I know it's a very old topic but this problem recently came across to me too. And posting one possible solution here. First I thought it's the exact STE that landed at my place because of the same mod (only my cross wire is green but missed that when first looked) and same kind of issue, wrong filenames read. My suspect immediately was the WD1772 and DMA (data between them). Socketed the DMA, WD1772, 7406, swapped them to known good ones as well. During the replacement I found some corroded joints that I had to repair as well. Checked the FDD cable just in case but this problem happened with external drive too.
The problem in my case was D4 data line short to GND at the DMA pins. I removed the mod but as suspected it has no effect on behaviour. So check the data lines between the 74245/wd1772 and DMA and their resistance towards GND and Vcc.
Wrong names (P = @)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.