What is a "riebl" card? Mega STE and TT?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

hercule12
Atari freak
Atari freak

What is a "riebl" card? Mega STE and TT?

Postby hercule12 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:41 am

I'm watching a Mega STE which is listed as having a Riebl network card. Anyone know how it works, if it works and what drivers may be needed? How would you hook it up and to what?

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: What is a "riebl" card? Mega STE and TT?

Postby mfro » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:15 am

hercule12 wrote:I'm watching a Mega STE which is listed as having a Riebl network card. Anyone know how it works, if it works and what drivers may be needed? How would you hook it up and to what?

A network card suitable for Mega STE and TT (VME bus). Drivers are available for MiNT and Atari SYSV Unix (TT).

Since it only has connectors for 10Base2 and AUI for 10Base5 cables, you'll need a suitable transceiver to connect it to today's ethernet standard (10BaseT, twisted pair). Once you've managed that, you'll have a 10 MBit connection that can do everything a modern PC can do.

There is a battery on the card to back up the RAM that holds the MAC address of the interface. Most likely this will need replacement after all those years.

Regards,
Markus

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:58 am

Info´s for Single TOS and Riebl Card -> wiki/index.php?title=Atari_Forum_TT_FAQ#Why_can.27t_I_install_Riebl_card_with_STING.3F

For MiNT is a Atari Mega STE with only 4MB Ram a little to small, maybe you can try KGMD ... https://www.knarf.de/MiNT.html

or maybe cripple mint -> http://atari.st-katharina-apotheke.de/h ... te=cripple

or MagiC with MagiCNet 1.42b -> viewtopic.php?f=14&t=22606&hilit=magicnet
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

alexh
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby alexh » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:46 am

hercule12 wrote:I'm watching a Mega STE which is listed

I'd have left that bit out ;)

lvader
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby lvader » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:45 pm

I believe I won this Mega STE. :D I'm really looking forward to trying some old games that I havn't played for 25 years! and a nice upgrade on the lowly 520STFM I used to own.

ozy2000
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby ozy2000 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 2:54 pm

What are the odds another one would turn up less than 3 weeks later with an identical network card or did the poster above me return the same one with a fault hmmmm

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:59 pm

It seems by the description that the seller has/had a few of them.

@Ivader: did you get your one in the end?
STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

lvader
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby lvader » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:35 pm

Yes I got one. He used the same photo for all 3 Mesga STE's he sold, which isn't a nice thing to do and the hard drive size turned out to be less than half the size advertised. I still can't get it to output RGB to my CRT TV, I'm not sure if it's the cable or the Mega. I seems to be switching to mono.

ozy2000
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby ozy2000 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:09 am

I wish I had seen such comments before I bid now!

My last MSTE was with that fault where it ONLY outputs a mono signal even if you plug in a SC1224 (which it almost killed) so I really don't want all that crap again because as perverse as it sounds I only intend to play games on it which means no issues with switching/forcing mono mode even when no mono monitor is connected (because pretty much all games benefit from the 16mhz mode where compatible just like 286 games were automatically improved if you run them on your shiney new 386 16mhz 'super computer' !!) Also it's the best keyboard of any ST so it would be a nice machine for any programming too (I usually need to do a lot of typing to get anything to compile haha).

Actually a great idea would be to have a list of ebay sellers to either avoid or recommend purchasing from. Other places have this on for single format boards like this and it helps both sellers and buyers really IMO.

Final question regarding ebay these days, if when it arrives it is a lot more yellow than the one in pics AND has less HD space etc and the seller does not agree to a partial refund (ie 50%) then if I return the whole thing for a full refund who is going to pay the £20 courier fees to return it? Is it still me as it was 5 years ago on ebay? I don't fancy losing £20 because an item uses misleading photos to sell ciggy tar coloured machines that were once grey and is not as described in the spec or condition.

Silly_Pony
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Silly_Pony » Tue Jul 09, 2013 9:28 pm

If it comes and it's minging and has less stuff installed, just make one good one out of the two. Duh.
1040STe, 1040STf

ozy2000
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby ozy2000 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:31 pm

Silly_Pony wrote:If it comes and it's minging and has less stuff installed, just make one good one out of the two. Duh.

Items listed with misleading pictures with mismatched parts not mentioned in the description going for full price <> parts machines sold for peanuts my friend. For a start it artificially inflates all the bidding so it never sells for parts/POS condition prices. Duh.

Besides I don't have that old MSTE I bought years ago and refused to switch to colour mode almost blowing up my one and only mint condition SC1224 attempting to display mono signal.

Right back to this dishonest and rude liar of a sellar on ebay AKA 29bubbles.

The item was listed with fake pictures and deliberately misleading description, the actual item had a brown HDD cover, was never tested to confirm it works in colour and had a German QWERTZ keyboard. Suggestions included painting the case, taking a bog standard mismatched Mega ST keyboard or brown TT keycaps and popping them off myself.

