Preparing your SD card to work with the ST & PC

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Klapauzius
The Klaz
The Klaz

Re: Preparing your SD card to work with the ST & PC

Postby Klapauzius » Sat May 05, 2012 8:39 pm

512MB is the maximum partition size that plain TOS 1.62 can handle.

Partitions > 512MB, up to 1GB, need TOS 4.x (i.e. Falcon).
http://www.klapauzius.net
http://dbug.kicks-ass.net/klaz

The tears are welling in my eyes again, I need twenty big buckets to catch them in, twenty pretty girls to carry them down, twenty deep holes to bury them in.

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Sat May 05, 2012 8:55 pm

Official Ninja wrote:Anyone with an original SatanDisk able to create a partition great than 512mb?

I have tried several cards, 1gb and 2gb and the most I can use on them is 512mb.

In hddriver the larger partitions (up to 1gb) seem to be created fine but when I reboot they aren't usable.
At boot hddriver lists the partition C, but TOS 1.62 does not make a drive icon and hddutil doesn't list anything to install hddriver on.

Like Klaz and Mug said, you're at your maximum with TOS 1.62 and under. On my STacy, with TOS 1.4, I use 2 gig SDcards with 4 partitions of slightly less than 512k.

What are you doing there, that you need partitions larger than that? :wink:
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Official Ninja
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Official Ninja » Sun May 06, 2012 6:32 pm

Thanks for the info everyone.

Here is my problem. I have a 1gb card I created 2 512mb partitions but there is no D drive icon on the desktop.

when booting hddriver lists C and D partitions. Also in HDDRUTIL the D partition is listed in the initialize menu.

How can I acess this D partition?

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sun May 06, 2012 7:13 pm

Install a new drive option from desktop menu then save your desktop.inf file?
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Sun May 06, 2012 9:16 pm

Right, highlight the "C" drive icon, then do as Mug says, install and in the popup
menu, give it the "D" identifier. Should show up on your desktop then, and you
should be able to access the 2nd partition.

Don't forget to save your desktop once you get it the way you want it. :)
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

Official Ninja
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Official Ninja » Sun May 06, 2012 10:55 pm

Thanks Mug UK and DarkLord!

I have only used hard drives with 2.06 in my Mega STe's and did not realize in 1.62 you have to highlight a drive before the option was available.
I was wondering why it was always grayed out before. In 2.06 it's install devices and it's always available.

Also I was getting corrupt data when copying from partition to partition. I had hddriver set to 999 in Fat and Data cache (minimal settings) and 0 extra folders.
I changed it to Fat cache 10 Data cache 999 and 0 additional folders. So far, I have been able to copy large amounts back and forth and everything seems good.

Also I noticed only the C partition is seen by Windows when I plug the card into the pc.

Thanks for all the help!

Desty
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Desty » Mon May 07, 2012 1:44 am

Official Ninja wrote:I have only used hard drives with 2.06 in my Mega STe's and did not realize in 1.62 you have to highlight a drive before the option was available.
I was wondering why it was always grayed out before. In 2.06 it's install devices and it's always available.

Yes, a bit of a usability booboo there until later versions of TOS.
The built-in text displayer is a bit dodgy too, although it can be replaced :)
tá'n poc ar buile!

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Mon May 07, 2012 3:50 pm

Glad you got it sorted in the end.
My main site: http://www.mug-uk.co.uk - slowly digging up the bits from my past (and re-working a few): Atari ST, Sega 8-bit (game hacks) and NDS (Music ripping guide).

