Atari st series computers conversion PC

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

bob1969
Atarian
Atarian

Re: Atari st series computers conversion PC

Postby bob1969 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:21 pm

Darklord,

Best doesn't work outside US now..
i have an idea. use "standard" silicon spring (without graphit contact). but place 2 films between key and PCB. on conductor and one insulate with 95 holes.
each press by key push conductor sheet. It will touch the pcb circuit through the hole. Like an common PC keyboard.
i just need an elastic conductor.
I need Robson...

never ending story...

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:02 am

bob1969 wrote:Best doesn't work outside US now..

I was concerned by this statement, so I asked Bradley at Best for a response. Here's what I got back:
Best Electronics wrote:Thank you for your E-Mail dated 11-21-12 Darren.

Q. I have just read a post on Atari Forum stating that you no longer sell outside of the US:
A. Wrong info. Darren. Just this week, we shipped a very large Atari order to Poland. Have another Atari order going to the UK today.

What has changed, is we No Longer ship small International Atari orders out the more cost effective US 1st Class Mail. We now only ship International Atari orders out Full US Priority Mail or US Express Mail. Usually the 1st pound of shipping weight using these International shipping methods, starts at around U$D 25 to U$D 30 which is not cost effective for small International Atari parts orders Darren. This is because of problems with PayPal, Google Checkout and International Credit Card companies.

We have been shipping International Atari orders out close to 26+ years now, longer than any other Atari dealer in the World. But in the last few years we have been burned a couple of times on Large Atari orders ($$$+) by some International Atari customers Darren. They said they wanted their Atari orders shipped the cheapest method, US 1st Class mail and knew the risks involved and would not back charge us if there orders got delayed in shipping or their customs departments. Guess what they did, Yes back charged us for their delayed Atari orders. At the worst case in the last 26+ shipping thousands and thousands of Atari orders all over the world, if there was a problem with the shipping address, customs delay or other problems, that International Atari order would be shipped back to us about 1 to 2 months after we originally shipped it out. So we knew that the missing / delayed International Atari orders were eventually received by the International Atari customers since not a single package ever came back to us Darren. You think they would reverse the back charge when they did finally received there missing Atari orders, not a single one did that Darren

It is a shame a few bad International Atari customers spoiled it for all of the other International World Wide Atari customers Darren. But the new rule came down from accounting, that all International Atari orders are to be shipped Full US Priority Mall or US Express Mail, which can be tracked and Insured.

Regards,
Bradley Koda
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, STacy 2, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Thu Nov 22, 2012 1:12 pm

Hmm... always wondered about that. Glad you posted it Dal. Thanks.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

bob1969
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bob1969 » Thu Nov 22, 2012 8:16 pm

I understand that best doesnt want to process small order.
i can buy in europe in a web site like VESALIA or other.

i just need a complet set silicon springs most rigid.
Well, i will tinker ..
thanks

Atarist8te74
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Atarist8te74 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:04 pm

How does the teensy react when alot of fast typing is done on the atari keyboard? Can it be bogged down and then catch up printing the characters? or does it react instantly with no problems?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:16 pm

I haven't noticed any problems. But then I don't type *that* fast.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

bob1969
Atarian
Atarian

Postby bob1969 » Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:36 pm

The speed limit factor is not the teensy but the return of silicon springs who are 20 years old at less.
it's not cherry red ! I use an extanded apple keyboard with APLS mecanics. It's the best of the world (after original IBM PS/2 of course)
I 'm thinking to create a new topic "how to renew a ST keyboard "

AxelG
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby AxelG » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:33 am

Hi

I do have Best's silicon caps in two ST's and they do better the tactile feedback a lot. They shouldn't be combined with their springs, however. They result in much to stiff key presses.

Good luck!
Axel G
Is there anything you can't do with two Atari ST PCs?

gilles504
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby gilles504 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:32 pm

@bob: nice machine, much more powerfull than mine ;)
Mine is still running 24/24 (webserver + SVN)

I now have a second motherboard to do the same with an empty A1200 case (with an A500 keyboard). But I did not find the time to work on it for monthes...
( @Atarist8te74 : I will probably work on adapting amiga keyboard to an USB device with a teensy someday, I learned a bit about AVR coding for another project).

