NEW USB Host Controller via ACSI

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: NEW USB Host Controller via ACSI

Postby Cogweasel » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:12 pm

alanh wrote:O.k. might be some changes with HDDRUTIL 10.x as I've not yet tried that with the Unicorn. Only 9.x.

I'll see if I can reproduce anything with CBHDCONF though. What size USB stick are you using ?

I am using a USB3 16GB formatted to FAT32. I have tried an older 1GB FAT one as well, but that one just freezes the boot and is not detected. Same goes for another older stick that also freezes, not sure how big that one is...

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:19 pm

One thing to try, is leave the USB stick disconnected. Boot up with all the drivers loaded, and then load HDDRUTIL.

If that loads up, then plug the USB stick in, and in the menu of HDDRUTIL you can "Detect Devices" to see if that finds anything or crashes ?
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:28 pm

alanh wrote:One thing to try, is leave the USB stick disconnected. Boot up with all the drivers loaded, and then load HDDRUTIL.

If that loads up, then plug the USB stick in, and in the menu of HDDRUTIL you can "Detect Devices" to see if that finds anything or crashes ?

I was considering doing something like this, but wasn't sure if it was a good idea to plug it in while the computer was powered on. I just tried it and HDDRUTIL still bombs.

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:52 am

I've just setup my STE with the latest USB drivers, and CBHDCONF and made a video of it. I used a 16GB USB 3.0 stick and then setup a 22MB, partition. Then rebooted my STE and installed the C: drive and copied SYSINFO.PRG to it, and then ran SYSINFO.PRG from the C: drive which is on the USB stick.

https://youtu.be/S4S9c_94gWI
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:24 pm

Thanks for the video! I am doing pretty much what you are doing, differences are:

1. I don't have a USB hub, I just connect my USB stick directly to the Unicorn. I could try a card reader I suppose, if that is at all possible?

2. My memory stick comes up as SCSI ID 0 and not 1 in CBHDCONF. Its also called GEM instead of BGM. Have a haunting suspicion this could be the problem?

3. Where your CBHDCONF restarts the computer, I get that lovely generic error message...

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:49 pm

Ok... I tested a card reader with an old CF card that I had used on an Amga years ago. Now I could actually partition the card... so I reset the computer, booted with CBHD disk and added a C: drive.. It works, amazing! Then I copied sysinfo to it, that worked, but when I tried to run it from C I got an error, probably corrupted. So I tried inserting another floppydisk to try and copy another file... BOOOM! The computer bombs.

Now the computer refuses to detect the CF card, so I bring it to my desktop and format it (FAT)... and now, it's no longer detected at boot and the boot sequence freezes ... :shrug:

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:51 pm

Cogweasel wrote:Thanks for the video! I am doing pretty much what you are doing, differences are:

1. I don't have a USB hub, I just connect my USB stick directly to the Unicorn. I could try a card reader I suppose, if that is at all possible?

2. My memory stick comes up as SCSI ID 0 and not 1 in CBHDCONF. Its also called GEM instead of BGM. Have a haunting suspicion this could be the problem?

3. Where your CBHDCONF restarts the computer, I get that lovely generic error message...

1. Hub shouldn't matter. I just plugged my USB stick in without a hub, directly into the Unicorn and did the same process. It worked exactly the same.

2. SCSI ID is because I have a USB memory card reader at SCSI ID 0. Again, plugging directly gave me SCSI ID 0. GEM is for less than 16MB, BGM is more than 16MB.

3. CBHDCONF didn't restart it, I switched the computer off, and then on again.

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:53 pm

Cogweasel wrote:Ok... I tested a card reader with an old CF card that I had used on an Amga years ago. Now I could actually partition the card... so I reset the computer, booted with CBHD disk and added a C: drive.. It works, amazing! Then I copied sysinfo to it, that worked, but when I tried to run it from C I got an error, probably corrupted. So I tried inserting another floppydisk to try and copy another file... BOOOM! The computer bombs.

Now the computer refuses to detect the CF card, so I bring it to my desktop and format it (FAT)... and now, it's no longer detected at boot and the boot sequence freezes ... :shrug:

Can you run SYSINFO from floppy and send me the photo of what it displays without any drivers loaded. I want to check if you have TOS 1.62 or TOS 1.06.

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:56 pm

Oh, what do you mean by "I bring it to the desktop and format it (FAT)" ???

Nothing should need formatting. The partitioner does it all.

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:13 pm

alanh wrote:Can you run SYSINFO from floppy and send me the photo of what it displays without any drivers loaded. I want to check if you have TOS 1.62 or TOS 1.06.

Done, I have 1.62 ... actually expected 1.06.

sysinfo.jpg

alanh wrote:Oh, what do you mean by "I bring it to the desktop and format it (FAT)" ???

The card got screwed up after the failed copy and wasn't detected at boot, so I tried reformatting... didn't help though.

I actually tried with yet another CF card, this one worked a bit better. I can copy files to it and they seem to be ok, but the system is extremely unstable. Bombs quite often when I try and swap floppy disks. The floppy drive also refuses to spin down... also worth noting that when I try and read the CF card on my PC it wont work ... Windows just says that the disk needs formatting...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:45 pm

CBHDCONF doesn't make the partitions TOS & Windows compatible, just TOS. HDDRUTIL can make them TOS & Windows compatible though.

I'm just debugging HDDRUTIL 10.x with the Unicorn drivers which have some more issues.

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:02 pm

alanh wrote:CBHDCONF doesn't make the partitions TOS & Windows compatible, just TOS. HDDRUTIL can make them TOS & Windows compatible though.

