Email clients for Mint

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Email clients for Mint

Postby EmpireAndrew » Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:02 am

I want to find an email client for my TT...

I recall hearing about Troll(?), MJM and Newsie.

Are there any others to consider?
I run my own server so I’m not concerned about gmail compatibility etc...
1977 VCS Heavy Sixxer (Boxed)
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/64MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 8GB HDD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor
Amiga, Mac, DOS, SGI, Sun, NeXTStation, PDA's and more!

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Email clients for Mint

Postby vido » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:42 am

I would recoment Troll.
But back in days I really liked Amail.

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:43 am

I remember using Emailer by ASH.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:58 am

AFAIK ASH Emailer only works under MagiC. For MiNT I would recommend Troll. There is also MyMail, aMail, Draconis mail, MJM and Newsie, but IMO Troll is so far the best.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:10 am

Thanks everyone!
There are more than googling and a forum search suggested...
Should keep me busy the next couple of days!
1990 Atari 1040STE, 4MB, UltraSatan, TOS 2.06, TT Touch -> Atari SC1435 Colour CRT Monitor
1991 Atari TT030, 2/64MB, Int 8GB Gigafile SCSI2CF, TOS 3.06, CaTTamaran Accelerator -> Atari TTM195 19" Mono CRT Monitor
1993 Atari Falcon030, 14MB, Int 8GB HDD, TOS 4.04 -> Atari PTC1426 Color CRT Monitor

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:54 pm

aMail: http://www.atack.cz/atari/
Troll: https://ptonthat.fr/troll/
MyMail: http://erha.se/~erikhall/programs/mymail.html
MJM: http://atari.net.pl/mjm-en/

Newsie should be avoided: it deletes some of its own files if bug.

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:46 pm

8O

Ektus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Ektus » Tue Apr 30, 2019 7:57 pm

There's also CAT together with IN2CAT. Doesn't support encryption, but then there's only Troll with that feature.

http://www.dimitri-junker.de/html/body_cat_de.html (scroll down for download section)
Schneider CPC464 (long retired), Atari Mega ST4 (retired), Falcon+CT2A, Falcon+CT63+CTPCI+Radeon 9250, Milan040+SCSI+Rage

Playmobil
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Playmobil » Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:04 pm

The best one is from Rajah : TROLL !!!

emcclariion
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby emcclariion » Wed May 01, 2019 8:54 am

Have tried them all, but Troll is the best

saying that MJM works fine, has issues with large files
Atari TT Nova card Mach64, Lightning VME, 64MB of RAM, Mega STE 4MB, Nova mach 32 and Atari STE 4MB TOS 2.06 Netusb Ultrasatan 2, Atari Falcon CT60 512MB Netusb

PeterS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby PeterS » Wed May 01, 2019 10:37 am

I tried Troll but found the U-Ex a bit unusual so I have stuck with MyMail. I asked Erik if he could open source the code but I think he is too busy to get around to it.

MyMail has couple of minor bugs.

1. reply or forward to multiple recipients adds a blank line to the header which confuses mail clients.
2. some actions cause it to check disc space on the app folder instead of the mail folder so it can think it is out of space and vice versa.

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Wed May 01, 2019 11:06 pm

Testing so far:

amail - Whenever I try and send/receive the ASOCK process gets killed for a memory violation of type "free", followed by AMAIL itself for a memory violation of type "private".

MyMail - Whenever I tryan dchekc for new mail it tells me there is one, I can see info about if it I choose "details" but when I tell it download it it doesn't. (the progress bar dialog appears but never fills or anything). Other activities randomly result in XaAES throwiong a Bus Error. Sometimes the machine freezes completely at this point, but most times not.

MJM - I really like the clean interface (although the name and leaf logo is a bit :rolleyes:) and receiving mail works great. It never sends though (see other thread).

Troll - Works perfectly, at least in initial testing (sending and receiving). I don't like the interface, the folder list is a huge waste of precious real estate on a 640x480 screen, and the remote and local inbox is a bit weird. But it installed without hassle (I place value on that) and it does work (I place even greater value on that!).