Karlauss
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Karlauss » Sat Dec 14, 2013 11:05 pm

Hello!

That's exactly what I want to do! Basically a PC in a ST shell. Is there a place I can find several pics of similar projects? On this forum a lot of pics doesn't seems to open.

I just want want to re-use some old parts from pc's I owned. Is it possible?

- full size atx board + Pentium D 2.8mhz (integrated video and sound)
- 3.5 DD (or a 2.5)
- pc keyboard (no need to keep the atari kb)
- power supply put inside too.

I don't have my ST yet (I own one 25 years ago) so I don't remember well the dimensions and height.

Thanx!

Postby Guest » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:43 am

have you read all the pages?? and links start at page 1 and read the whole topic :contract:

full size boards are no good you need a dual core micro atx with two dimm ddr 2 slots
unified graphics sound and ports at least one serial and parallel lpt if pos
and use a pico psu block psu

eeun

Postby eeun » Thu May 08, 2014 6:10 pm

Sorry for digging up an old post, but I'm getting the same 'HardwareSerial' error as below. Joska's reply mentions having the wrong USB type selected, but I'm unsure what that refers to. I'm using a Leonardo, if that makes any difference.

AxelG wrote:Congrats ;)

@Joska:
Hi Joska,

I tried to compile, but it failed;)

Teensy Loader started.
Arduino IDE started.
ST_tastatur_USB loaded.
Verify button klicked:

HardwareSerial ST_kbd = HardwareSerial();

"ST_tastatur_USB:7: error: no matching function for call to 'HardwareSerial::HardwareSerial()'
D:\programme\util\ide\arduino-0021\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/HardwareSerial.h:48: note: candidates are: HardwareSerial::HardwareSerial(ring_buffer*, volatile uint8_t*, volatile uint8_t*, volatile uint8_t*, volatile uint8_t*, volatile uint8_t*, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t)
D:\programme\util\ide\arduino-0021\hardware\arduino\cores\arduino/HardwareSerial.h:30: note: HardwareSerial::HardwareSerial(const HardwareSerial&)
ST_tastatur_USB.cpp: In function 'void setup()':
ST_tastatur_USB:25: error: 'Keyboard' was not declared in this scope
ST_tastatur_USB:25: error: 'KEY_NUM_LOCK' was not declared in this scope
ST_tastatur_USB.cpp: In function 'void process_st_key(uint8_t)':
st:112: error: 'Mouse' was not declared in this scope
st:116: error: 'Mouse' was not declared in this scope
ST_tastatur_USB.cpp: At global scope:
st:236: error: 'KEY_CAPS_LOCK' was not declared in this scope
st:275: error: 'KEY_SCROLL_LOCK' was not declared in this scope
st:276: error: 'KEY_PRINTSCREEN' was not declared in this scope
st:277: error: 'KEY_NUM_LOCK' was not declared in this scope
st:279: error: 'KEYPAD_SLASH' was not declared in this scope
st:281: error: 'KEYPAD_7' was not declared in this scope
st:282: error: 'KEYPAD_8' was not declared in this scope
st:283: error: 'KEYPAD_9' was not declared in this scope
st:284: error: 'KEYPAD_4' was not declared in this scope
st:285: error: 'KEYPAD_5' was not declared in this scope
st:286: error: 'KEYPAD_6' was not declared in this scope
st:287: error: 'KEYPAD_1' was not declared in this scope
st:288: error: 'KEYPAD_2' was not declared in this scope
st:289: error: 'KEYPAD_3' was not declared in this scope
st:290: error: 'KEYPAD_0' was not declared in this scope
st:292: error: 'KEYPAD_ENTER' was not declared in this scope
ST_tastatur_USB.cpp: In function 'void convert_ST_USB(uint8_t)':
st:307: error: 'MODIFIERKEY_SHIFT' was not declared in this scope
st:314: error: 'MODIFIERKEY_ALT' was not declared in this scope
st:320: error: 'MODIFIERKEY_CTRL' was not declared in this scope
st:343: error: 'KEY_F1' was not declared in this scope
st:350: error: 'KEY_Y' was not declared in this scope
st:350: error: 'MODIFIERKEY_CTRL' was not declared in this scope
st:357: error: 'KEY_Y' was not declared in this scope
ST_tastatur_USB.cpp: In function 'void usb_sendkey(uint8_t, uint8_t, uint8_t)':
usb_keyboard:4: error: 'Keyboard' was not declared in this scope"

