Link (SCSI adapter) and other ACSI devices together

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Link (SCSI adapter) and other ACSI devices together

Postby Jookie » Mon Sep 29, 2008 12:22 pm

Hello all,

does/did someone have connected some SCSI device to your ST using the Link host adapter (Link96 or Link-II) on the ACSI port and simultaneously had some other ACSI device connected? And did it work well? (i.e. the situation when the Link was not alone on the ACSI bus).

I wonder because other ACSI devices (Megafile, SH205, ...) had ACSI IN and ACSI OUT connector, so they probably expected another device to be connected, but the Link has only ACSI IN connector... Did they thought of that someone will have the Link connected with some other ACSI device to the ST?

Regards,
Jookie

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Link (SCSI adapter) and other ACSI devices together

Postby PaulB » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:10 pm

In the past I've used an external drive connected to ACSI port and used The Link 1 to a cd rom drive from the ACSI out on the hard drive. They worked fine together. Just have to make sure they have different scsi id's and The Link receives Term Power which a cd rom drive provides anyway.

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Sep 29, 2008 2:49 pm

Good :) And how about Link-II and Link96?

PaulB
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby PaulB » Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:19 pm

Sorry I don't own any of those but I would imagine they would work the same. Although you never know and it's good to check to make sure.

Can anyone else help Jookie out to see if this hardware config will work?

Rygar
Atariator
Atariator

Postby Rygar » Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:46 pm

I've never connected a Link 96 on my Atari. I've never connected not a single disk on my Atari and i'm waiting for your Ultrasatan :mrgreen:. However, since Link II/96 converts ACSI to SCSI, i guess that ACSI IN and OUT are being replaced by SCSI IN and SCSI out on each connected device. For example, an external SCSI disk will provide a SCSI OUT to connect, let's say, an external CDROM drive and this will provide SCSI OUT for a ZIP drive and so on...

Jookie
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Jookie » Mon Sep 29, 2008 10:16 pm

Rygar wrote:i guess that ACSI IN and OUT are being replaced by SCSI IN and SCSI out on each connected device. For example, an external SCSI disk will provide a SCSI OUT to connect, let's say, an external CDROM drive and this will provide SCSI OUT for a ZIP drive and so on...

Good thinking, but it still doesn't answer the question "Will it work with other ACSI device?" :) The SCSI IN and SCSI OUT are on the SCSI bus, which is made from ACSI bus using some logic (74's or a CPLD)... So it seems that I will have to test it with my Link-II device to see what it does. (to make sure that people can connect the thing to another things).

Thank you for all your help.
Regards,
Jookie

pterodactyl
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby pterodactyl » Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:56 am

Jookie,
It would be nice if the new SuperSatan or whatever you're designing presently would co-exsist with ICD and Laser printer and Atari HDDs and the like. Seems to me I had some other gadget that used the port as well...Hmmm can't recall. I have a Link 97 -I think it was- and I could not use it with the SatanDisk. I also tried an ICD FaST and it did not work either.
Lou

popsel
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby popsel » Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:57 am

Jookie,

I have connected a Mega STE with internal SCSI-Controller and on ACSI-bus a SCSI-HDD together with "The Link".
Everything worked fine for several years.

Then I had to exchchange the MegaSTE. It has a little different internal SCSI-adaptor.
Now "The Link" and the external HDD, which is conntected to it, is no longer detected while booting, but works if the external
HDD is switched on a frew seconds after the MegaSTE is switched on.

I sloved the problem by building a timer in the external SCSI HDD case a few days ago.
The timer generate a delay of ca. 7 sec.
Now everything works fine, because the whole setup is switched on via one main switch for all sets.

I don`t know if this information helps you, but maybe useful for other users with 2 SCSI-adapters on the ACSI-bus.
Regards

Popsel

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:44 pm

Hi Jookie,

as we discussed this matter in email, I didn't realize how I was testing SatanDisk -- I thought it was in my TT030 + SCSI + external SatanDisk but now I realize MegaSTE works in the same way! I.e. I've had internal ACSI->SCSI-2 (Link96) and external ACSI with SatanDisk connected. And it didn't work very well, it was quite unstable. On the other hand, I remember having connected Atari SLM laser printer (via external ACSI) and using internal Link96 MegaSTE all along.

So answer to your question is yes, you have to make it compatible with existing ACSI/SCSI solutions ;-)

P.S. Since you own MegaSTE I think I could lend you my internal Link96 for testing purposes...

karlm
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby karlm » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:47 am

Jookie - while we're off topic about UltraSatan, why not call it Perkele (Finnish [suomi]) for great grandfather of Satan?

I'm sure the Finns will wack me for this one :)

karlm.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”