Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Forgotten SW project

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:32 pm

This one, from 2011 just was never published, and missing from this page:
http://atari.8bitchip.info/STEbap.html
I just spotted on it during my recent nightmare discussion with Hatari developers about sound errors in it.

SW is regular format WAV player for STE - WAV format same as audio CD format, so 44100 Hz, 16-bit stereo format audio file, direct playback on Atari STE, without need for some conversion before play.
Of course, it needs conversion, since STE can not 44100 Hz samplerate. And it can be done on-fly, even on slow STE. I thought that it will be not possible, but it is. With little luck - see TXT file in archive.
http://atari.8bitchip.info/TestMe/STEWPL.ZIP - 28 MB, including one song in proper format.
Of course, mass storage is a must. You can try with other WAV files - it's not so easy to find now WAV songs online, most is MP3, but there are ways to convert - AudaCity for instance. Or just use SW for ripping from audio CD.
This is alfa version. In case of interest I can add some GUI and other things. It needs not much RAM, so 512 KB STE is enough.
Peace folks.
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Re: Forgotten SW project

Postby Atarieterno » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:46 pm

Thank you very much for that contribution.

Sorry if the question is inappropriate, but could the ST play the Cubase Audio ".AIF" files?
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:11 pm

As I know, AIF is Steinberg's sample format. I need exact specs of possible parameters with it. So: samplerates, mono/stereo, bit count (usually 8 or 16) .
Would be good to link some good file in that format, so I can examine. Some shorter song for instance.
And of course, playback possible on STE, not ST.

This may be interesting for programmers: http://atari.8bitchip.info/FastCoding.html
Famous Schrodinger's cat hypothetical experiment says that cat is dead or alive until we open box and see condition of poor animal, which deserved better logic. Cat is always in some certain state - regardless from is observer able or not to see what the state is.

Atarieterno
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Atarieterno » Fri Dec 15, 2017 11:29 pm

The AIFF format I think is standard, in the form of three characters as file extension is .AIF for Cubase Audio for Atari.
In Wikipedia they have this information:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audio_Int ... ile_Format
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:38 am

OK, I got what is AIF - basically it is just file format, called container too. In same purpose as WAV in Win. World.
What matters here is not it, but audio sample parameters.
This player can play samples if they are 44100 or 48000 Hz . Stereo. 16-bit little Endian - yes, yes, too limited, I know, but that is with slow machine and alpha SW. The problem is that in case of AIF all is same for audio CD tracks, only endianess is opposite - it is big Endian. And that's not good here - will cause additional speed loss, and then nothing from flawless playback - we are already at very limit on STE.

What is possible ? Playing AIF samples with 8-bit - then no endianess involved. This is what our old STE can. But you can always convert your AIF to something what can work on ST - with parameters suitable. Is it then AIF, WAV, WAE is not that relevant.

MM41
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby MM41 » Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:08 pm

I tried STEWPL on my STE (4mb TOS1.62 Fr) and the sound loop (2 or 3 times) after 1 seconde and whole the playing .
May be my Satandisk is not fast enough ?

Just one request, is it possible to add a pause button for STEBPL0.9 when playlist is read ?

Social Media

Return to “Applications”