NEW IDE Controller & TOS 2.06 board (with extras)

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: NEW IDE Controller & TOS 2.06 board (with extras)

Postby alanh » Tue Sep 10, 2013 8:01 pm

spiny wrote:How can i tell which revision I have ? mine doesn't say anything in particular, does that mean I have an early one ?
it's serial number 14 if that helps :)

That's a rev1, no changes required.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Tue Sep 10, 2013 11:38 pm

cheers :)

delvis
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby delvis » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:59 pm

Has anyone tried one of these yet with the IDE?

NEW FLASH DOM Horizontal Socket 2GB 44PIN IDE SSD
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Delvis
Atari User since 1982
400 / 800/ 1200XL / 800XL /65XE / 130XE
520ST / 1040ST / MegaST4

delvis
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby delvis » Thu Sep 12, 2013 2:42 pm

Okay the long awaited SD to IDE board came in from China. (6 weeks) I installed it and put a 4GB SD into it. The HDDriver software saw it but the description was garbled. Tried to set you the SD a few times with no luck. Finally moved it to the longer cable that the DVD drive is on. (Secondary connector)
HDDriver saw it correctly and everything installed properly. So as of last night I have the SD - IDE board and the DVD on the same connection and it seems fine. The one thing is it will not boot without floppy disk in drive. Maybe because this is the secondary connection? I have nothing on the primary right now since I managed to mess up my SSD a few days ago moving files and then on reboot it would not see the mSATA drive on the primary connector. I blame this on the IDE - mSATA board I was using. It never acted quite right. Would only work on the 2" cable, weird stuff from time to time for no reason.
I did order one of the 2GB boards in the previous posting above this. Hopefully it will work without issue. In the attached photo I show the new SD card connected to what I call the primary IDE connector which it did not work properly on. After the photo I moved it to the second port on the other cable.

This Mega ST version of the IDE doubler does not have the problem that was discovered with version 2 of the STE board, does it?

My board is SN 02 for the Mega ST version.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Delvis
Atari User since 1982
520ST / 1040ST / MegaST4

protek
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby protek » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:21 pm

@Delvis: Did you reverse the ports with the jumper? Also do you have TOS 2.06?

I got my card on secondary and it boots from that.
520 STE (4MB), 65 XE

delvis
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby delvis » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:48 pm

Protek - Did not know I could reverse the ports by the jumper. In the photo I have it hooked to what I think is the primary port. It could not read the card correctly all text was garbled. Moved it to the one that is empty in the photo and it worked fine except not able to boot directly. I did purchase the TOS 2.06 from Alanh as part of the package.

The primary port was working with the IDE to mSATA card I had. There was a few issues depending which mSATA SSD I used. Finally it was stable working fine and I was trying to install NEODesk to drive C. In the process I then tried to move some files into the auto folder. When I rebooted it did not see drive C: or the mSATA SSD. Pinged a post on the HDDriver forum and was told that should not have happened. Booting from the floppy it would show me the IDE controller and the mSATA drive. Would not let me partition it anymore. Kept giving errors.

Waited a few days and the SD IDE card arrived and installed it. It would not work on primary port but does on the secondary. It is strange that the primary port for no apparent reason had an issue with the mSATA and now with the SD card.

I will look for the jumper to switch the ports when I get home. Thanks for the input. Love a challenge and all my mods to this Mega ST makes me think.

Side note, currently mounting the Eiffle 3, EtherNec, and DVD in an empty Megafile case. Layout is good but getting to the point of cutting on the case and trying to do it right and look good.
Delvis
Atari User since 1982
520ST / 1040ST / MegaST4

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:59 pm

Hi Delvis,

Given the recent STE board problem, I'm going to spend a little time looking at the STFM/MegaST board next just to make sure there isn't any trouble.

