ALPS floppy question

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

whyatmyage
Atari User
Atari User

ALPS floppy question

Postby whyatmyage » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:06 pm

I am trying to see if my ALPS DF354 floppy is suitable for the ST (mine is STF early TOS I reckon). ALPS specs says it will do 1MB storage which I take to be something less than 1MB -> 720kb

The drive has jumpers for drive 0 and 1. So I did the necessary, linked drive 0 and o/c drive 1 (it came off a PC).

Bit of an update: the drive also has jumpers marked DNS (o/c), hidden away are jumpers MS1 (o/c) and MS2 (s/c).

What currently happens is I can read some disks and files but not others.

Also what's this about the drive's cable needing to be reversed?? The drive has pin 2 marked (and pin 3 missing) so I have connected it up to the ST accordingly, that is red stripe on the ribbon cable to pins 1/2 end (centre of floppy drive).

Am I doing this correctly??
Last edited by whyatmyage on Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

teh3pwner
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby teh3pwner » Wed Jan 16, 2008 4:27 pm

try turning the cable the other way i remember i had some issues with an alps drive but then i turned the cble arounf and it worked :lol: :lol: :lol:

ppera

Re: ALPS floppy question

Postby ppera » Wed Jan 16, 2008 5:27 pm

whyatmyage wrote:I am trying to see if my ALPS DF354 floppy is suitable for the ST (mine is STF early TOS I reckon). ALPS specs says it will do 1MB storage which I take to be something less than 1MB -> 720kb...

1MB is full capacity, counting whole tracks, not sectorwise. It is regular DD capacity.
Try jumper in both pos. and will see.... If cable is inserted reversed, floppy activity LED must light constantly.

whyatmyage
Atari User
Atari User

Re: ALPS floppy question - sorted!!

Postby whyatmyage » Fri Jan 18, 2008 1:02 pm

I've got it to work, here is what I needed to do.

Modifications to ALPS DF354 N120F (modern PC floppy drive) to work with Atari STF. Remove bottom cover to expose this circuit board, then make the following changes:-

1. o/c DS1, s/c DS0 - drive select

2. o/c NO1, next to pin 1

3. Make link between pin 2 and Gnd - density select

4. Make link between MIS (core 4 on the white ribbon cable) and pin 1 of the disk connector. - media change

Replace bottom cover.

This is a good drive to use as:-

i. Cable connector notch is correct - red line to motor.
ii. Mounting screws align correctly.
iii. Ribbon can be folded to give the drive being the correct way up and flush with case edge.
iiii. Power leads are long enough.

This drive with these modifications also works with the disk refresh signal, ESC etc.

Finally, the aperture in the ST’s plastic case will need enlarging to accommodate.

This worked for me! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Robofruit
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Robofruit » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:02 pm

This is just what I needed, I have an old Alps floppy so going to give this a go. Many thanks!
Last edited by Robofruit on Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

Robofruit
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Robofruit » Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:22 pm

I appreciate this is an old thread but could you just explain the o/c and s/c parts? Sorry if this is a really dB question but the picture is a but blurry near the solder points.

Thanks so much advance.

Robofruit
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Robofruit » Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:41 am

Sorted ! I worked out what it meant, un-solder and solder doh!

I now have a working ST ! So thankful for the mod, awesome! :D

aogorek
Atarian
Atarian

Postby aogorek » Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:54 pm

I have ALPS DF354H090F which works well before mod in my old PC, but after doing mod (floppy's PCB looks exactly same as on Your photo)
I cannot read or format any 2DD disc.
I have 1040STFM.
Nothing else should be done? Im trying with oryginal ribbon cable. Is this OK?

rcamp48
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby rcamp48 » Sun Oct 21, 2018 4:10 am

I have an ALPS DF354H090F drive that I am about to modify, did you ever get your working? I also have a Mitsumi D35926 am going to modify it too... also an ALPS DF354H022F the Ho90F is made in Malasia, the other ALPS is made in China, Mitsumi drive is dated May 19th, 1998.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”