A couple abandonware apps

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Re: A couple abandonware apps

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:21 pm

penguin wrote:Archiving software in good quality is easier than archiving print magazines. If you get hold of a copy that is ;) That's the true challenge. I'm still looking for Jim Kent's snake game which was only released on the reader's disk of German ST-Magazin.

Do you know the issue number which had that particular program? I had sent you all the ST-Computer reader disks I had last year, so I assume it wasn't on any of those?

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:23 pm

Thanks for the later version of Overlay!

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:35 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:
Neurotoxic wrote:I think Chagall was a very good application, too. So why not adding it to this list? I've got version 2.0 in german. But I think that wasn't the latest one. Maybe that version 2.11 was the latest one?

I have original disk of Chagall here somewhere. I'll check what version I have. :cheers:

Ooops, my mistake, it is Seurat I have, not Chagall.

penguin
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby penguin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:42 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:
penguin wrote:Archiving software in good quality is easier than archiving print magazines. If you get hold of a copy that is ;) That's the true challenge. I'm still looking for Jim Kent's snake game which was only released on the reader's disk of German ST-Magazin.

Do you know the issue number which had that particular program? I had sent you all the ST-Computer reader disks I had last year, so I assume it wasn't on any of those?

ST-Computer != ST-Magazin. ST-Computer changed its publisher in 1996, the new magazine had little in common with the magazine that was published from 1986 to 1996 - different editor in chief, different authors (like me, hahaha). They didn't receive all the stuff that the previous publisher released in one form or another. What you sent me were the reader disks of the later magazine. Those are not very rare, as these were released during the CD era and publisher falkemedia put those on various CDs. Most of these disks contain just public domain software, often with no relation to the corresponding issue.

The reader disks from the earlier ST-Computer and the ones of ST-Magazin (1987-1993) are a different case. Those were never put on any CD and contained all the listings of the magazine, compiled version and additional data. There are at least three programs where ST-Magazin only printed the program description because the program was too large. These were reader disk exclusives. "Munch" was one of these:

http://stcarchiv.de/stm1988/09/munch

Yes, that's the developer of Cyber Paint!

The cover disk, where the magazine was bundled with a disk, wasn't a popular concept here. Only TOS magazine included one, that's why it's the only of the big four German Atari magazines that's fully archived (print+disk).
AtariUpToDate - Atari ST/TT/Falcon software database and version tracker: http://www.atariuptodate.de
st-computer magazine - http://st-computer.atariuptodate.de/

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:04 pm

penguin wrote:ST-Computer != ST-Magazin. ST-Computer changed its publisher in 1996, the new magazine had little in common with the magazine that was published from 1986 to 1996

Yes, sorry about that. I have to watch my reading comprehension...too much scanning haha. My eyes saw ST-Computer instead of ST-Magazin. :oops:

No English user manual was released for Pixart 4.52, but they included a nice hypertext guide. I converted it to PDF and added it to the download list. :cheers:

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:47 pm

Another former ASH program that is now freeware:

Added Resource Master 3.65 German, Resource Master 4.00 Beta German and Resource Master 3.6x German user guide .

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:53 pm

I think Chagall was a very good application, too. So why not adding it to this list? I've got version 2.0 in german. But I think that wasn't the latest one. Maybe that version 2.11 was the latest one?

You're right - Chagall 2.11 is the last version.if you want I can put on the list:-)

Neurotoxic
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Neurotoxic » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:20 pm

nagual wrote:
I think Chagall was a very good application, too. So why not adding it to this list? I've got version 2.0 in german. But I think that wasn't the latest one. Maybe that version 2.11 was the latest one?

