Atari st series computers conversion PC

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Atari st series computers conversion PC

Postby joska » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:27 am

It should work fine on the Teensy 2.0++ according to vfrvulcan. I have not tested it myself but I don't see why it shouldn't work. Maybe your ++ is faulty.

Some things to try:

1. Unplug the mouse from the ST keyboard.
2. I don't think the ST keyboards have pull-up resistors on the Tx/Rx lines. These are located on the ST motherboard. Try adding a pull-up resistor to the Teensy Rx pin (1k resistor from Rx to 5V).

Powering the keyboard from the Teensy would normally not be a problem, unless there is something wrong with the USB port/cable/Teensy/keyboard.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

vfrvulcan
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby vfrvulcan » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:26 am

For info, I'm running on a Raspberry Pi 3 with an original Pi 5.1V/2.5A PSU and 500GB SATA/USB HDD

I've only briefly used it on a PC, once I confirmed it worked better than before I plugged it into the Pi and kept it there

roninfourseven
Atariator
Atariator

Postby roninfourseven » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:07 pm

I tried last night to use the keyboard/Teensy 2++ combo via a powered usb hub, and it was just the same, so not looking like a power issue either. I guess I'm going to have to wait until my Teensy 2 that's on back order arrives :cry:

It is very strange that it works long enough for me to type quite a lot before just either spewing out random characters or just freezing, and then spewing out random characters.

I have tried it on Windows 10, XP, Vista and 2000 Pro, all with the same end result. I also tried on a Pi, but it just didn't work.

I'll carry on with the rest of my build for now, I have an ST case, a 1.6Ghz micro ATX mainboard, 1GB Ram, a PicoPsu and just need to decide on what HDD I'm going to use. Then it will get installed into the case and will run either Hatari or STEEM for Atari goodness.

My main Atari will still be my 4160STE, with 32Mhz booster and Fast ROM switcher by exxos, and CosmosEx by Jookie, this is a side project for fun :D

roninfourseven
Atariator
Atariator

Postby roninfourseven » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:16 pm

joska wrote:It should work fine on the Teensy 2.0++ according to vfrvulcan. I have not tested it myself but I don't see why it shouldn't work. Maybe your ++ is faulty.

Some things to try:

1. Unplug the mouse from the ST keyboard.
2. I don't think the ST keyboards have pull-up resistors on the Tx/Rx lines. These are located on the ST motherboard. Try adding a pull-up resistor to the Teensy Rx pin (1k resistor from Rx to 5V).

Powering the keyboard from the Teensy would normally not be a problem, unless there is something wrong with the USB port/cable/Teensy/keyboard.

Thanks Joska.

The ++ is fine, it seems to be perfectly happy to take other code (Blink for example).

In terms of the steps above, I've never had a mouse plugged into it up to this point.
I'll certainly try the 1K pullup to the Rx line, that sounds like a good possibility, and easy to do.

I'm pretty confident that there is not an issue with power, after testing with a powered USB hub last night. I don't believe the cable is an issue either as it works for other things, but I will also swap it out.

I have some time off now, so I think I should be able to get the pullup tested soon, and I'll report back.

Thanks everyone.

roninfourseven
Atariator
Atariator

Postby roninfourseven » Sat Dec 24, 2016 5:47 pm

So, no joy with the pull up resistor on the right side, is it worth trying it on the tx side?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Dec 28, 2016 7:57 am

roninfourseven wrote:So, no joy with the pull up resistor on the right side, is it worth trying it on the tx side?

That shouldn't make any difference.

Sorry, I have no idea why the Teensy 2.0++ isn't working for you. Since the firmware is apparently working for vfrvulcan I would assume that you have a hardware problem somewhere.

Maybe you should try a Teensy 2.0 instead?
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

roninfourseven
Atariator
Atariator

Postby roninfourseven » Fri Jan 27, 2017 1:54 pm

So, my back ordered Teensy 2 arrived yesterday, and I got it all wired up, and aside from me wiring reset to the wrong place first off, once I corrected that and flashed, I was able to use the keyboard with no issues.

I'm probably going to revisit the ++ sometime later on, but for now I'm going to crack on with my PC in an ST case, as I have all of the parts connected on my workbench and running, the keyboard being the final piece of the puzzle.

Essentially its a 1.6Ghz dual core Atom CPU, 1GB RAM and a 16GB CF card for the disk, connected via a SATA adapter. I have a Pico PSU with a small 12v PSU to drive that. Power consumption should be quite low. OS is Pixel for PC, from the RPi site.

Hatari runs a treat :)

puniu1acc
Atarian
Atarian

Postby puniu1acc » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:02 am

Looking forward to the finished product.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”