Thanks,
Axel

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri May 09, 2014 9:38 am

eeun wrote:Sorry for digging up an old post, but I'm getting the same 'HardwareSerial' error as below. Joska's reply mentions having the wrong USB type selected, but I'm unsure what that refers to. I'm using a Leonardo, if that makes any difference.

I don't know the Leonardo, but my code is written for a Teensy 2 using the Teensyduino libraries. I don't know if Arduino USB HID libraries are compatible with Teensyduino, you have to check that out. Also, I'm quite sure that the UART serial port on the Leonardo is called Serial or Serial1 (look it up) and not HardwareSerial like on the Teensy.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

eeun

Postby eeun » Sat May 10, 2014 10:12 pm

Success! In my Googling, I came across Kevin Peat's site, who did a version for the Leonardo based on Joska's code:
http://www.kevinpeat.com/atari_pi_keyboard_coding.html

Just for giggles, I found a Leonardo sketch for the Amiga 500 keyboard as well:
http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?PHPSE ... c=139358.0

Both work fine. :cheers:

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sun May 11, 2014 6:51 pm

eeun wrote:I'm using a Leonardo, if that makes any difference.

Out of curiosity - why a Leonardo and not a Teensy? I'm not familiar with the Leonardo, does it offer any advantages over the Teensy?
Jo Even

eeun

Postby eeun » Wed May 14, 2014 2:11 pm

joska wrote:Out of curiosity - why a Leonardo and not a Teensy? I'm not familiar with the Leonardo, does it offer any advantages over the Teensy?

No dramatic reason other than I got a good deal on one. I do intend to get a Teensy at some point too.

Atarist8te74

Postby Atarist8te74 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:20 am

I have been absent from here for quite some time!

Quite a few things have happend here! Lost my Dad to Cancer in May. Took on refurbing some Amiga 1200's that took over everything (SCSI stuff drove me crazy lol), some projects got shelved etc. But I have now ordered a Teensy ++ 2.0 board (for the ST keyboard conversion). I can now continue with my Atari STE/Pc hybrid mashup. Also got my hands on a really nice pico-style psu board and quality power adaptor. Itching to crack on and get work done :)

*Out of curiosity! Can the Teensy now do Amiga keyboards? The Arduino Leonardo sketch works great for A500 keyboards, but the fact it will only work once the o/s starts loading puts me off a bit! The Teensy is the better option imho! I want it work on a DOS level and work within the bios setup. The arduino amiga stuff does not allow that :(

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:54 am

Atarist8te74 wrote:*Out of curiosity! Can the Teensy now do Amiga keyboards? The Arduino Leonardo sketch works great for A500 keyboards, but the fact it will only work once the o/s starts loading puts me off a bit!

That sounds weird. There is no reason why it shouldn't behave as a proper USB HID keyboard. The A500 keyboard would be quite easy to convert as it has a keyboard controller. The A600/1200 keyboards is a bit more complex, you'd need a Teensy 2++ with lots of pins because you'd have to connect it directly to the keyboard matrix. It shouldn't be very difficult though, I have already done this with a Stacy keyboard and it works perfectly.
Jo Even

Atarist8te74

Postby Atarist8te74 » Mon Oct 20, 2014 7:48 pm

joska wrote:
Atarist8te74 wrote:*Out of curiosity! Can the Teensy now do Amiga keyboards? The Arduino Leonardo sketch works great for A500 keyboards, but the fact it will only work once the o/s starts loading puts me off a bit!

