NEW USB Host Controller via ACSI

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: NEW USB Host Controller via ACSI

Postby alanh » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:04 am

Four bombs at boot after HDDriver loads usually signals an invalid boot device. Same things happens if you hit a key, say 'K' when HDDriver loads which is meant to tell HDDriver to boot from the K: drive, but if it doesn't exist, you'll get four bombs.

You should make sure that HDDRIVER is not managing the USB bus at all, so the devices should be de-selected on BUS 3.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:06 am

alanh wrote:Four bombs at boot after HDDriver loads usually signals an invalid boot device. Same things happens if you hit a key, say 'K' when HDDriver loads which is meant to tell HDDriver to boot from the K: drive, but if it doesn't exist, you'll get four bombs.

You should make sure that HDDRIVER is not managing the USB bus at all, so the devices should be de-selected on BUS 3.

It isn't :) I think on reset it "remembers" that there should be a C: which isn't there anymore. Or something.

/Troed

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:08 am

Attached is a new STORAGE.PRG without SCSIDRV support so HDDRIVER won't see anything, but you should still be able to access existing partitions on the USB devices.

Can Bama/troed test this to see if it makes any difference ?

[attachment=0]storage.zip[/attachment]
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Tue Jul 19, 2016 11:18 am

troed wrote:
alanh wrote:Four bombs at boot after HDDriver loads usually signals an invalid boot device. Same things happens if you hit a key, say 'K' when HDDriver loads which is meant to tell HDDriver to boot from the K: drive, but if it doesn't exist, you'll get four bombs.

It isn't :) I think on reset it "remembers" that there should be a C: which isn't there anymore. Or something.

/Troed

Correct. Which this is really a bug in HDDRIVER, as it should validate that there is a C: drive if that's where the USB device was before.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Tue Jul 19, 2016 7:52 pm

alanh wrote:Attached is a new STORAGE.PRG without SCSIDRV support so HDDRIVER won't see anything, but you should still be able to access existing partitions on the USB devices.

Can Bama/troed test this to see if it makes any difference ?

Unfortunately, no :(

I made a video of what happens, downloadable here (171MB): https://troed.ddns.net/f/9c1eab37f2/?raw=1

What it shows is a boot from the internal SCSI, only scanning ACSI 0, loading USB drivers from today (and the storage.prg from the post above). I then open various folders on C:, D: (both internal SCSI) and A: - followed by doing the same on H: (which is the Unicorn) which suddenly starts to fail (folder access fail). I then access C: again and it immediately hangs the system (busy bee, I'm moving the mouse there but it's hung completely).

/Troed

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:50 pm

O.k. good video. Just checking is this at 16MHz or 8MHz ?

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Tue Jul 19, 2016 8:55 pm

alanh wrote:O.k. good video. Just checking is this at 16MHz or 8MHz ?

8MHz.

(It's also not necessary to provoke the Unicorn folder fail for the next SCSI access to hang. Any SCSI after accessing the Unicorn will hang instantly)

/Troed

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:03 pm

O.k go back to the original STORAGE.PRG and try this new UNICORN.PRG.

unicorn.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Tue Jul 19, 2016 9:16 pm

alanh wrote:O.k go back to the original STORAGE.PRG and try this new UNICORN.PRG.

No change.

I think the only viable way forward is for someone who can replicate the issue (me) to add debug output and start nailing down where exactly the hang happens :) Although since it hangs when accessing the SCSI I'm somewhat unsure what part of the Unicorn drivers would be accessed at the time.

/Troed

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Tue Jul 19, 2016 10:15 pm

Maybe, I might be able to get a couple more test drivers to home in on the issue.

Try this UNICORN.PRG

unicorn.zip

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:02 am

Some Happy News!
On my MSTE + MonSTEr + Unicorn, I can access and use both the SCSI HDD via ACSI adapter and the USB memory stick via Unicorn when I boot from floppy ( HDDriver909 and the Unicorn drivers 19072016.)
Boot order: HDDrv, USB, Storage, Unicorn, mouse.

