Cubase and digital multitrack sync

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

INSPECTOR77
Atari User
Atari User

Cubase and digital multitrack sync

Postby INSPECTOR77 » Mon May 13, 2013 3:45 pm

Hello, which are the best digital multitracks recorders for sync with cubase audio 3.1 and atari Ste?
Is posible to control the digital multitrack Workstation from cubase?
Regards
-2 Atari STE 4 ram
-Atari Stfm 1 ram

nativ
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Cubase and digital multitrack sync

Postby nativ » Mon May 13, 2013 5:06 pm

Hi

Is it MTC you can use?

There are loads of recorders you can use from something like a Fostex D80 to and Alesis D24? or one of the Digital Mixer/recorder combos again plenty to choose from, not all have a built in midi time code MTC which is a shame! You can also use a PC or Mac as a slave D2D recorder.

When I get around to it... I will have the ST with Cubase 3.1 and Midex+ linked to the g4Mac running a GINA24 and Logic Pro 7
Atari STFM 512 / STe 4MB / Mega ST+DSP / Falcon 4MB 16Mhz 68882 - DVD/CDRW/ZIP/DAT - FDI / Jaguar / Lynx 1&2 / 7800 / 2600 / XE 130+SD Card // Sega Dreamcast / Mega2+CD2 // Apple G4

http://soundcloud.com/nativ ~ http://soundcloud.com/nativ-1 ~ http://soundcloud.com/knot_music
http://soundcloud.com/push-sounds ~ http://soundcloud.com/push-records

INSPECTOR77
Atari User
Atari User

Postby INSPECTOR77 » Tue May 14, 2013 1:12 pm

Thanks, i was thinking in a Roland vs series.....very cheap in this days.......seems to have MTC and can be Master or Slave.
-2 Atari STE 4 ram
-Atari Stfm 1 ram

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Thu May 16, 2013 8:19 pm

Hi there

Indeed, I wouldn't say there is a best digital multitrack for your Atari, it's just a matter of making your choice for your needs and preferences. Nativ is correct, any digital multitrack with MIDI should be able to sync using MTC (MIDI Time Code), but also perhaps MMC (MIDI Machine Control) or MIDI Clock. I happened to purchase a Roland VS1680 new way back when, and I still like it. Some don't, but all digital multitrakers have pros and cons, it is of course like most things in life about educating yourself, making a decision and being happy with that decision. What I can say is that for the VS1680 it can sync using MTC, MMC as both Master and Slave, and it does cater for Midi Clock, but I believe it only transmits Midi Clock. I happen to use MTC, simply because it works for my needs between my VS and Cubase 3.1, using my Atari ST as the Master. Remember to ensure that the frames per second (fps) match between your sequencer (Cubase...) and your multitrack, typically 25 fps as I understand.

Choose your weapon, and just take a little look at the spec of your intended purchase to see what syncing options you have available and roll with it ;)

This may prove useful too, or just overkill: http://tweakheadz.com/sync-mmc-mtc-smpte/
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

INSPECTOR77
Atari User
Atari User

Postby INSPECTOR77 » Wed May 22, 2013 12:25 pm

Thanks a lot! finally i purchased a Roland vs 880 that works perfect with my STE, i have the atari as a "master" and Roland in "ext" and all is in perfect Sync

Regards
-2 Atari STE 4 ram
-Atari Stfm 1 ram

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Wed May 22, 2013 12:51 pm

Well, congratulations! :cheers: Although the VS series functions are somewhat hidden away in menus, they are pretty straight forward to use, nice quality, and already you have it synchronised to give you more hours of music production time. At used prices today, good work! ;)
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Thu May 23, 2013 1:57 pm

Congrats although I always prefered multitracks that recorded in the lossless WAV format, rather than the lossy compressed ones like the Roland employed; I chose the Fostex DMT8 v2 (the original larger curvy looking model) back in May 1997. I used the Fostex as the Master in MTC mode and the Atari STE as the Slave, which worked perfectly and never dropped sync once in the years I owned it.

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Thu May 23, 2013 7:48 pm

Yeah, I think we have touched on this before, that is a negative point for the VS series. Usually I am not a fan of anything with compression, even MP3's, however I liked the build quality of the VS series, always seemed a little more robust, and ultimately the pros out weighed the cons for me, but ordinarily I would agree. The Fostex DMT8 v2 is a nice looking machine though. I see your using past tense, what happened?

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Fri May 24, 2013 11:51 am

Atari74user wrote:The Fostex DMT8 v2 is a nice looking machine though. I see your using past tense, what happened?

I sold it to a policeman from Birmingham in April 2000 and then made the mistake of thinking a desktop Windows PC could work better... Image . So yes I did the thing I for a while mocked people for in the late 1990s and succumbed to the new music-PC-in-a-box revolution, which took years to sort out the various issues that were common to setups back then.

Oh and later in 2000 I sold the accompanying Fostex D5 DAT recorder to some unpleasant farmer guy; I also had a really lovely younger guy from down South who was very disappointed to have missed out on buying mine. Mine was in mint condition with only 20 hours of use in real terms, as I only used it for backups from the DMT8 v2.