That sounds weird. There is no reason why it shouldn't behave as a proper USB HID keyboard. The A500 keyboard would be quite easy to convert as it has a keyboard controller. The A600/1200 keyboards is a bit more complex, you'd need a Teensy 2++ with lots of pins because you'd have to connect it directly to the keyboard matrix. It shouldn't be very difficult though, I have already done this with a Stacy keyboard and it works perfectly.

All I can say is after loading up an A500 keyboard sketch to the Leonardo, checking the wiring was correct! I had a working keyboard BUT! I was not quite what I was hoping for. To access the low-level bios setup using the converted keyboard just does not seem possible with the Leonardo. So I was forced to use another bog standard usb keyboard. I really did not want to faff about having extra bits hanging off my conversion. I ended up sticking to a Keyrah which is good, works perfectly BUT I hate the board design. It just will not fit right inside my converted A500 case :(

My attentions will now turn to the Atari ST conversion! The Teensy 2++ will be a no brainer to fit somewhere and not get in the way :)
I would really like this for the Amiga as well!

McCarthy
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby McCarthy » Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:48 pm

Oh man, this is so freaking awesome. The Teensy is on its way. I'm curious about the power supply you guys have used. Is it a normal ATX supply with the cage removed?
Do the Joystick ports still work?
Cheers

LuckyOldMan
Atari User
Atari User

Postby LuckyOldMan » Wed Sep 23, 2015 5:36 pm

Hi there,

it's a pity that lately so little is written here about new projects. So I'm gonna refresh this thread again a bit! ;)

When I restarted in 2013 with my Atari-stuff I came across this tread and was enthusiastic about these conversion that some of you had done (I had my first 1040STF in a big-tower in 1994 - who's interested, please look at Atari-home.de (german atari site) what I've built in 2013).

So I decided to built one by myself but it took me 'till now to start with. I would say the delay was not a disadvantage at all because in the meantime the Thin-ITX-era started.

Last week I received a fanless mini-PC with a ASRock Q1900TM-ITX @8GB which I think fits perfect to a Atari 520ST or a 1040ST. The HDD is a WD 500GB 2,5". Some wiring for additional USB3.0 & USB2.0 (mb) are on the way.

Personally I do prefer the 520ST because the SF314-/354 fits much better next to a 520ST (depth). There will be a slim-DVD-slot-in drive in a SF354.

But ... based on the pics you can imagine how tight it is: unfortunately the cpu-heatsink gets just below the keyboard. I made a light-profile (hope this is the right expression) out of cardboard and the keyboard's bottom nearly touches the heatsink. The mb will be placed where the cardboard profile is now (the plastic prop will be cut out).

Of course there is more room in the 1040ST but as I said earlier ...

Following joska's recommendation I bought the original Teensy2.0.

But there are some questions remaining although I went through this thread several times. ;)

Joska was so kind to supply some with the kb software files but within all these files which were mostly called "tastatur st" I couldn't find out which one is the right one. One file I found was a hex-file (I guess it was called teensy) which I could program the Teensy with (the loader asks for .hex-files) but all the other were .pde-files. What do I have to do with these?.

Second a question to the wiring between the kb & teensy: does the 5V (VCC) & GND (GND) comes separately from the psu?
Is the wiring just solded to the teensy or did one use a socket?
How should I wire the 520ST keyboard to the teensy?

I hope there are still some guys out there willing to help me out - thanks a lot in advance! :)
Last edited by LuckyOldMan on Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
260ST: TOS 1.0.4/1MB
520STM: TOS 1.0.2/1MB
520STM: TOS 1.0.4/4MB/AT-Speed C16 Rev.2
520ST+: TOS 1.0/1MB
1040STFM: TOS 1.06/1MB
1040STF Tower: KAOS TOS 1.4.2/4 MB/HDD 105S+730S/Toshiba CD-Rom/ZipDrive/AT-Keyboard
4160STE: TOS 2.06/1.62/4 MB
MegaSTE: TOS 2.06/4MB/HDD 103S -
TT030: TOS 3.06/10MB/64MB/Quantum 210S/Megavision300

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Sep 23, 2015 7:14 pm

LuckyOldMan wrote:Following joska's recommendation I bought the original Teensy2.0.

