Devpac File Selector Bug in TOS 1.00

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

mlynn1974
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Devpac File Selector Bug in TOS 1.00

Postby mlynn1974 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 7:48 pm

For development I use Steem 3.2 (or Steem SSE if I want STE features) with a hard disk mapped to my Windows drive. I like it and I can edit my files in my favourite text editor and assemble them with Devpac. I try to keep all the filenames in the standard 8.3 file name format. Today I found a bug using Devpac 2.09 and 3.1. The name of the file was MOVEP_TEST.S - that's not 8.3 format because I forgot for a moment.

Devpac 2 and 3.1 crashed and burned when the filename was scrolled into view on the file selector.
I have renamed the file to a standard 8.3 and no problems.

This error occurs with TOS 1.00. With TOS 1.02 (UK) and TOS 1.04 (Rainbow TOS) it's OK and it shows the filename as MOVEP_TE.T.S
Trying to open the file however shows TOS Error #33 (File not found).
It also doesn't crash when opening the directory in GEM with TOS 1.00 - just in that file selector.

This has probably been discussed before but I thought I'd flag it up. I wonder how they found and fixed that bug back in the day in newer versions of TOS? MS-DOS didn't have long file names at that time so even that couldn't write a filename that an ST might encounter...
Still got, still working: Atari 4Mb STe, 520STFM, 2.5Mb STF.
Hardware: Cumana CSA 354, Ultimate Ripper, Blitz Turbo, Synchro Express II (US and UK Versions).

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Re: Devpac File Selector Bug in TOS 1.00

Postby charles » Sat Mar 31, 2018 11:32 pm

I don't know what is really happening
if you used a real Atari it would not permit that filename either ..
its too long

to avoid crashing use this format
8 letters + "." + EXT
where EXT = file's extension PRG APP TOS S MID SNG FLV ETCETCETCETC
The radioactive half-life : )
Atari is a lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! ! Im printing unreadable characters ...!

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Sun Apr 01, 2018 3:31 am

mlynn1974 wrote:MS-DOS didn't have long file names at that time so even that couldn't write a filename that an ST might encounter...

I would consider that a bug in Steem's gemdos emulation. None of the plain TOS versions can handle filenames not in the 8.3 format. Maybe newer versions don't crash, but you won't be able to use the long names. Emulators usually get around this by "mangling" the names, similar to what is written as short name on VFAT partitions. If Fsfirst() returns (part of) the long name, that won't work.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Mon Apr 02, 2018 7:02 pm

Effects with long file names (i.e. VFAT directory entries instead of FAT ones) on real disk media range from TOS crash, file system corruption, to just not seeing some of the directory contents.

Unless *all* file names are in 8.3 format, current OSes will create directory entries that can cause these effects, when you use them to copy files from them to Atari media (e.g. floppies).

Social Media

Return to “Applications”