MegaFile 44 - what sort of interface?

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

karlm
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

MegaFile 44 - what sort of interface?

Postby karlm » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:40 am

Hi All..

Just wondering if the MegaFile 44 (which uses SyQuest 44mb carts) is a standard SCSI beast or is it one of those old MFM/RLL drives like the rest of the MegaFile series? I ask because one is up for auction, and I thought that if it's standard SCSI I could unplug the SyQuest mechanism and use one of my 270mb or 1gb SCSI1 drives in it....

cheers

karlm.

techie_alison
Administrator
Administrator

Re: MegaFile 44 - what sort of interface?

Postby techie_alison » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:10 am

Heyo Karl,

From what I've been reading over the last few weeks, ...it uses completely standard Syquest 44MB cartridges. And it's a licenced drive. The Syquests had the reputation of being robust over the Iomega Jaz drives. There's actually a SCSI host adapter in there.

I was curious so did some searching. Will report back with some links during the day as I find them.

:D

...an Atari ACSI<>SCSI adapter; http://www.google.co.uk/search?num=50&h ... arch&meta=
If I don't answer or appear to have forgotton then email again, I'm scatty! :)

http://www.logicsays.com/ = Updated Site
http://www.logicsays.com/index1 = Older Site (with more Atari)

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:39 am

This page also qualifies what Aly said. Atari DMA interface with internal ICD host adapters.

karlm
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby karlm » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:37 pm

Hmmm ... the guy has $45 on postage, it has no cables ... if I can get it for $50 sounds like it might be worth it.

techie_alison
Administrator
Administrator

Postby techie_alison » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:55 pm

Well I have 200MB Syquest drives here, which are brand new. But you would need an ICD Link to use them.

God knows how much it would be to ship to Oz, they're about 3Kgs all packed.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=15361&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=syquest&start=45
If I don't answer or appear to have forgotton then email again, I'm scatty! :)

http://www.logicsays.com/ = Updated Site
http://www.logicsays.com/index1 = Older Site (with more Atari)

karlm
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby karlm » Sun Dec 14, 2008 9:45 pm

Thanks Aly - but the problem is not the drives for me, but the interfaces. That's why I thought the MegaFile might be good for an old ST as Links are rarer than rocking horse crap over here :(

rocket-dog
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby rocket-dog » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:45 pm

karlm wrote:Thanks Aly - but the problem is not the drives for me, but the interfaces. That's why I thought the MegaFile might be good for an old ST as Links are rarer than rocking horse crap over here :(

They are just as rare up (down?) here. I just got mine a few weeks back from a nice Norwegian gentlemen. And the SCSI cartridge devices are a wonder, proper computer peripherals with flashing lights and everything. Though I am not sure when they start to spin if it is the discs that are moving or if we are spinning around the disc. :mrgreen:

KiwiArcader
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby KiwiArcader » Sun Jan 11, 2009 9:13 pm

karlm wrote:Hmmm ... the guy has $45 on postage, it has no cables ... if I can get it for $50 sounds like it might be worth it.

I got my Megafile 44 along with the Mega 1 the other day. Definitely SCSI and it even had a 20MB SCSI drive in the bay beside the Syquest. Just need a HD Install floppy to format them up etc and I'm away ....

Any idea's on what install software to use?

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:04 pm

Try ICD Pro.

KiwiArcader
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby KiwiArcader » Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:23 am

PaulB wrote:Try ICD Pro.

Cheers ... downloaded both disk so will give it a try. Geez ....I'd love to remove the Syquest and put a SCSI CD-Rom in there .... especially if it makes the full 700mb of space available :-)

BTW ....does anyone have a pdf of the Mega File 44 manual lying around? Or know where I can pick up and original manual?

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Sun Jan 18, 2009 1:45 am

karlm wrote: Just wondering if the MegaFile 44 (which uses SyQuest 44mb carts) is a standard SCSI beast

Yes, it is SCSI.

And the Megafile 44 box contains an Atari SCSI adapter.

The adapter is more or less exactly the same as the one in Mega STE, with the exception that it actually can handle 2 hardrives without modification if I remember correctly.

It is slower than most SCSI interfaces, lacks support for parity (although plans for adding it are available at many places, and it is not even difficult.)
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

ppera

Postby ppera » Mon Jan 19, 2009 5:31 pm

Greenious wrote:...
The adapter is more or less exactly the same as the one in Mega STE, with the exception that it actually can handle 2 hardrives without modification if I remember correctly.
It is slower than most SCSI interfaces, lacks support for parity (although plans for adding it are available at many places, and it is not even difficult.)

I see here some contradiction. If it is same as adapter in Mega STE then it is not slower as other 'SCSI interfaces'. As Mega STE's adapter (better name than SCSI IF) can work at full speed of ACSI (DMA) port in ST.
Parity can be easily added, true.
Btw. ACSI-SCSI adapters should not affect speed at all - they are relative simple adapters, which just convert some commands, parameters and bus signals.

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:54 pm

ppera wrote: I see here some contradiction. If it is same as adapter in Mega STE then it is not slower as other 'SCSI interfaces'. As Mega STE's adapter (better name than SCSI IF) can work at full speed of ACSI (DMA) port in ST.
Parity can be easily added, true.
Btw. ACSI-SCSI adapters should not affect speed at all - they are relative simple adapters, which just convert some commands, parameters and bus signals.

Well, the Megafile 44 interface is known to be among the slower ones on ST. but otoh, the speed difference is not that big, and probably not of interest unless you do really big copying operations.

Megafile 44/Mega STE design is more or less the same, the MEGA STE is just more compact, possible also using faster components which may account for it being able to go full speed.
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

ppera

Postby ppera » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:10 am

again i disagree.very likely megafile had just slow drive. speed of components actually affects not speed of work. slow components may just cause unreliable work, data loss. or 2 adapter is not similar. trust me, i know exactly how mega ste adapter works.

IsoldeandIsobelle
Atariator
Atariator

Postby IsoldeandIsobelle » Sun Feb 01, 2015 7:21 am

Just reviving this thread to ask exactly how parity would be achieved using interfaces like these.

waltermixxx
Atari User
Atari User

Postby waltermixxx » Sun Feb 01, 2015 10:25 pm

i have one of these syquests 44's and mine is purely scsi, it does not have an atari port on it...
so it must be used with a asci to scsi interface... ( I pulled one out of a fast hard drive) :)

I have about 4 or 5 carts with it... and it's bootable... :)

not sure if any of these helps... but does your have a 19 pin on the back of it, or standard scsi :)

IsoldeandIsobelle
Atariator
Atariator

Postby IsoldeandIsobelle » Mon Feb 02, 2015 5:28 am

Hi there - yes, mine has two 19 pin (input/output) on the back.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:54 am

IsoldeandIsobelle wrote:Just reviving this thread to ask exactly how parity would be achieved using interfaces like these.

Here's some notes I made while adapting a MSTE host adapter to work with my Mega ST.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

IsoldeandIsobelle
Atariator
Atariator

Postby IsoldeandIsobelle » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:47 am

Thank you joska. A useful document and very much what I was looking for.
Very kind of you to share.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”