:? Wasn't aware of that ... because the entire point of me getting an Unicorn is to be able to transfer my old floppies to PC. If there's ANY other reasons that might prevent me from doing so... please, let me know about it now. Because this is starting to feel like I am never going to get this to work! Any idea why the system is so unstable when I finally manage to partition anything? And why the memory cards just stop working completely after I tried copying files to them? :cry:

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:15 pm

The TOS/Windows thing always catches people out, and this isn't strictly related to the Unicorn. This happens with any media formatted for TOS, whether that's IDE or SCSI too.

As for instability, have you got the latest drivers from today or are you still running from a week ago or so ?

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:30 pm

alanh wrote:The TOS/Windows thing always catches people out, and this isn't strictly related to the Unicorn. This happens with any media formatted for TOS, whether that's IDE or SCSI too.

Since the floppy disks formatted on a ST works fine on a PC, I assumed it would be possible to get it working with a "HD" as well. Here's where a simple Unicorn FAQ would have been super helpful! I did ask around the forums about the Unicorn and got the impression it would work for my needs and also wouldn't be too overly complicated to get running. But so far its just been an exercise in frustration, I don't wont to sound ungrateful, because you have been doing a great job at helping me out! But if there had been a FAQ available I might have been better prepared or maybe chosen a different memory card solution.

alanh wrote:As for instability, have you got the latest drivers from today or are you still running from a week ago or so ?

Nope, I am still running the ones compiled on the 13th of December. Have you made any changes that might impact stability? You mentioned that you had added a "cookie jar" error message, but I assumed you hadn't added anything else...

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:08 pm

Cogweasel wrote:
alanh wrote:The TOS/Windows thing always catches people out, and this isn't strictly related to the Unicorn. This happens with any media formatted for TOS, whether that's IDE or SCSI too.

Since the floppy disks formatted on a ST works fine on a PC, I assumed it would be possible to get it working with a "HD" as well. Here's where a simple Unicorn FAQ would have been super helpful! I did ask around the forums about the Unicorn and got the impression it would work for my needs and also wouldn't be too overly complicated to get running. But so far its just been an exercise in frustration, I don't wont to sound ungrateful, because you have been doing a great job at helping me out! But if there had been a FAQ available I might have been better prepared or maybe chosen a different memory card solution.

As I said, it's not limited to the Unicorn at all. It's general Atari functionality that could have been found reading any Atari FAQ for hard disks.

Cogweasel wrote:
alanh wrote:As for instability, have you got the latest drivers from today or are you still running from a week ago or so ?

Nope, I am still running the ones compiled on the 13th of December. Have you made any changes that might impact stability? You mentioned that you had added a "cookie jar" error message, but I assumed you hadn't added anything else...

Yes, please grab the latest.

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:18 pm

alanh wrote:As I said, it's not limited to the Unicorn at all. It's general Atari functionality that could have been found reading any Atari FAQ for hard disks.

Yes, I realise that. But again, this would be excellent information to include in an Unicorn FAQ even if it's not directly related to the device.

alanh wrote:Yes, please grab the latest.

Right, will do as soon as possible. Let us know if you make any other updates ...

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:08 pm

Cogweasel wrote:the system is extremely unstable. Bombs quite often when I try and swap floppy disks. The floppy drive also refuses to spin down...

Does this happen _when you swap floppy disks_ - without any accesses to the Unicorn? If so that sounds like you might have PSU issues, unstable power. However I would assume it could then happen with the Unicorn not connected at all as well.

/Troed

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:38 pm

troed wrote:Does this happen _when you swap floppy disks_ - without any accesses to the Unicorn? If so that sounds like you might have PSU issues, unstable power. However I would assume it could then happen with the Unicorn not connected at all as well.
/Troed

This only happens after I have "successfully" created a C: disk with "Options/Install disk drive". Otherwise the system runs fine, with or without the Unicorn drivers installed. I have been using my STE quite a lot recently, also running some old games.. and I am surprised to find that quite a few of my old disks are still running fine and haven't noticed any problems with the computer really...

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:38 pm

Oh, as for PC partitions I think using BigDOS will allow access to FAT16 partitions formatted on a PC. I've never tried BigDOS though.

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:05 am

Just fixed some issues today with HDDRUTIL 10.x. Drivers from today (22nd) should be pretty good. Not having any issues here.

Anyone using HDDRIVER and not really needing it, should try without it now.

I might play around with BigDOS after some sleep.

Cogweasel
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Cogweasel » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:19 am

Thanks for the heads up Alan! Will download the new drivers...

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Thu Dec 22, 2016 10:13 am

just to add, I have my unicorn working with HDD v10.01
(though it only works if I partition it less than 255Meg, but thats probably something up with the 8Gig sticks I'm using, and not related to any problems posted so far :) )

EDIT: I replied to an old comment, sorry! :D

EDIT EDIT: but interesting about BigDos, I disabled it when troubleshooting this earlier this week, I'll re-enable it and see what difference it makes.

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:22 am

What happens with >= 256MB for you ?

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:59 am

alanh wrote:What happens with >= 256MB for you ?

everything boots OK, but if I try and open the drive icon (saved in desktop.inf) I get 'drive does not exist' and if I use the 'install icons' option in 2.06, it removes that drive icon.

HDDriver shows it as a proper partition, it's readable on PC, just not 'seen' on the desktop. If I drop the size to say, 100Meg, it works flawlessly, I can hot swap it on the ST, read and write on the PC etc.

But this is all with BigDos disabled, I'll give it a spin later tonight with BigDos and a 500Meg partition (and the new USB drivers)

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:06 pm

Is it partitioned for just Windows ? or TOS/Windows ?
Last edited by alanh on Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”