NEW USB Host Controller via ACSI

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Re: NEW USB Host Controller via ACSI

Postby spiny » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:15 pm

TOS/Windows - should it work with just Windows partitioning ?

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Thu Dec 22, 2016 9:24 pm

quick update:

re-enabled BigDos in my auto folder, created a 500Meg partitoin using HDD10.10 and it works perfectly. TOS/win compatable, no byte swapping.
Readable on my Win10 pc and hot swaps on ST :)
this is using the December 18th USB drivers.

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:11 pm

BigDOS won't take effect with TOS/Windows partitions as TOS will automatically be used.

I've just made some changes here and I've used it with BigDOS on a 1.5GB (Windows only) FAT16 partition on the Unicorn.

This will allow folks to use USB sticks partitioned on a Windows machine directly on the Atari, without the need for additional partitioning tools.

I'll do some more testing yet before committing them.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:47 am

sounds promising, I'll do some tests once the drivers are live and post here.

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:18 am

Will try them out as well, after Christmas... thanks for the efforts Allan!

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:49 am

BigDOS 8 is available here.

http://rainer-seitel.onlinehome.de/bigdos.html

Install it, after the USB drivers into the AUTO folder.

USB.PRG
STORAGE.PRG
UNICORN.PRG
BIGDOS.PRG

Then your Windows-only FAT16 partitions will be usable on the desktop, from 32MB to 2GB I believe. Ensure any Atari partitions are bigger than 32MB, as I've heard that BigDOS disables partitions under 32MB.

The new Unicorn drivers are available right now from http://www.freemint.org under USB4TOS.

Enjoy, and let me know of any issues.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:51 am

Oh, and remember USB is hot swappable, so as long as you've got USB.ACC installed too, you can hotplug these to your hearts content.

Happy Christmas !

:D :D :D :cheers:

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:12 pm

Just found time to try the new drivers and I'm seeing a crash :/

If I have bigdos first in the auto folder, UNICORN causes a reset on boot, and it loops over and over.

If I have bigdos last in the auto folder, I get three bombs when it tries to run and it goes to desktop, but everything still works.

my setup:

STe, 4meg, 2.06 - your IDE board (pre monster model) with 2x CF, HDD 10.01

everything works fine with the 18th Dec USB drivers.

however, I haven't made any changes to the USB stick yet, it's still formatted TOS/WIN. too late to mess around tonight, and probably busy tomorrow :D

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:42 pm

O.k. I saw a few issues yesterday and just committed fixes. Should be in tomorrows build.

Shouldn't be any need to change the partitioning.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:07 am

cheers, will report back once I've tried them :)

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:03 pm

Hope you had a great Christmas Allan! I just tried the 2412 drivers. Here's the results:

- My old USB sticks still refuses to be detected at boot and the boot just freezes. Same as before.

- OBHD gives the same error as before; "Fehler beim Partitionieren!"

- HDDRiver; if I run it without their driver (HDDRIVER.PRG) in the AUTO folder I can start HDDRUTIL.APP fine, my memory stick is detected. I can get it to start partitioning and then I get a "Couldn't write boot sector error" and then its the same problem as before; I can add a C drive manually and then the systems becomes unstable. If I try and boot with HDDRIVER.PRG in the AUTO folder, HDDRUTIL.APP bombs just after I close the info window (the one that tells me its a demo just after the program has started)

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Mon Dec 26, 2016 10:15 pm

Hi Alan,

I also hope you had a great Christmas, just to report that the 2612 drivers are working as expected on my setup, the issue I saw with the 2412 version is fixed :)

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Wed Dec 28, 2016 11:20 am

Cogweasel wrote:Hope you had a great Christmas Allan! I just tried the 2412 drivers. Here's the results:

- My old USB sticks still refuses to be detected at boot and the boot just freezes. Same as before.

- OBHD gives the same error as before; "Fehler beim Partitionieren!"

- HDDRiver; if I run it without their driver (HDDRIVER.PRG) in the AUTO folder I can start HDDRUTIL.APP fine, my memory stick is detected. I can get it to start partitioning and then I get a "Couldn't write boot sector error" and then its the same problem as before; I can add a C drive manually and then the systems becomes unstable. If I try and boot with HDDRIVER.PRG in the AUTO folder, HDDRUTIL.APP bombs just after I close the info window (the one that tells me its a demo just after the program has started)

Try todays drivers. You'll probably still get the error partitioning, but you should be able to partition your device on Windows now and use it directly if you use BigDOS. So you don't need to use HDDRUTIL/HDDRIVER or CBHD/CBHDCONF anymore.

