Atari st series computers conversion PC

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Atari st series computers conversion PC

Postby lschafroth » Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:51 pm

Sounds like I need to find a 1040ST then. I thought there was some programming and compiling or something that had to be done for the teensie. If not then I think I can swing that. :)

Lannie

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:57 pm

You have to upload the program to the Teensy, but that's done via the USB-cable and this very simple program.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Methanoid » Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:41 am

spiny wrote:with lid in place, it doesn't close properly at the moment at the keyboard sits on the RAM, I'm -still- looking for some low profile ram to go in, then it'll be 99.9% complete :)

Spiny, did you get the LP Ram? How low did it have to be?

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:46 pm

Methanoid wrote:
spiny wrote:with lid in place, it doesn't close properly at the moment at the keyboard sits on the RAM, I'm -still- looking for some low profile ram to go in, then it'll be 99.9% complete :)

Spiny, did you get the LP Ram? How low did it have to be?

no, it appears that the type i need is non existant. i lowered the mounts for the mboard a few mm and i can close the case if i just use one ram stick, so its all good :)
I'll take a few more pics later :)

bob1969
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bob1969 » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:37 pm

Hi guys

Here my project with a couple i3 2130+DH61AG. teensy Interface for keyboard. its microprog comes from this forum (thanks for your gracious help)
very few space in height ...
I just need some advice to fill all holes around the case. which materials ?
Is someone know the colour code of the atari STf case for painting ?
I wish you the best
long life
bob1969

bob1969
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bob1969 » Wed Nov 14, 2012 7:17 pm

here the pictures
i wanted a transplantation most invisible as possible.
And a perfect aspect outside; not always possible.

You can see blue led that is not the original light. No
I would like improve key spring , if some one have an idea

best regards
Last edited by bob1969 on Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:48 pm

Have you tried the TT-Touch key upgrade set from some place like Best Electronics?

I've installed them in a couple of ST's/STE, and my Falcon. Definitely an improved
feel over the original keyboard.

http://www.best-electronics-ca.com/520_1040.htm (and scroll a bit down the page)

""TT" Touch "The Best" upgrade for the 520STFM / 1040STF / 1040STE Keyboards By Best Electronics. Improved High Grade Replacement Internal Silicone contacts firms up and gives you a Tactile bounce back on each 520STFM / 1040STF / 1040STE Keycap. Upgrades your Mushy 520STFM / 1040STF / 1040STE keyboard to the Atari TT / High grade P.C. type key board standards, an amazing difference compared to the stock ST / STE Keyboards. A must for ever Touch Typist! Set of 95 contacts for all world wide 520STFM / 1040STF / 1040STE version Keyboards, only a #0 Phillips screw driver required for installation! CB101980 $44.95 Special Buy!! $21.95 "

HTHs. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Methanoid
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Methanoid » Wed Nov 14, 2012 8:53 pm

Nice pics Bob... Did you Retrobrite that casing?

Try Bondo and then paint over assuming you can match the colour. Its what I would try

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Wed Nov 14, 2012 11:22 pm

bob1969 wrote:here the pictures

Nice one. I been always wanting to do that to my STFM :mrgreen:
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63 CTPCI ATI RTL8139 USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

lschafroth
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby lschafroth » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:12 pm

I noticed your badge says 520ST but that is a 1040ST case. It is in great shape. The color is perfect.
I have a 1040ST on the way. Now I need to get the teensie ordered. I'm going to try it with a mac mini guts.

As for the color code, take a small piece of the plastic to your local Ace or Menards or Lowes. They all can scan the color in the paint department and give you a exact color code. They can mix the paint for you. A pint should be enough I would think. I'm going to fill in the holes with plastic then you can use a small roller to add the texture to the surface with glue or wallpaper glue mixed real thin. Then paint over it.

Atarist8te74
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Atarist8te74 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:23 pm

Could somebody please confirm if an Amiga 500 keyboard could be made to work on the Teensy?

Im tearing my hair out trying to shove a Keyrah into an a500 case. It is so cramped inside that it will not fit without lots of swearing and fighting with stuff. I have got so far as to adapt the keyboard in such a way as that the ribbon from an a1200 keyboard now sits in place with the a500 keyboard parts and true to form the ribbon has now gone faulty!

Im sick of it all so want to take a Teensy and use that instead. I am so close to gutting the a500 mod and just doing an ST one instead... :evil:

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:16 pm

Atarist8te74 wrote:Could somebody please confirm if an Amiga 500 keyboard could be made to work on the Teensy?

It probably could, but you would have to start from scratch I guess. My firmware would absolutely not work with an Amiga 500 keyboard.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Atarist8te74

Postby Atarist8te74 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:15 pm

Good regarding it would work but the firmware, I m guessing it is totally geared for the atari controller only?

How difficult will it be to adapt the firmware?

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:35 pm

The implementation of the Atari keyboard is completely different to that of the Amiga.

The Atari keyboard has a built in controller. The Teensy talks to this and maps its key codes to something that is understood by the PC (PS2 I believe?).

