STM & STF doesn't equal STFM ?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Stfmmer
Atari freak
Atari freak

STM & STF doesn't equal STFM ?

Postby Stfmmer » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:50 am

Hi all,
first things first... descriptions.

I just got hold of
1) STM with external drive and 512k mem and SM125 mono monitor

2) 1040STF with no TV out... but got the DIN -->VGA colour cable. (which does work in colour)

I suppose my question is this...

can I upgrade the STM to hold Tos 1.04 and 1mb mem .... fit it into a STFM case and house an internal floppy disk drive?
(Hence building a hacked up STFM) 8)

Both machines are fantastic and wouldn't it be great to smash them together to create an STFM .... 8O

AnakiMana
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: STM & STF doesn't equal STFM ?

Postby AnakiMana » Sat Apr 06, 2013 1:19 pm

I wouldn't mess with it, myself. I mean, your STM has an external floppy. So it does everything your STF does and more. But the memory upgrade (to 1mb or 4mb!) is a good idea, and TOS upgrade, since I'm assuming you're at 1.0, is a good idea.

I don't know, but I *think* the STM should have an internal floppy port... you can always take it apart and check.

I think the STM is cool. They're not nearly as common as the STF and STFM. (it doesn't have disk-loaded TOS, does it? that would be really rare and ultra cool!)

Zogging Hell
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Zogging Hell » Sat Apr 06, 2013 9:31 pm

The STM is great but would be a hell of a job fitting it into a standard STFM case. All the ports are in different places, the joystick ports and midi sockets are at the back for example. You could desolder the modulator and whack it in the STF, but it would be a hell of a waste. I'd just buy an STFM as well!
Firebee, Falcon CT60, Milan 040, Falcon MkI, TT, Mega STe, Mega ST + Lots of STs of various flavours

Stfmmer
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby Stfmmer » Sun Apr 07, 2013 1:06 am

Hey, guys
.. no I've TOS in rom and its early.... think? 1.0

Re: STF modulator? I would assume that a TV card could be butchered for it? Got 2 and haven't been used for about 10 years?!

The STM is actually up for sale to raise cash for an STFM... or STE, my dream date :D

I have decided the best route to go is probably an overly priced SCART cable for the STF, ebay sells a few of them anyhow.

This might be shameless plugging but if anyone wants it?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atari-520-ST- ... 257c86c2f2

Thanks for the advice... if I get a SCART cable i'll be set lol

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”