I'll try and slot in an hour or two every other day to investigate and see if anything turns up.
Falcon CT60, Falcon CT63 x2, TT x3, MegaST x2, MegaSTE x2, STFM x2, STE x2, STacy, STBook, (Dead) Hades 060, Milan 060, T40.

musojon74
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby musojon74 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:00 pm

Hey guys, very new poster here :) Alanh, great work. This looks like it might be a cooler solution for my ST. (I was going to buy a hxc floppy emulator, may still buy that later though :) ). I saw quite a few good games on the "converted to hdd" st games list. :)

Will you be doing rev3 at any point soon?

Thanks

Jon

delvis
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby delvis » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:53 am

Protek - I changed the jumpers and now it boots off the secondary connector. So I will march onward. Got Neodesk loaded too.
Delvis
Atari User since 1982
520ST / 1040ST / MegaST4

busybee

Postby busybee » Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:36 am

I would be willing to trade my never used ethernat (my falcon died before the ethernat arrived), made for Falcons fitted with a CT60, for one of Alanh's Mega STE ide boards.

Anyone who's interested, please send PM me.

Thanks!! :D :D

delvis
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby delvis » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:37 am

Project update. My Extendos 4 arrived today so I hooked up my DVD drive. With both the SD card and the DVD drive on the secondary connector which I set as primary it wouldn't see the DVD drive.

I moved the SD to a separate cable and put the DVD on the primary connector which was set as two. It was seen but garbled text.

I shut everything down switch the two cables and switched the jumpers back to normal position. I re-booted and now the SD worked fine on the primary and the DVD showed up fine on the secondary connection. Can't explain it but since they are both working correctly it doesn't matter why they were garbled before.

Loaded Extendos 4.06 and put a few CD's in the drive and accessed them. Very sweet. :coffe:

Still waiting on the other 2GB card I ordered and then I will stop playing with all the stuff and try and reassemble and modify the other case.
Delvis
Atari User since 1982
520ST / 1040ST / MegaST4

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:03 pm

Ordered one of Alans IDE interfaces for the STFM 8) When it arrives I will do a small page for my "last" pages, I have gigafile in there, still punching though those problems , but hopefully the IDE will go a lot better as its not using the DMA for starters :lol:
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/ All my hardware guides - mods - games - STOS
http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.
http://ataristeven.exxoshost.co.uk/Steem.htm Latest Steem Emulator

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:26 pm

Hi folks,

O.k. Spent some time looking at the STFM board in my Mega with the new IDE devices I've acquired over the last few weeks.

It turns out there is a similar problem to the STE, but with a different fix for the STFM boards. It comes down to newer devices and their ability to pickup the slightest of noises whereas older devices didn't care.

Basically, two small capacitors should be added to two lines on the IDE port. Use 2 of 6.8pF capacitors of size 1206 SMD preferably as it fits nicely on the board.

Here's a picture of the undercarriage of the STFM IDE board to demonstrate what to do.

Again, if you have problems doing this yourself then PM me.

Any STFM IDE boards that I ship will automatically have these added.

photo.JPG

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:11 pm

not by any chance the ACK and DRQ lines are they ? Though I am thinking DMA problems again here.. Sounds just like the problems I had where I had to add capacitors to solve noise related problems.

http://exxos.www.idnet.com/IMPULSE/atari/last/gigafile/index.htm UPDATE section about half way down.
4MB STFM 1.44 FD- VELOCE+ 020 STE - Falcon 030 CT60 - Atari 2600 - Atari 7800 - Gigafile - SD Floppy Emulator - PeST - various clutter

http://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/ - All my hardware mods for sale - Please help support by making a purchase.

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:16 pm

No, no DMA here.

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:25 pm

What lines was they added to ?

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:29 pm

READ/WRITE.

exxos
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby exxos » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:32 pm

alanh wrote:READ/WRITE.

Interesting stuff, keep up the good work :cheers:

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:00 pm

I received my IDE interface (to be used with a CF adapter) recently but failed to install in in my Mega STe as it wouldn't go into the PLCC socket -I'll try again with the needle trick suggested earlier in this thread, but have some other questions:

1) I know about the "PL" and "SL" activity LED connector pins for the primary and secondary IDE channels respectively, but what if I have two devices on a channel and want to show individual activity? Would I need IDE to CF adapters with on-board activity LEDs, or isn't this supported and bypassed by the IDE board?