You're right - Chagall 2.11 is the last version.if you want I can put on the list:-)

That would be very nice. :D

I'm just wondering why there were so much picture editing applications for the Atari computers around. Applications like Chagall, Papillon, Pixart, Smurf for bitmap graphics and ArtWorx or Kandinsky for vector graphics were just as well as Adobe Photoshop, I think. And there were much more of such applications for TOS. I just don't know why there were so much around of them. :shrug:
520 ST(M) (TOS 1.02), Falcon030 (16 MHz, 16 MB RAM, CF-Card, MiNT & MyAES), Milan040 (25 MHz, 48 MB RAM, EasyMiNT 1.90), Firebee, PowerMac G5 Late 2005 (2 x 2,3 GHz, Mac OS 10.5), iMac 4K Late 2015 (intel Core i7 4 x 3,3 GHz, Mac OS 10.11.6), IBM XT SFD (640 KB RAM, DR DOS 6.0), Compaq LTE 5300 (Pentium/133 MHz, DR-DOS 7.03), AT-PC (Cyrix 6x86L/200 MHz, Windows 98 SE/MS-DOS 6.22 & Windows 3.11)

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:34 pm

nagual wrote:Yeah, you're right...but I know that somewhere on my disk is Ease 5 english manual, or at least I'm pretty sure:-)

Anyway, I check my disc tomorrow :D

I was looking through my manuals and found the Ease 5 update page in English. It's actually just a double-sided page that goes with the Ease 4 manual and describes the changes in Ease 5.

So if you can't find the full one (if they made it), then we can use the Ease 4 manual and Ease 5 update page to have the documentation for Ease 5.

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:57 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:
nagual wrote:Yeah, you're right...but I know that somewhere on my disk is Ease 5 english manual, or at least I'm pretty sure:-)

Anyway, I check my disc tomorrow :D

I was looking through my manuals and found the Ease 5 update page in English. It's actually just a double-sided page that goes with the Ease 4 manual and describes the changes in Ease 5.

So if you can't find the full one (if they made it), then we can use the Ease 4 manual and Ease 5 update page to have the documentation for Ease 5.

Sure we can, sounds like very good idea:-)
I was just spoken with my buddy, big Atari fan, and he told me that Ease 5 english manual was released, but he newer saw just one in any form...
Some urban legend, or just lack of interest from Ease 5 publisher (ASH if I'm right...)
Also, he told me that exist some early beta of Ease 6 (sic!), but he don't know too much details - maybe it's development of Ease stopped because of Jinnee ?
As far I know, Jinnee source was lost, some kind of disk crash ?
What's about Ease, what's the status ?

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:05 pm

Neurotoxic wrote:
nagual wrote:

I'm just wondering why there were so much picture editing applications for the Atari computers around. Applications like Chagall, Papillon, Pixart, Smurf for bitmap graphics and ArtWorx or Kandinsky for vector graphics were just as well as Adobe Photoshop, I think. And there were much more of such applications for TOS. I just don't know why there were so much around of them. :shrug:

So, my friend, here's the Chagall 2.11 Farb version.
Enjoy:-)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:34 pm

nagual wrote:Sure we can, sounds like very good idea:-)
I was just spoken with my buddy, big Atari fan, and he told me that Ease 5 english manual was released, but he newer saw just one in any form...
Some urban legend, or just lack of interest from Ease 5 publisher (ASH if I'm right...)
Also, he told me that exist some early beta of Ease 6 (sic!), but he don't know too much details - maybe it's development of Ease stopped because of Jinnee ?
As far I know, Jinnee source was lost, some kind of disk crash ?
What's about Ease, what's the status ?

Thanks that's good information! :cheers:

Since I'm trying to put up full install disks where possible, I changed the link for Ease 4 English from fatrakoon's to the retail disk with serial.

nagual wrote:So, my friend, here's the Chagall 2.11 Farb version.

Thanks! :cheers:

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:57 pm

Since I'm trying to put up full install disks where possible, I changed the link for Ease 4 English from fatrakoon's to the retail disk with serial.

Thanks a lot my friend :-)
Let's have a bier, your thread was really successful and motivated, it was so many attention from fellow Atarians, nice, nice work :-)

And without you and your thread I will never realized software from my collection to community, but I realized that a lot of software I have it's actually abandonware, so, why not :D

Regent Base is....don't have enough good words....remember...I owe you sooooo much :D

And now, look at this thread....cheers ! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Neurotoxic
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Neurotoxic » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:11 pm

nagual wrote:So, my friend, here's the Chagall 2.11 Farb version.

