Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

JeanMars
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: VISION 4.1a is out!

Postby JeanMars » Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:55 pm

Hi vido,

yes but that would require:
- Compile VISION for ColdFire (move to AHCC, might not be easy)
- Add LDG feature to VISION for laoding/saving images (did not look but might be not straight forward)

I don't know how many ColdFire are on the field but compared to Aranym/Magic on PC, I would bet ColdFire does not win :-)

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:21 pm

JeanMars wrote:yes but that would require:
- Compile VISION for ColdFire (move to AHCC, might not be easy)
- Add LDG feature to VISION for laoding/saving images (did not look but might be not straight forward)

I don't know how many ColdFire are on the field but compared to Aranym/Magic on PC, I would bet ColdFire does not win :-)

Hi Jean,

As VISION works on the FireBee just adding LDG feature to VISION would help a lot as LDG modules would run natively and VISION would get all images format import supported by LDG modules.

There is more FireBees out there. I dont know exact number, but its greater than that :)
And it still can be produced by anyone :)

Vido

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:34 pm

I maked some zView load modules. Complete list here: http://atari.gfabasic.net/stg/zcodecs.htm I ended up writing these for zView because I found GemView scheme harder to implement and all the docs are German.

However, the scheme isn't perfect. The load modules can't report back what went wrong (like a read error) or why a file was rejected (like an invalid header). If two different formats use the same file extension zView sends it to the first module that supports that file extension. I don't think zorro put enough thought into it. It is what it is. ;)

PeterS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby PeterS » Sun Sep 23, 2018 2:43 pm

I have tried Vision before on the Milan with Minat/XaAES and it had issues. I just tried the new release.

1. The infill painting doesn't work, it just adds a single pixel horizontal line.
2. The button is dialogue boxes are a bit slow to respond, requiring a press and hold to get them to work.

JeanMars
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby JeanMars » Sun Sep 23, 2018 6:55 pm

Hi Peter,

for infill, I think it is a limitation of the v_contourfill API which may even crash on some VDI because of last parameter set to -1
For button slow to respond, I did not see a difference with other applications; could you elaborate?

JeanMars
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby JeanMars » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:04 pm

@lp/vido: is there a description for such ldg usable by zview?
BTW unless a 680x0 application can load a ColdFire ldg, there is no interest to have this; and compiling VISION for ColdFire may be complicated especially because of the pure 680x0 routines I don't want to port to 'C'.

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:11 pm

JeanMars wrote:@lp/vido: is there a description for such ldg usable by zview?
BTW unless a 680x0 application can load a ColdFire ldg, there is no interest to have this; and compiling VISION for ColdFire may be complicated especially because of the pure 680x0 routines I don't want to port to 'C'.

I am sure 68k application can load Coldfire LDG. If 68k application runs on Coldfire it is actually Coldfire application with some emulated instructions.
With Coldfire compiled LDG it is just less emulated instructions.

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Mon Sep 24, 2018 1:17 am

JeanMars wrote:@lp/vido: is there a description for such ldg usable by zview?

https://sourceforge.net/p/z-tools/code/ ... zcodeclib/

There must be some confusion yet. LDG itself comes in both flavors. zView codecs are also built for both. The end user simply installs 68k or coldfire stuff depending on their needs.

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:27 am

lp wrote:There must be some confusion yet. LDG itself comes in both flavors. zView codecs are also built for both. The end user simply installs 68k or coldfire stuff depending on their needs.

I think he asks if VISIOn has to be Coldfire compiled to run Coldfire LDGs?
And I believe if 68k version of the VISION runs on the FireBee it can use Coldfire compiled LDGs.

JeanMars
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby JeanMars » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:25 pm

Hi,

Yes that was my question because in zview the CF version of app calls the CF version of ldg i believe.
BTW, i'll have a look at zview plugin integration to estimate the workload.

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:30 pm

JeanMars wrote:Yes that was my question because in zview the CF version of app calls the CF version of ldg i believe.
BTW, i'll have a look at zview plugin integration to estimate the workload.

Not exactly. I use Coldfire compiled Zview abut I use Coldfire and 68k compiled LDGs.
Lonnys LDGs are only 68k version and I use them with Coldfire Zview.
And it can be also the other way arround (on the FirBee).

Great! I hope you will find it easy to integrate!

Vido

PeterS
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby PeterS » Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:39 pm

JeanMars wrote:Hi Peter,

for infill, I think it is a limitation of the v_contourfill API which may even crash on some VDI because of last parameter set to -1
For button slow to respond, I did not see a difference with other applications; could you elaborate?

If I click on a Button (OK) as I normally would, nothing happens.

If I click and hold for 2-3 seconds then the Button operates.

I will test it again to make sure it was not some glitch. I had just run Vision 4.0 so that may not have helped.

JeanMars
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby JeanMars » Mon Sep 24, 2018 7:11 pm

@vido: looks like zview is pretty similar to VISION regarding image design; the big difference is that a ldg loads an image line per line, which should not be too complicated to handle from VISION.
Just a question of time to find, I have already a consequent backlog but will look deeply into this in the coming weeks.

vido
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby vido » Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:50 am

Hi Jean,

that sounds great and I am eagerly waiting new version of VISION :)
I believe that will really make VISIOn more usefull on the FireBee :)

Thanks,
Vido

Social Media

Return to “Applications”