's problems are not my business. My computers works.

It is an expensive hobby, that's why I bulild most toys at home with spare parts. But I went away from getting money from it, and now I only have fun :) ;) ;)
Happly hacking and enhancing old computers, just for the fun of it :D
http://www.tabalabs.com.br

Postby Guest » Sat Mar 01, 2014 2:16 am

i am resigning from the st section only
ill stick too the high end machines now
ive posted enough over the years too cover all eventualities :wink: and some

go for it burn the house down is my advice
too many st not enough tt and falcons and milan and hades etc etc
now some sort of pie takes overs
same poo in life the X wins always
as long as its sweet and kind on the pallet then buy it