Thank you very much! 8)
520 ST(M) (TOS 1.02), Falcon030 (16 MHz, 16 MB RAM, CF-Card, MiNT & MyAES), Milan040 (25 MHz, 48 MB RAM, EasyMiNT 1.90), Firebee, PowerMac G5 Late 2005 (2 x 2,3 GHz, Mac OS 10.5), iMac 4K Late 2015 (intel Core i7 4 x 3,3 GHz, Mac OS 10.11.6), IBM XT SFD (640 KB RAM, DR DOS 6.0), Compaq LTE 5300 (Pentium/133 MHz, DR-DOS 7.03), AT-PC (Cyrix 6x86L/200 MHz, Windows 98 SE/MS-DOS 6.22 & Windows 3.11)

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Sun Oct 01, 2017 10:13 pm

You welcome :-)

penguin

Postby penguin » Sun Oct 01, 2017 11:29 pm

Neurotoxic wrote:
nagual wrote:

Couple of reasons really. First, a basic paint program is easy to code (there was in fact a book explaining how to write a paint program in GFA). Most of the early ones only worked in either low or high res, some worked in both. Some where highly specialized tools e.g. to work with Signum or offer enhanced colors like Spectrum 512.

Programs like Chagall were geared towards the professional market with support for graphic cards and true color images even if the ST didn't offer enough colours. Chagall and applications like Retouche were often used together with DTP programs. Before Chagall and other programs appeared, graphic cards were often released with their own paint program.

Papillon, PixArt and True Paint belong to the last wave of painting programs when higher res and more colours finally were affordable to more customers. I remember that PixArt's main selling point was support for Wacom graphic tablets.

If the EST would've been released in 1987 as planned, the shift to programs like Chagall or PixArt would've happened sooner I guess.
AtariUpToDate - Atari ST/TT/Falcon software database and version tracker: http://www.atariuptodate.de
st-computer magazine - http://st-computer.atariuptodate.de/

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:00 am

I took down the links for Resource Master but left the guide up.

I didn't realize Armin Diedering still had it up for sale.

*Edit* His homepage update from 2008 says it is freeware. I've emailed him to see what the status is.

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Mon Oct 02, 2017 7:40 am

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:I took down the links for Resource Master but left the guide up.

I didn't realize Armin Diedering still had it up for sale.

*Edit* His homepage update from 2008 says it is freeware. I've emailed him to see what the status is.

As far as I know, Resource Master from version 3.60 is freeware...

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:06 pm

Yep, thanks, ardi confirmed it is freeware!

Resource Master links back up! :cheers:

Added English version of Pixart 4.52.

Playmobil
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Playmobil » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:03 pm

I have an English version of RSM365 if you need...

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:06 pm

Playmobil wrote:I have an English version of RSM365 if you need...

Awesome! Yes, please. :cheers:

*Edit* Added Pixart 4.52 user guide German.

Playmobil
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby Playmobil » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:30 pm

Here the files, including English docs in HYP format...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Mon Oct 02, 2017 3:48 pm

Thanks added it to the list. English user guide to follow...

gstoll
Atari freak
Atari freak

RSM 3.65 docu and resource file

Postby gstoll » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:01 pm

Your docu is from the version 3.2.

You can found english version from some programs, also RSM here:
http://www.cheshuntcomputerclub.co.uk/index.php/downloads/ddp-translations

I send Armin 2014 a english doku and resource for RSM 3.65. Peter A. West helps me with them. The resource also includes a partial french version.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Re: RSM 3.65 docu and resource file

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:31 pm

gstoll wrote:

Your docu is from the version 3.2.

You can found english version from some programs, also RSM here:
http://www.cheshuntcomputerclub.co.uk/index.php/downloads/ddp-translations

I send Armin 2014 a english doku and resource for RSM 3.65. Peter A. West helps me with them. The resource also includes a partial french version.

Hmm, I looked at the hypertext and on the History page it goes up to 3.64. I'll ask Armin if he has a newer one.

Btw, the German hypertext only has History until 3.63. Same with the German hypertext for 4.00 Beta (only shows History up to 3.63). Is there a newer one?

Added English user guide for ResourceMaster 3.6x (pending verification of latest version)

Social Media

Return to “Applications”