I cannot get the MSTE + MonSTEr to see the internal ACSI HDD partitions when booting from the IDE drive attached to the monster, but the Unicorn USB drive is available and usable. I have re-installed the HDDriver 909 from floppy onto the IDE drive with no change. Removing the Unicorn from the external ASCI makes no difference - still no internal ACSI drive partitions visible.

If I run HDDriver.prg from desktop, then the ACSI drive and its partitions are available.
:-)
BAMA

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Wed Jul 20, 2016 12:46 am

For what it's worth: My STacy which boots from internal ACSI attached SCSI2SD; Works terrific with the Unicorn.
BAMA

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:37 am

When booting from the IDE does the ACSI bus actually get scanned ? (different issue here, as you mention removing the Unicorn has the same trouble)

Anyway, looks like your USB is working with the ACSI bus without trouble.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Wed Jul 20, 2016 9:19 am

Bama wrote:On my MSTE + MonSTEr + Unicorn, I can access and use both the SCSI HDD via ACSI adapter and the USB memory stick via Unicorn when I boot from floppy ( HDDriver909 and the Unicorn drivers 19072016.)

alanh wrote:Anyway, looks like your USB is working with the ACSI bus without trouble.

Agree, this should be an identical setup to mine (my issue is the same no matter if I boot from floppy or SCSI) and so I need to check other things as well. I have other ACSI devices I can test, and I can also try installing exxos' DMA-fix (SIL resistor array) on the off chance that that's related.

(I'm at work so I'll try the unicorn.prg you posted last night this evening)

/Troed

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Wed Jul 20, 2016 11:28 am

alanh wrote:When booting from the IDE does the ACSI bus actually get scanned ? (different issue here, as you mention removing the Unicorn has the same trouble)

Anyway, looks like your USB is working with the ACSI bus without trouble.

I'm also wondering if there is a difference as I have no problems at all using my Unicorn on my STe with IDE card and also my Mega2 with IDE card. But thisngs seem slightly less stable when I'm using Unicorn with Ultrasatan or any of the SCSI spining disks I have here (Protar, Gasteiner etc) - sometimes it's detected, something not and sometimes boot hangs on scanning - all using 2.06 on STes

However, I would need time to sit down and document my setups :)

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:07 pm

I've used my UltraSatan regularly with the Unicorn, so I confident that's fine.

Are you using the latest drivers spiny ?

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Wed Jul 20, 2016 3:51 pm

yes, from the mint page. I'll try and set it all up again with the non IDE drives and se how I get on and note down any unusual behavior.

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:23 pm

troed wrote:(I'm at work so I'll try the unicorn.prg you posted last night this evening)

Now done. Booted, opened a window containing H: (Unicorn), then double clicked C:, immediate hang.

Let's pause this until I've had had the chance to run another ACSI device (I have two different Megafile models) concurrent with the SCSI as well as solder in exxos' DMA fix.

/Troed

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Thu Jul 21, 2016 8:19 am

If you have a MegaFile, maybe try it on your STE too alongside the Unicorn ?

Bama
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Bama » Fri Jul 22, 2016 1:25 am

alanh wrote:When booting from the IDE does the ACSI bus actually get scanned ? (different issue here, as you mention removing the Unicorn has the same trouble).

Yes when booting from IDE drive the ACSI bus is scanned but but no drives are found.
BAMA

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:14 pm

Just tried to buy an Unicorn, but Paypal tells me they are out of stock. Alanh, do you have any plans to make more of these?

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:41 pm

I just got my Unicorn. But I can't get it to work. I boot from floppy on 1040STE and stuff loads in this order : USB Core API driver, USB Mouse Class driver, USB Mass storage class driver and lastly Unicorn USB conntroller drivers (TOS). It then detects my USB drive and says "Unicorn USB driver installed" and then boooom! It bombs or sometimes just hangs there, with the floppy drive spinning... Anyone got any ideas? I tried looking for a manual, but can't find one...

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:48 pm

Take out the USB mouse driver, I'm sure that's broken at the moment.

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:51 pm

ok, thanks for the info! Will try it out and get back to you :)

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Thu Dec 15, 2016 4:56 pm

Nope, still bombs :( ... I think it's two bombs, but not sure, they just flash by ...

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”