520STFM restoration help

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

acbc2k
Atarian
Atarian

520STFM restoration help

Postby acbc2k » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:22 am

Greetings from Malaysia.

A couple of months ago, I found my old 520STFM and MegaFile 60 from the store room. This unit has been with me since 1989.

There are couple of hardware missing or damage namely,

1. Mouse
2. Joystick
3. Monitor
4. Floppy

I want to restore it back to perfect working order and also to modernise it for 2018.

Where do I start? From the forum, it seems I will need the following:

1. USB Mouse Adapter for ATARI (SmallyMouse2)
2. Forget Me Clock 2 (Y2K)
3. MCSWITCH (ATARI Monochrome & Color to VGA ADAPTOR)

I appreciate some help in restoring it back.

Thanks.

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: 520STFM restoration help

Postby Atari74user » Wed Sep 12, 2018 8:09 pm

Hi, ooooh there could be many things here:

1. Mouse, could be a few variants if you want USB: SmallyMouse2, JerryUSB Mouse. There are some nice SmallyMouse2 variants.
2. FMC II, yeah always handy, used original or new variants.
3. There are various VGA adaptors, I think the current best of the bunch is the UBE Switch and variants of the same such as the MCSWITCH. I chose both.
4. Again numerous variants here. If you are into gaming then maybe a CosmosEx, perhaps a Gotek, if not gaming or as alternatives, many people tend to go for an UltraSatan SD, for me personally I prefer the GigaFile simply because of design, beautiful build if you use it in the right way and don't stick it straight into the ACSI port, and has a smaller footprint. Or the UnicornUSB which would solve many of your restoration quandaries as essentially it creates a USB port for your Atari. Off that you can connect a USB hub where you can connect a USB stick, USB CD-ROM, USB mouse... to take full advantage of the drivers.

Hope that is some food for thought. Do a bit of a google on the above pre-fixing with Atari, that will soon you get you to the right place.
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

acbc2k
Atarian
Atarian

Re: 520STFM restoration help

Postby acbc2k » Fri Sep 14, 2018 6:02 am

Some pics.

Megafile 60
Atari 520 STFM

https://photos.app.goo.gl/DsoaaYUFkgZWhpJx7

Made some mods during my early days as a hobbyist.

1. Composite Out
2. Audio Out

The mods were quite crude. Will need to open up and check during the restoration. Right now, I need a VGA and mouse adapter. Both original SC1224 monitor and mouse damaged during storage process and beyond salvage.

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”