I develop a free Word (for Windows) add-in that's available for Word 2007 upwards. It's a fix-it toolbox that will allow power Word users to fix document errors. You can find it at: http://www.mikestoolbox.co.uk

fredforty8
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby fredforty8 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:39 pm

Hi MugUK, today I downloaded your guide for Preparing an SD card for use with ST & PC ... very nicely written. I know I'm showing up late to this party, since you wrote that several years ago, but I never had a HDD for either of my STs, and I dreaded spending over $200 for a Megafile that might crap out right after I got it! :(
I plan on using one of my machines in our Church, connected to the organ via MIDI, for the purpose of using a sequencing program to capture and store the hymns for future playback, and I need something better than floppies.
Here's my questions (for you or anybody)...
Why in the world did the creators of this technology name it the Satan Disk? LOL, that's not my question, the question is: Is there any way to change what gets displayed onscreen during HDDRIVER's device check, or is the name Satan Disk programmed into (and recalled from) the device's firmware?
You can picture it, can't you? The Vicar is looking over my shoulder as I set this up, and suddenly that appears! :roll:
The Wiki page indicated that Satan Disk was out of production, but it seems v3 of it is still being offered at http://afs.atari.org/satandisk.htm ... I wouldn't think of trying to get an UltraSatan after what I've read on the various threads here.
The other options presented on Wiki seemed to be still in development (STe cartridge port interface for CF cards) or, like the SCM PCD-50B card reader, still require some type of SCSI interface.
Thanks for any guidance.
Freddy

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Fri Jul 27, 2012 8:17 am

fredforty8 wrote:Why in the world did the creators of this technology name it the Satan Disk? LOL, that's not my question, the question is: Is there any way to change what gets displayed onscreen during HDDRIVER's device check, or is the name Satan Disk programmed into (and recalled from) the device's firmware?

Naah, you can't change it easily, you would need to burn new firmware in the chip. This was changed in UltraSatan, where you can change the display name using some small utility for the same reason as yours - someone wanted to use it in church and didn't like the 'Satan' in the name :-D

fredforty8 wrote:The Wiki page indicated that Satan Disk was out of production, but it seems v3 of it is still being offered at...

Well, 'out of production' is not a very good description. I always make a batch of devices of one kind after development and then it goes 'out of production', but the schematics, firmware and everything is free online, so here and there someone decides to make another few devices, or someone builds the device for himself.

fredforty8
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby fredforty8 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 4:28 pm

Jookie, thanks for the info.
After I posted about my hesitation in seeking an UltraSatan, I read a post from the person currently building them (Zaxxon) where he explained the delays in deliveries having to do with him losing his job. I feel bad that I hadn't taken into account that possibility, especially in this worldwide economic slump. So apologies for any assumptions I made based on other posts and incomplete information. Glad to hear that Zaxxon found another job.
Freddy

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Tue Jul 31, 2012 5:56 pm

Glad my guide was of use (I've only just read this as I've been on holiday for the last week)

flashjazzcat
Atari User
Atari User

Postby flashjazzcat » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:08 pm

Just getting back into tinkering with the UltraSatan after a LONG absence, and it seems the landscape has changed somewhat. Back when I first received the device, I set things up as per this description:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/151497-ultrasatan-arrived/page__st__25#entry1854895

Now, attempting to prepare another card a couple of years later, the mentioned software (ppera's IDEDBP.ZIP) is no longer online, and I don't you know I don't have a local copy after all this time either. I can find no information on creating TOS/DOS compatible partitions using ICD Pro, can't find a copy of ppera's software which I originally used when I got the device, and am bone skint so can't afford HDDriver at the moment.

So - after all this time - can partitions be created visible to Windows and TOS (for moving info from the PC to the ST) using currently available free tools, or is the purchase of HDDriver more or less obligatory?

Sorry for the questions, but I just spent most of the evening trying to get my UltraSatan set up the way it was when I last used it, and I'm getting nowhere fast. ;)

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:37 pm

Here are some of PP's hard disk files I have on my backup drive; hope they are what you want.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

flashjazzcat
Atari User
Atari User

Postby flashjazzcat » Fri Oct 05, 2012 10:20 am

Shredder11 wrote:Here are some of PP's hard disk files I have on my backup drive; hope they are what you want.