As of now I have a deliberately older IBM Thinkpad z61p laptop with a Edirol UA-101, Edirol UM-880, Quested S7 monitors, Yamaha SY55 fully expanded and a rack full of synths with three fully expanded Yamaha MU100R (2x different models of PLG boards in each, six types in total); there is also a myriad of other gear like drum machines, pre-amps, mics, sub-mixers, monitor controller and even an old Kawai MM16 MIDI mixer! Also a full Marshall rack guitar setup with Yamaha FX900 and various guitars and an acoustic. The list goes on and on but apart from maybe an additional Edirol UM-880 MIDI rack merge thing, I have plenty to make music in my own way.

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Fri May 24, 2013 2:51 pm

Shredder11 wrote:I sold it to a policeman from Birmingham in April 2000 and then made the mistake of thinking a desktop Windows PC could work better

Oh wow! I have often thought about it, but like you I am not overly fond of the 'multi box' PC idea, that's just my preference, I prefer one thing to do one job. I know what I am like as a man, one job at a time, more than one and my brain hits meltdown, typical bloke! :oops: Although I admit I am at least considering adding my laptop to my small studio, mainly as a soft synth if I did, perhaps running a tracker.

Ahah...SY55, I have an old SY85, I like the SY series, amongst a small collection of rack synths, and my latest toy a nice Arturia MiniBrute. You have a nice collection of music gear there, I always wanted a D5, or Tascam DA20, but never did.

I have recently moved, so I may post some pics once I get the studio back up and running. It's almost there, I want to get the Falcon included in the studio now too, as it has been in hibernation for far too long. My humble Atari ST has always been in the studio, and I'll continue to use it as the MIDI sequencer, I like it's stability, and plus I can use it with MIDEX. Actually I think I am going to switch to using the Unitor, Combiner and Export options, they are just a bit better built, and connect better than my MIDEX which doesn't connect the tightest. The MIDI ins always annoy me on the MIDEX too, being too close together.

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Fri May 24, 2013 8:11 pm

Yeah those SY series are the last great synths Yamaha made, although the EX5 was a nice keyboard too. The drum machine I have is a Yamaha RY30 complete with all the expansion cards (I am a bit of a completeist sometimes haha!) and I later added a nice Yamaha RM50 with memory expansion. I grew up in the era when studios were full of an interesting mix of gear and methods, so I love synths and rack stuff. My other things are an old Kawai K1r, Yamaha TG55, ART DPS II digital valve preamp and err....well anyways lots more stuff! :lol:

I planned on making one of my Falcons the main computer MIDI and audio sequencer in my setup, but alas that will not happen now I feel. My mother is getting on in years and has been ill for some time, and I find myself dashing around all day making meals, doing household chores and being her arms and legs to carry things around or pick them up etc. So finding the time to do anything now is severely curtailed :( Shame because at the start of this year for the first time since 2000, I finally completed and got my dream setup running. Anyway hopefully my mum will improve enough to be able to do things for herself, and then maybe I can do some music again; still got lots of untapped ideas and potential left in me yet!

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Fri May 24, 2013 10:43 pm

I agree, the SY series were a good breed from Yamaha, classic synths in my opinion, took over from the admired DX's. Ahhh the RY30, another nice machine! It's one thing I am missing really, I have a Novation Drumstation V2 which is a great machine, but I would actually like a padded drum machine, or perhaps an MPC. Anyway, I admire what you are doing for your mother, it's a beautiful thing. I am in a similar position nowadays, but perhaps not quite in the same way as your goodself. As Earl once stated in the TV series My Name is Earl 'do good things, and good things happen' :cheers:

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Sat May 25, 2013 6:51 am

I got one of those AKAI MPD16 MIDI USB pad controllers back in 2006, but I prefer to use the pads on the Yamaha RY30; the pads on the MPD16 are nice for cymbal rolls and percussive flourishes rather than full drum beats (I like to do live acoustic drum takes). Oh and in case you were wondering, those expansion boards inside my Yamaha MU100R modules are PLG100-VL, PLG100-VH, PLG100-DX, PLG150-AN, PLG150-AP, PLG150-DR. These all have plugin GUI interfaces within Cubase SX3, so they look and feel like a regular VSTi instrument but the sound comes from the rack synths and sounds better IMHO. The software to do this took a bit of finding, because the main English Yamaha sites do not have them; I found them on the Yamaha Japanese site and via translation I selected and downloaded the files, which turned out to be in English only! :lol: It's the Yamaha Studio Connections v2 software and the OPT open source plugin standard, which Cubase and other sequencers support.

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Sat May 25, 2013 9:18 am

That's interesting to hear what you say about the MPD, because I have thought about an MPD as opposed to an MPC, because I don't really need another sampler, not that it matters too much. That's a cool way of getting the best of both worlds with the PLG expansion boards, a nice GUI to have full control over them, and yes I agree, not a complete fan of doing everything in a computer based DAW. As an addition to the studio soft synths and the like are welcomed, especially if we are talking 'chip synths', but as a complete solution they are perhaps not for me. That's the beauty though, there is no right or wrong way to make music, there is just 'your way'.

zonky900
Atari User
Atari User

Postby zonky900 » Mon May 27, 2013 3:05 am

Selling music gear to policemen? What????

I use a combination of Atari STe Cubase, Yamaha Promix 01, Ensoniq ASR-X Pro and Yamaha DX200.
I use the STe as master clock for everything.

I really love the Promix 01 so I haven't had any desire to upgrade from it. One day I really want to replace the backlight in the LCD though. For recording, I still record directly from the Promix 01 to either a Minidisc recorder via digital coax or E-MU 1616m.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”