The Amiga keyboard is completely 'dumb', you need to write something that interprets the signals coming from the the keyboard membrane (matrix) and then generates the correct PS/2 codes. There is no controller to talk to as it is on the Miggy's main board, not on the keyboard.

I think you need to create this firmware from scratch.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Atarist8te74

Postby Atarist8te74 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:05 pm

Im really stuck now...

I will have to stick with the keyrah, its a pita!

I am going to get some pictures up for everyone to show exactly how I have combined an a1200 ribbon with an a500 keyboard shell just so I can keep the leds in place without resorting to massive bodges. I always assumed the a500 keyboard had a proper controller built on? A circuit board is attached that holds a large chip, its membraine clips into that. Then the whole thing is connected to the a500 via a 9 or 10 wired header plug.

After I finally crack this bloody nut im going to do an Atari pc. No doubt will be alot easier!

Atarist8te74

Postby Atarist8te74 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:16 pm

Confirmed - The A500 has a controller built into the keyboard (circuit board I mentioned)

http://www.amiga-hardware.com/showhardw ... HARDID=651

If this one could be cracked then one of little teensy boards setup for many different keyboards that allow it! Would be great :D

bob1969
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bob1969 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:51 pm

thank you
DarkLord could you send a picture of silicon contact. is the little graphite contact present ?
is it a one piece like a rubber sheet between pcb and capkey or 95 individual spare parts ?
San josé..well quite far away from France country ;)

To methanoid / no, it hadn't been paint again. it's original state. It's a 520STE. The hardware was broken may be, it stayed 20 years in a drawer...
i bought it on silicium.org forum.
I need color to paint the futur fullfilled hole. i hope that i don't need to buy 5 litres of paint.

I think is possible to recompute teensy for Amiga keyboard. but you must use 500/500+ not 1200. only them have pic in it.
if it could have been done for STe, it will be possible for Amiga, no doubt. but it will be very very difficult: the amiga is thinner than Ste. God bless you !
Just an advise : Don't connect hdd led directly on PCB it make teensy bugs.

Incredible help here ,
thanks for all !!!!
Last edited by bob1969 on Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:17 pm

Here is a pic of the keyboard split apart. You can see the small silicon "cups" that
set in each key well. The kit (TT-Touch) just replaces the old cups with newer
ones that have a much firmer feel, as well as greatly improved tactile feedback.

HTHs.

Atari keyboard contacts.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Nov 19, 2012 7:20 pm

Atarist8te74 wrote:Good regarding it would work but the firmware, I m guessing it is totally geared for the atari controller only?

Yes, it only handles Atari ST/TT/Falcon keyboards with built-in IKBD keyboard controller.

Atarist8te74 wrote:How difficult will it be to adapt the firmware?

I guess you will have to start from scratch. The Amiga 500 keyboard has something that looks like a PS/2 protocol electrically. I don't know anything about the protocol itself. You will have to implement a host for the keyboard, decode the data stream and convert it to USB HID scancodes. It would most likely be a fun little project :)
Jo Even

Atarist8te74

Postby Atarist8te74 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:48 pm

Brilliant help on this forum :)

Hardware is something I can build but, as for programming I have not got a clue... Is there an easy way or is this going to be difficult?
Ive pulled some stuff together already, data sheets etc. little bit of help from the guys over at EAB.

I would need to get a teensy (or two lol)

Oh and I apologise about this being amiga related... just nobody else has done anything like this teensy before and it seems like a really good solution for small cramped conversions, so thanx joska :)

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Nov 19, 2012 9:18 pm

Jo Even

Atarist8te74

Postby Atarist8te74 » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:11 pm

This is great :D

So can I use a Teensy or would I have to buy this: Arduino-Compatible Mega 2560 R3 ATEMAGE16U2

Sorry im clueless on all these development boards, its all new to me!

AxelG
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby AxelG » Mon Nov 19, 2012 10:58 pm

amiga = keyrah, been there, done that (not myself) :-)
Is there anything you can't do with two Atari ST PCs?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:32 am

Atarist8te74 wrote:So can I use a Teensy or would I have to buy this: Arduino-Compatible Mega 2560 R3 ATEMAGE16U2

Sorry im clueless on all these development boards, its all new to me!

It would probably be easiest to just clone this guys' project. If you feel adventurous you can steal the parts of the code that deals with the Amiga keyboard, port it to the Teensy and write your own code to convert the Amiga scancodes to USB.
Jo Even

bob1969
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bob1969 » Tue Nov 20, 2012 7:15 pm

At the beginning of my project, teensy solution was not available. So i stoled a pic chicony from a old PS/2 keyboard. My great idea
was to link the line and columns of PCB keyboard to adress line / colomn of the Pc pic. but 32 welds was too difficult for me.
tennsy need only 6 (serial).

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
if you are dexteriuous. There is, at the beginning of this topic, an exemple.
Last edited by bob1969 on Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”