But there are some questions remaining although I went through this thread several times. ;)

Joska was so kind to supply some with the kb software files but within all these files which were mostly called "tastatur st" I couldn't find out which one is the right one. One file I found was a hex-file (I guess it was called teensy) which I could program the Teensy with (the loader asks for .hex-files) but all the other were .pde-files. What do I have to do with these?.

If there's a .hex-file in the archive you can program the Teensy with the Teensy uploader program. The pde files are the source files - you are supposed to compile and upload these with the Arduino IDE. There's instructions on the Teensy website on how to do this.

LuckyOldMan wrote:Second a question to the wiring between the kb & teensy: does the 5V (VCC) & GND (GND) comes separately from the psu?

The keyboard is powered from the USB-port via the Teensy.
Wiring is like this:

Code: Select all

Keyboard     Teensy
Gnd          Gnd
5V           5V
Rx           Tx
Tx           Rx

The keyboard connector pinout is easily found with Google. The Teensy pinout is printed on the cardboard sheet you got with your Teensy. If you don't have it, look at the Teensy website.

Good luck! :)
Jo Even

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:31 am

Oh, I forgot - this is an ST keyboard so it needs a reset-signal as well.

Teensy2 to IKBD keyboard.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jo Even

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:03 am

LuckyOldMan wrote:Hi there,

it's a pity that lately so little is written here about new projects. So I'm gonna refresh this thread again a bit! ;)

When I restarted in 2013 with my Atari-stuff I came across this tread and was enthusiastic about these conversion that some of you had done (I had my first 1040STF in a big-tower in 1994 - who's interested, please look at Atari-home.de (german atari site) what I've built in 2013).

So I decided to built one by myself but it took me 'till now to start with. I would say the delay was not a disadvantage at all because in the meantime the Thin-ITX-era started.

Last week I received a fanless mini-PC with a ASRock Q1900TM-ITX @8GB which I think fits perfect to a Atari 520ST or a 1040ST. The HDD is a WD 500GB 2,5". Some wiring for additional USB3.0 & USB2.0 (mb) are on the way.

Personally I do prefer the 520ST because the SF314-/354 fits much better next to a 520ST (depth). There will be a slim-DVD-slot-in drive in a SF354.

But ... based on the pics you can imagine how tight it is: unfortunately the cpu-heatsink gets just below the keyboard. I made a light-profile (hope this is the right expression) out of cardboard and the keyboard's bottom nearly touches the heatsink. The mb will be placed where the cardboard profile is now (the plastic prop will be cut out).

Of course there is more room in the 1040ST but as I said earlier ...

Following joska's recommendation I bought the original Teensy2.0.

Second a question to the wiring between the kb & teensy: does the 5V (VCC) & GND (GND) comes separately from the psu?
Is the wiring just solded to the teensy or did one use a socket?
How should I wire the 520ST keyboard to the teensy?

I hope there are still some guys out there willing to help me out - thanks a lot in advance! :)

looking good so far :) I need to update mine - it has a very old board that struggles to run XP, so a more modern board would make it useable as a proper computer. Time to look on ebay :)

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:41 am

LuckyOldMan wrote:Personally I do prefer the 520ST because the SF314-/354 fits much better next to a 520ST (depth). There will be a slim-DVD-slot-in drive in a SF354.

Ok, I didn't notice until now that you're converting an STM... In that case you won't be able to use the ST keyboard/joystick ports unless you make a PCB with mouse/joystick connectors and connect it to the keyboard. See the STM schematics for details.

Of course, if you don't intend to use Atari joysticks/mice then this doesn't matter.

Btw I really hope you're not gutting a working STM...
Jo Even

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”