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:18 pm

alanh wrote:Try todays drivers. You'll probably still get the error partitioning, but you should be able to partition your device on Windows now and use it directly if you use BigDOS. So you don't need to use HDDRUTIL/HDDRIVER or CBHD/CBHDCONF anymore.

Will do! The previous attempt didn't involve BIGDOS at all, just didn't want to add another potential problem to the mix. Do you know what is causing the error when partitioning?

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Wed Dec 28, 2016 8:40 pm

alanh wrote:
Try todays drivers. You'll probably still get the error partitioning, but you should be able to partition your device on Windows now and use it directly if you use BigDOS. So you don't need to use HDDRUTIL/HDDRIVER or CBHD/CBHDCONF anymore.

so just to clarify, if I have an STe and stick the USB drivers and BIGDOS in an auto folder on a floppy, I should be able to use a windows formatted USB stick in TOS ?

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:18 pm

Right. Subject to BigDOS constraints. I used a 1.5GB FAT16 partition. It has to be FAT16 - Type 0x06.
Last edited by alanh on Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:18 pm

Cogweasel wrote:
alanh wrote:Try todays drivers. You'll probably still get the error partitioning, but you should be able to partition your device on Windows now and use it directly if you use BigDOS. So you don't need to use HDDRUTIL/HDDRIVER or CBHD/CBHDCONF anymore.

Will do! The previous attempt didn't involve BIGDOS at all, just didn't want to add another potential problem to the mix. Do you know what is causing the error when partitioning?

Is the stick write-protected ?

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Wed Dec 28, 2016 9:24 pm

alanh wrote:Is the stick write-protected ?

Nope.

What is Type 0x06 BTW?

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:05 pm

Cogweasel wrote:

Nope.

Then I'm not sure exactly why. Sounds like some quirky USB device. Unfortunately I have plenty of USB sticks around and none of them exhibit bad behaviour such as this. It may be that Windows has a workaround specifically for this device, as there are many USB devices that have quirks. If you've got more details on the device itself like USB vendor/device types I'll see if I have one that matches, otherwise just use another device.

Cogweasel wrote:What is Type 0x06 BTW?

Type 0x06 is what Windows usually uses for FAT16 partitions, but Linux partition tools can create various types, so I mentioned it for those who use Linux.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Wed Dec 28, 2016 10:33 pm

alanh wrote:Right. Subject to BigDOS constraints. I used a 1.5GB FAT16 partition. It has to be FAT16 - Type 0x06.

neato, just grabbed a stock (ish) Ste (it has 2.06) and it's booted from floppy and I have a C: drive icon which shows the USB contents, excellent work :)

edit works on a stock 1.6 STe too, awesome :D

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:22 am

Nice. What size Windows partition ?

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:50 am

alanh wrote:Nice. What size Windows partition ?

I used an 8Gig Lexar USB stick and used EaseUS free partition manager ( http://www.partition-tool.com/landing/home-download.htm ) to make a 999Meg Primary partition, and it worked flawlessly :)

Gonna have to check all the drawers at work to find all the old usb drives so I don't 'waste' an 8Gig stick :)

More probably obvious questions: If I connect a hub, can I use multiple USB sticks, or a stick and a mouse ? I don't know why i'd need multiple sticks, but it would be nice to know if I can :D

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:52 am

Cogweasel wrote:

Nope.

What is Type 0x06 BTW?

are you on Windows ? if so, try making the partition using the EaseUS software http://www.partition-tool.com/landing/home-download.htm - the free version does what you need. Just make sure you create a primary partition, not a logical one.

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:24 am

spiny wrote:I used an 8Gig Lexar USB stick and used EaseUS free partition manager ( http://www.partition-tool.com/landing/home-download.htm ) to make a 999Meg Primary partition, and it worked flawlessly :)

Gonna have to check all the drawers at work to find all the old usb drives so I don't 'waste' an 8Gig stick :)

More probably obvious questions: If I connect a hub, can I use multiple USB sticks, or a stick and a mouse ? I don't know why i'd need multiple sticks, but it would be nice to know if I can :D

Yes, hubs are supported and multiple storage devices as well as mice, etc.

With an 8GB stick, you might be able to do 4 primary partitions of 2GB each. That should work. Not tried it though.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:42 am

multiple primary partitions seems to work :)

EaseUS config of USB stick:

ease.png

and the results on the STe (using 2.06 here) after selecting 'Install Devices'

usb.png

made a folder to check the STe can write OK. Neat :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”