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Thu May 02, 2019 9:35 am

EmpireAndrew wrote:the folder list is a huge waste of precious real estate on a 640x480 screen,

See in the preferences
- display options: disable icons in the folder window,
- select fonts: the archive provides small and elegant ones,
- window layout: folder + headers windows (shadow of email content window, opened when needed).

EmpireAndrew wrote:and the remote and local inbox is a bit weird.

for POP3 protocol, it's convenient to look inside remote INBOX to delete spam, before downloading all emails into local INBOX. If I remember correctly, there is an option in the miscellaneous preferences to download all from remote INBOX automaticaly, so you don't have to think about it anymore.
If you are disturbed by this remote box, then choose IMAP4 protocol.

EmpireAndrew
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby EmpireAndrew » Thu May 02, 2019 12:08 pm

Rajah Lone wrote:
EmpireAndrew wrote:the folder list is a huge waste of precious real estate on a 640x480 screen,

See in the preferences
- display options: disable icons in the folder window,
- select fonts: the archive provides small and elegant ones,
- window layout: folder + headers windows (shadow of email content window, opened when needed).

I didn’t see the disable icons option the first time, I like having them but I can’t afford the real estate so thanks for that tip.
I had already set the font to 8 point Arial for everything.
As for the layout, I kept the message window at the bottom, otherwise the folder list wastes a whole column anyway. I’m happy with it now.

EmpireAndrew wrote:and the remote and local inbox is a bit weird.

for POP3 protocol, it's convenient to look inside remote INBOX to delete spam, before downloading all emails into local INBOX. If I remember correctly, there is an option in the miscellaneous preferences to download all from remote INBOX automaticaly, so you don't have to think about it anymore.
If you are disturbed by this remote box, then choose IMAP4 protocol.

I tried IMAP4 first, but my server threw up on the version of maybe the STARTLS being too low, I don’t remember. I’ll take another look...

I saved a lot of space by removing most of the fields in the message list window, but I do have two questions on that:

1. I had to remove the “size” column as it was taking up too much space. Even when I shrink it down it seems there is a minimum size for it as if I try and shrink it too far the text is clipped off the right hand side of the column... this doesn’t happen on the other fields, only size. For example I can shrink the date field down as short as I’d like.

2. There is a permanent horizontal scroll bar in the message list window no matter whether I ensure all the fields are bunched up on the left to just fill (but not exceed) the window or all the way on the right (which is how I have it now) with a vast amount of unused horizontally scrollable space. It feels like a bug as it’s not normal window UI behavior?

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Fri May 03, 2019 9:31 am

EmpireAndrew wrote:2. There is a permanent horizontal scroll bar in the message list window no matter whether I ensure all the fields are bunched up on the left to just fill (but not exceed) the window or all the way on the right (which is how I have it now) with a vast amount of unused horizontally scrollable space. It feels like a bug as it’s not normal window UI behavior?

There is no mecanism to detect if the horizontal scroll bar in the headers window is needed or not. I assume it is always needed because:
- if the screen is small, scrolling may be necessary.
- if the screen is large, you don't have to bother.
- if you set on or off a window gadget, you have to close and renew the window, which is very annoying for users.
- when screen is small, I prefer to use MagiC instead of the MiNT, partly because MiNT's AES uses larger window gadgets. See in XaAES if you can customize your windows and avoid official MyAES widgets.

I still advise you to use the display layout folders + headers windows (and message window opened only if needed). Then use the "Tidy up" in the menu for easy windows repositionning.

emcclariion
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby emcclariion » Sat May 04, 2019 5:13 pm

Rajah,

I have a issue on troll, when on the remote box, I want to control A all the emails, which works as it highlights them all, then I click delete and it only deletes one...having to select each one is grinding my gears?
Atari TT Nova card Mach64, Lightning VME, 64MB of RAM, Mega STE 4MB, Nova mach 32 and Atari STE 4MB TOS 2.06 Netusb Ultrasatan 2, Atari Falcon CT60 512MB Netusb

Social Media

Return to “Applications”