2) I'm considering a dual 44 pin IDE to CF adapter might be worth a shot, finding AlanH's comment on using a second memory card on the same IDE channel as a backup as being very useful. Will just about any eBay 44 pin dual IDE to CF adapter do?

3) Getting back to hot-swap capabilities I understand that it's a tall order, but I came across the TrueIDE active IDE adapter -is this something that will work? There's also the Addonics IDE to CF adapter Pro which claims to have hot-swap capabilities, but somewhere else I read about these sort of capabilities being a software feature -a driver perhaps? Would it work with my Mega STe? Alternatively I'll just use my SCSI PCMCIA card reader.

4) Having read non-conclusive results with different length IDE cables, what should at least be considered "safe"?
Mega STe | MonSTer (Mega STe) with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESCC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Are you a good person?

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

NEW IDE Controller & TOS 2.06 board (with extras)

Postby alanh » Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:10 pm

Fujiyama wrote:I received my IDE interface (to be used with a CF adapter) recently but failed to install in in my Mega STe as it wouldn't go into the PLCC socket -I'll try again with the needle trick suggested earlier in this thread, but have some other questions:

1) I know about the "PL" and "SL" activity LED connector pins for the primary and secondary IDE channels respectively, but what if I have two devices on a channel and want to show individual activity? Would I need IDE to CF adapters with on-board activity LEDs, or isn't this supported and bypassed by the IDE board?

Even though IDE supports two devices per port only one is accessed at a time. So when the LED flashes it means one of the two devices. There is no provision on the IDE connector to flash individually.
2) I'm considering a dual 44 pin IDE to CF adapter might be worth a shot, finding AlanH's comment on using a second memory card on the same IDE channel as a backup as being very useful. Will just about any eBay 44 pin dual IDE to CF adapter do?

Pretty much. But do let me know if it doesn't.

3) Getting back to hot-swap capabilities I understand that it's a tall order, but I came across the TrueIDE active IDE adapter -is this something that will work? There's also the Addonics IDE to CF adapter Pro which claims to have hot-swap capabilities, but somewhere else I read about these sort of capabilities being a software feature -a driver perhaps? Would it work with my Mega STe? Alternatively I'll just use my SCSI PCMCIA card reader.

This one is another try and see. I don't believe anyone has tried it before. Also it might be worth asking Uwe Seimet about HDDriver support for hot swap on IDE before you buy.

4) Having read non-conclusive results with different length IDE cables, what should at least be considered "safe"?

The cables problem where down to the noise issue that was fixed. So you shouldn't have any issues here.

delvis
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby delvis » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:21 pm

Alan plan on trying too add the fix today. Thanks for the great support and great products. What is the voltage on these? Was looking on line at several versions.

:cheers:
Delvis
Atari User since 1982
520ST / 1040ST / MegaST4

delvis
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby delvis » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:02 am

Ended up at Fry's Electronics here in Austin Texas.
Photo is what I bought local.
Delvis
Atari User since 1982
520ST / 1040ST / MegaST4

delvis
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby delvis » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:14 pm

Installed them last night.

After reassembly it gave me a little trouble but after running the software again it saw both IDE connectors and devices.

Reassembled and seems to be working fine.
Last edited by delvis on Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delvis
Atari User since 1982
520ST / 1040ST / MegaST4

delvis
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby delvis » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:14 pm

For some reason my Marpet 8 + is now seeing only 4MB on the 8MB board. Need to check all the connectors tonight.
Delvis
Atari User since 1982
520ST / 1040ST / MegaST4

alanh
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby alanh » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:13 am

Looks good Delvis on the IDE front.

Sorry to hear about the Marpet board, but I suspect something has probably got knocked, maybe a SIMM. I'm sure you'll get that going again.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”