My new, compact Atari -> VGA adapter.

Troubles with your machine? Just want to speak about the latest improvements? This is the place!

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, spiny, Greenious, Moderator Team

LevelFT
Atariator
Atariator

Re: My new, compact Atari -> VGA adapter.

Postby LevelFT » Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:53 pm

LevelFT wrote:
ube wrote:Nah. Wating for a new revision. Ought to turn up next week. And after that one has been confirmed it’s another week for ordering a full batch plus components.

I'll wait patiently.....I'll order one as soon as they are available :)

Any news Ube ? :D

ube
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby ube » Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:16 pm

Yep. Got the PCBs on Friday. Spent a few hours assembling 25 boards, ran out of solder paste. So production is stopped until Wednesday when I get more paste. Good news is that I had 0% failure rate on this batch, down from 10-15%.
Atari STE w/ MicroCosmosex | Atari Falcon w/ Skunk| ubeswitch mk1 | ubeswitch mk2 | ubeswitch mk4 | ubeswitch mk5 | ubeswitch mk6 | ubeswitch mk6 v1.1b

rcamp48
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby rcamp48 » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:59 am

OK am interested in one when you have it available...... Russ

Lando_C
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Lando_C » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:43 pm

Argh. The Ubeswitch mark V is incompatible with using an external floppy on the mega.. too narrow spacing between contacts. Any suggestions?
UK 1040 STF, SE kbd, SE tos 1.04, gotekHxC+floppy B internally, ATX psu on the side
DE Mega 1
SE Mega 2, no keyboard
SE Mega ST 4
Megafile 20 with 2 MFM drive mechanisms (80+20 meg) in hacked case, ATX psu on the side
Megafile 30
Megafile 60
SM124, SM125, finlux 19 inch TV RGBscart
PC Intel i5 8G ram many disks
5xRaspberry pi

Almerian
Atarian
Atarian

Postby Almerian » Thu Mar 15, 2018 10:55 pm

Lando_C wrote:Argh. The Ubeswitch mark V is incompatible with using an external floppy on the mega.. too narrow spacing between contacts. Any suggestions?

Perhaps a short video extension cable 13 pin male to 13 pin female?

Lando_C
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Lando_C » Fri Mar 16, 2018 7:42 pm

Good suggestion, but those are rare...
UK 1040 STF, SE kbd, SE tos 1.04, gotekHxC+floppy B internally, ATX psu on the side
DE Mega 1
SE Mega 2, no keyboard
SE Mega ST 4
Megafile 20 with 2 MFM drive mechanisms (80+20 meg) in hacked case, ATX psu on the side
Megafile 30
Megafile 60
5xRaspberry pi

ube

Postby ube » Sat Mar 17, 2018 11:04 pm

Lando_C wrote:Argh. The Ubeswitch mark V is incompatible with using an external floppy on the mega.. too narrow spacing between contacts. Any suggestions?

Good thing I’ve fiddled with a Mega version then. :) Can probably make one for you as well, just need to order PCBs.
Atari STE w/ MicroCosmosex | Atari Falcon w/ Skunk| ubeswitch mk1 | ubeswitch mk2 | ubeswitch mk4 | ubeswitch mk5 | ubeswitch mk6 | ubeswitch mk6 v1.1b

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:05 pm

Hey, so I have one of the earlier versions of this adapter, but it has an amazing picture, especially compared to the Best Electronics cable.

https://www.videogameperfection.com/for ... post-20155

That thread went way off topic of my 8bit, but I was able to get ST-High displaying. Do I just have one old enough that it doesn't save if it's Mono/Color? I thought I read somewhere that the newer ones do.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (VBXE, U1MB, Stereo POKEY)
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

ube

Postby ube » Sun Mar 18, 2018 5:52 pm

It should. If you hold the button for +2s it should save the current state as default at power on. It’ll always boot into lowres on reset.

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:02 pm

Thanks! Couldn't remember that. The image quality is amazing for it though. ST-High on a 55" TV is cool too. Though I have a Falcon and TT, so not a lot of use for me on a 1040STe. But for someone else who wants to go down this route, could be nice.
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

ube

Postby ube » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:10 pm

And they’re available for ordering now.

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/#0107

Lando_C
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Lando_C » Sun Mar 18, 2018 10:31 pm

[quote="ube"][quote="Lando_C"]Argh. The Ubeswitch mark V is incompatible with using an external floppy on the mega.. too narrow spacing between contacts. Any suggestions?[/quote]

Good thing I’ve fiddled with a Mega version then. :) Can probably make one for you as well, just need to order PCBs.[/quote]

Lovely! I'll get on tuch on facebook again (retrodatorgruppen)
DE Mega 1
SE Mega 2, no keyboard
SE Mega ST 4
Megafile 30
Megafile 60
5xRaspberry pi

LevelFT
Atariator
Atariator

Postby LevelFT » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:13 am

Yesssss finally available :)

Quick question 1: does anybody have a nice case design that I can't 3D print ?
Quick question 2: since it doesn't fit the Mega ST, will it fit on the Mega STE ?