He is now deliberately waiting to the last day to respond to paypal after a 4 day lack of response to my last message and filing a case on ebay.

So to summarize, fake pictures, misleading description to up the price to that of a UK non-yellowed MSTE+Keyboard, charges £18 for delivery when it would take a month to dispatch, and it is somehow my fault and I am expected to pay for something ebay should suspend him for listing in such a way.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM 29BUBBLES he is a thief, a liar and a nasty person. I have never even seen the actual item he is alleging to dispatch next week. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. I wish I had seen the comments from other purchasers before bidding on his listing.

Worst ebay experience of my life really.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321149502584

evil
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby evil » Sun Jul 21, 2013 2:53 pm

ozy2000 wrote:
Silly_Pony wrote:If it comes and it's minging and has less stuff installed, just make one good one out of the two. Duh.

Items listed with misleading pictures with mismatched parts not mentioned in the description going for full price <> parts machines sold for peanuts my friend. For a start it artificially inflates all the bidding so it never sells for parts/POS condition prices. Duh.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321149502584

Checking the listing, it's clear something is fishy:
It's ideal for both Notator, Cubase and CAF.

CAF (Cubase Audio Falcon) on Mega STe? Don't think so.

Cyprian
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby Cyprian » Sun Jul 21, 2013 5:39 pm

actually CAF works on 4MB STe, it doesn't load Audio part, but midi part works fine

but good to know those things about 29bubbles
Last edited by Cyprian on Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lynx II / Jaguar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / Lynx Multi Card / LDW Super 2000 / XCA12 / SkunkBoard / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Steem SSE / Aranym / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

hercule12
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby hercule12 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:05 pm

You beat me to CAF on an STE. I can confirm it does work as midi sequencer, I'm using it now.

I've just checked 29bubbles feedback. Seems to have sold a fair amount of Atari and midi gear with no problems whatsoever.

Makes me wonder if ozy2000 has a hidden agenda.

lvader
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby lvader » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:01 pm

I probably should have given negative feedback but I gave him the benefit of doubt.

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:42 am

I had been swindled by several sellers who sell products with fake descriptions and fake photos.
Normally, ebay ask you to settle it yourself by sending them an email, to which suddenly your dealing records with it disappear from your activity.
There by no chance at all to leave a negative feedback, to which ebay does nothing.
I think the seller would just cancel/void that trade from the system.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

hercule12
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby hercule12 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 8:57 am

I've had several megas and none have had any problems. Still running CAF on one as I write.

Let's play Devils' Advocate.

Ivader. Have you contacted the seller to explain the problem? The guy has 700 positive feedbacks and since ozy2000 is refusing his it appears he may also have another Mega STE to replace yours. Must be worth a try?

I wonder if other sellers, e.g. A****freaks, use a new picture every time they sells an STE?

ST-Freakz
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby ST-Freakz » Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:57 pm

hercule12 wrote:I've had several megas and none have had any problems. Still running CAF on one as I write.

Let's play Devils' Advocate.

Ivader. Have you contacted the seller to explain the problem? The guy has 700 positive feedbacks and since ozy2000 is refusing his it appears he may also have another Mega STE to replace yours. Must be worth a try?

I wonder if other sellers, e.g. A****freaks, use a new picture every time they sells an STE?

yes i do actually

what you see listed from me is EXACTLY what you will receive

not that difficult to take a picture for each item really

hercule12
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby hercule12 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:37 pm

Gotta say your memory and VGA adapter pictures look very similar.......It doesn't bother me either way as long as what I buy is what I want. Others here seem a bit touchy.

Ivader, have you contacted the seller yet? I'll be more inclined to believe ozy2000 if he treats you the same way.

lvader
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby lvader » Tue Jul 23, 2013 6:56 pm

I contacted the seller several times, he was helpful to an extent. The smaller than advertised HD and not the STE in the picture were an annoyance more than anything. The biggest issue is the blank video, he didn't have any suggestions other than saying he thought I would need to buy a dedicated monitor rather than use a scart cable to an RGB capable CRT TV. It would be nice to test the STE with a proper monitor but I don't have access to anything and I'm reluctunt to spend much more money.

ST-Freakz
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby ST-Freakz » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:03 pm

hercule12 wrote:Gotta say your memory and VGA adapter pictures look very similar.......It doesn't bother me either way as long as what I buy is what I want. Others here seem a bit touchy.

Ivader, have you contacted the seller yet? I'll be more inclined to believe ozy2000 if he treats you the same way.

how can memory and VGA adaptors look the same?! :? one is a picture of simms the other is a picture of a cable, hardly the same!

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Tue Jul 23, 2013 7:32 pm

I think Mug UK lives in Warrington so he might fancy paying 29bubbles a 'friendly visit' :lol:

lvader
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby lvader » Mon Aug 05, 2013 6:07 pm

The seller sent me an offer to test and if faulty replace my unit. As it happens I'd already purchased another STE and I had the same blank screen issue so it was more than likely a video cable issue. Today I received a new cable and both STE's are fine.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”