Many, many thanks for the quick response Shredder. I'm quite sure this is the answer to all my problems. Most appreciated. :)

rabindranath72
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rabindranath72 » Fri Jan 18, 2013 5:32 pm

Used the guidelines for my STe+Adtron SDDS03A CF reader+GeSoft ACSI-SCSI and they work very well :) Obviously there is the HdDriver limitation of a single partition TOS/Win compatible, which together with the TOS 2.06 limitation of 512Mb per partition, means that this is an upper bound for me. So I will get a smaller CF card for permanent use with the STe.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:47 pm

rabindranath72 wrote:Used the guidelines for my STe+Adtron SDDS03A CF reader+GeSoft ACSI-SCSI and they work very well :)

Why thank you :)

rabindranath72 wrote:Obviously there is the HdDriver limitation of a single partition TOS/Win compatible, which together with the TOS 2.06 limitation of 512Mb per partition, means that this is an upper bound for me. So I will get a smaller CF card for permanent use with the STe.

But they're also cheap as chips on ePrey :)

rabindranath72
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rabindranath72 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:53 am

Have you tried with more than one OS? I was thinking of having both TOS and MINIX on a 1Gb card. HdDriver would handle the Windows compatible section, whereas MINIX would have its own driver. Within the limit of 1Gb of my adapter, I think this should work.

Mug UK
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Mug UK » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:12 am

I've never used or tried setting up Minix so wouldn't know where to start on that one. But if you get it working, keep plenty of notes and it can be added to the guide.

rabindranath72
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rabindranath72 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:13 am

I have tried it in the past, but with a smaller hard disk (128Mb) and no TOS/Win compatible partitioning. I will surely report my findings!

rabindranath72
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby rabindranath72 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:13 pm

After a (huge) number of trials, it turns out that on my hardware this method is not stable. I am not sure whether it's the particular CF card I am using, or the GeSoft ACSI-SCSI interface, or the CF reader; but even with TOS 2.06, I cannot get partitions larger than 255 Mb to work properly. The data would get corrupted, HDDRIVER would randomly hang, when reinstalling it would refuse to be written on the C: partition etc.
Reducing the partition size solved all problems.
Also, sadly, MINIX refuses to work with TOS/Windows compatible partitioning, so in the end I used AHDI 6, and ppera's drvimg software to copy TOS files from a PC. Not exactly a clean solution, but at least it works.

Jimbronie
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Jimbronie » Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:30 pm

Is there a way I can do this on TOS 1.00? Seems my first partition has to be 16mb but when I copy something to it on the windows machine it doesn't show up on my st.

ecureuil
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ecureuil » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:24 pm

Thank you for this document !

PaSiTee
Atarian
Atarian

Postby PaSiTee » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:12 pm

This is an option that does DOS/TOS compatibily by default, by Mr. Putnik. Easy setup, fast boot, light on RAM.

Postby Guest » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:30 pm

Jimbronie wrote:Is there a way I can do this on TOS 1.00? Seems my first partition has to be 16mb but when I copy something to it on the windows machine it doesn't show up on my st.

you need to update tos 1 on the load fly
tos 1 has a very many flaws in its sizes sizing from its physical size and range
otherwise look for tos 1 patches to fix some of the flaws

for instance tos 1 formats a floppy 720k 1 byte less than it should be
this is an indication
so when you come too use dma disks on tos 1
you need to partition them as one byte less etc....
so your primary part should be 127MB
follow the flaws and patch them out by use of geometry correction
or live with the flaws and patch the disk primary tos partition
method is
make a small tos 1 partition on the sdcard
then add too it a boot menu and choices to add boot stage patches
then once patched it can load or reboot load a better setup
tos 1 isnt so good
for some games its essential
but you need to be able to choose what to load and in what order
and only a boot / re hot boot choice of prg and acc etc is cool
choose what too load and in what order or patch