As an alternative I might try to hack this inside of my Mega STE....anyone ever done that ?

LevelFT
Atariator
Atariator

Postby LevelFT » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:40 am

I'm thinking more and more about putting it inside my MSTE. I think it would be easy enough to put it on the spot where the RS-232 connector on the VME position is now. Who needs three RS-232s ?

The "only" thing to do is wire all monitor connector signals from the PCB to the VGA adapter........mmmm

LevelFT
Atariator
Atariator

Postby LevelFT » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:55 pm

ube wrote:And they’re available for ordering now.

https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/storenew/#0107

Would you have one with the DIN connector not installed ?

Probably not....LOL

LevelFT
Atariator
Atariator

Postby LevelFT » Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:38 pm

Ordered one...

mightydimo
Atarian
Atarian

Postby mightydimo » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Would this work for full colour on an Atari 1040 STf?

leech
Atari God
Atari God

Postby leech » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:28 am

mightydimo wrote:Would this work for full colour on an Atari 1040 STf?

Yes. You need a monitor that can handle 15khz VGA.

LevelFT
Atariator
Atariator

Postby LevelFT » Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:20 am

Well I've been using it for a while now and Im happy with it but it's not perfect.

First of all, there is no manual. I can't understand why sellers cannot make a small manual on paper and include it with the product.

Second, the button is extremely small and doesn't provide a clear feedback to the finger (there is no real click that you can hear or feel) so I have no idea wether I pressed it right or not. Remember that this thing is on the back of the Mega STE which is hard to reach a small it is.....The function of the button also does not seem to work.

However, there is not often need to switch, games usually boot up in hires and then later switch to color fine. Not all, but most work this way. Sometimes a simple reboot helps.

A second issue, and this is a big one, is that there is a LOT of reflections on the screen. It really hurts the picture quality. It seems like the incorrect impedance was used ?

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:11 pm

Are you comparing to another RGB output cable? The STE is famed for the ringing (dark shadows to the right of high contrast edges). That fix has to be done in the computer.

LevelFT
Atariator
Atariator

Postby LevelFT » Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:54 pm

I can't really compare, all I can compare to is a regular ST to SCART cable on a B&O MX4000 CRT TV which shows no or little of this issue.

But it could well be a problem of the Mega STE itself that only shows up with an LCD monitor.of course, do you have a link or other info to solve this ?

troed
Atari God
Atari God

Postby troed » Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:54 pm

Does the SCART cable use RGB or composite? If RGB you should indeed see it on the CRT TV as well.

Here are some images on how it looks, and the fix: https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/atari/last/ ... /index.htm

LevelFT
Atariator
Atariator

Postby LevelFT » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:54 pm

Yes my SCART cable is RGB too.

Thanks for the link !

ube

Postby ube » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:08 am

LevelFT wrote:Well I've been using it for a while now and Im happy with it but it's not perfect.

:(

LevelFT wrote:First of all, there is no manual. I can't understand why sellers cannot make a small manual on paper and include it with the product.

Well, there is. It's linked from the store. Paper is sooo 90's and who wants to go back to.. oh wait. :)
https://www.exxoshost.co.uk/forum/viewt ... f=27&t=161

LevelFT wrote:Second, the button is extremely small and doesn't provide a clear feedback to the finger (there is no real click that you can hear or feel) so I have no idea wether I pressed it right or not. Remember that this thing is on the back of the Mega STE which is hard to reach a small it is.....The function of the button also does not seem to work.

There is a pin header under the button so you can add an external button, just for MST(E)s. I realise that it's not included in the manual, however it says ext. button on the board. Unless you've got the first version.. If so, I'll trade you that one for a new one. Mega users should have that function. PM ME

LevelFT wrote:However, there is not often need to switch, games usually boot up in hires and then later switch to color fine. Not all, but most work this way. Sometimes a simple reboot helps.

That could indicate your PSU needs a recap. Pressing reset will always bring you into low res since there is no (certain, due to old PSUs and such) way to detect if there's been a reset. Cold boot will bring you to saved state, I usually keep the saved state as hires since a reset will bring me back to lowres.

LevelFT wrote:A second issue, and this is a big one, is that there is a LOT of reflections on the screen. It really hurts the picture quality. It seems like the incorrect impedance was used ?

Reflections? How? Could I see a picture? There's no trickery done to the signal from the switch (apart from the 6ohms added by the multiplexer).

Social Media

Return to “Hardware”