I have a Mega 4 with some floppy trouble.
Disclaimer: I haven't messed around with STs much, so I have no idea what is normal and what is not. My TOS is Swedish, so I can't give you exact error messages as they would show up in English. However I understand Swedish, so I don't have to guess what the machine is telling me. :-)
Here's the problem description:
- When I power on the machine, the floppy drive light blinks, then stays on and it starts stepping.
- If I stick in a disk, it sometimes boots to the desktop right away, sometimes it takes a long time as if there is no disk inserted
- After I end up in the desktop without inserting a disk, the drive LED stays on. If I now insert a disk, the LED goes off. (normal?)
- More often than not, inserting an Atari ST disk and trying to open it by double clicking on the icon for drive A, it will just briefly read it and hang with the busy mouse pointer
- Sometimes I can get a disk to read, and it will show me the contents. If I try to read the contents of any file, it will say that it can't be read. (Is this normal for binary files?)
- Alternately if I insert a valid ST disk that has sometimes given me a directory listing, the machine will briefly spin the disk and then show 0 bytes used by 0 objects.
- If I attempt to format a disk, I get disk motor activity and stepping, then it says that formatting failed and I might have a write protected or faulty disk (the disk is unprotected and defect free). If I click retry, it will not retry, it will only redraw the error box and my only way forward is to abort out of it.
- I have tried all of this with a PC floppy drive set to DS0 but the symptoms are exactly the same.
So. Does this behavior ring any bells? Is it an easy fix like "swap in the 1772"? :-)
Thanks in advance!