Regent Base 1 and 2

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

atarian90
Atariator
Atariator

Re: Regent Base 1 and 2

Postby atarian90 » Mon Oct 02, 2017 6:37 am

Maartau wrote:I didn't know at all this product until now :) .

Once again, thanks for the job 8) .

:D

The Regent Software products were more popular here in the US since it was an American company. I remember it being popular with user groups keeping track of their membership rosters. They were one of the early supporters of the ST having done software for the Atari 8-bits too.

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:34 am

Well, after some investigating Regent Base 2 here's some preliminary results, some is not good :(

1. Regent Base 2 seems like not Y2K compliant - on a form for setup date and time instead of 10/2/17 date looks like 10/2/;7 :(
2. Regent Base 2 seems NOT working with NVDI/SpeedoGDOS/G+
3. Regent Base 2 recognized different resolutions (I mean 800x600, 1024x768 etc..) but don't work if NVDI or similar app is installed

All investigations was made on Aranym 1.02, STEmulator Gold 1.68 and Gemulator 2000 - I don't have a real Atari hardware :(

Everything else working as excepted :-)

Now I'm waiting for 2 missing disks, maybe those disks fix the problem:-)

Stay tuned :mrgreen:

P.S @TheNameOfTheGame - can you ask our generous donor if he know anything about Y2K problem ?

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:16 pm

I talked to the Owner and he says the source code is included as far as he knows. There are 3 disks in the archive labeled source.

He also talked to Frank Cohen last night and Frank still has his development TT! Maybe we can get a compile environment together.

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:34 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:I talked to the Owner and he says the source code is included as far as he knows. There are 3 disks in the archive labeled source.

He also talked to Frank Cohen last night and Frank still has his development TT! Maybe we can get a compile environment together.

Ok, I found 3 folders labeled RGNTSRC1, RGNTSRC2 and RGNTSRC3, presume it's sources.

Looks like assembler to me, source files has two extensions - DFN and S, and syntax inside S files is typical assembler.
I really want to help, but I never (shame on me) wrote a programs for Atari, I don't know nothing about RSC, menus, how to put together RSC and code etc..
Sorry, very sorry :(
But If I can help on any other way, you name it:-)

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:45 pm

I actually need only 3 things to fix up in Regent Base, if is possible, of course:-)

1. Support for NVDI/GDOS or any similar system and more colours - 16, 256
2. Y2K
3. High resolution+NVDI/GDOS

I can live without that, of course, but, if the source here, why not to use it and fix some stuffs?

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:44 am

The source is commented so a simple grep reveals the code for date/year. The owner thinks this is Devpac source so he is asking Frank Cohen about it.

I have original versions of Devpac 2 and Devpac 3, so we should be good to go sooner or later for the Y2K issue.

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:24 am

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:The source is commented so a simple grep reveals the code for date/year. The owner thinks this is Devpac source so he is asking Frank Cohen about it.

I have original versions of Devpac 2 and Devpac 3, so we should be good to go sooner or later for the Y2K issue.

This is really good news:-)

Regent Base is actually very, very strong and powerfull database system, and only Phoenix got SQL invovled, but RB2 has, if I saw correctly, full, or almost full implementation of SQL-85, which is, de facto, standard in DB apps:-)

Looks like chance for new life for RB2 - I'm very exciting about that :-)

But, without you and our donor this will be impossible. so , once again, thank you :cheers:

Cheers ! :cheers:

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:06 pm

The 2 additional disks arrived today. One contains the master programs and the other is an icon disk.

As before I have included the MSA files, PNG images of the disks and folders containing the disk contents.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ce3xq544ol7s60b/Regent%20Base%202_new.zip?dl=1

Thanks again to the owner for his generosity in sharing the disks! :cheers:

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:33 pm

Thank you for disks :-)

Can you just look over the Install,prg and Menu.prg from Master disk - in archive you send me size is 0.
I try to unpack MSA file with couple of different tools, but result is the same, message "Bad stamp of the file" and size - 0.

Very sorry to bothering you, but I can't fix this problem without you :-)

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:43 pm

Thanks for noticing that! I didn't even look at the file sizes when archiving. Sadly, these are zero byte files on the floppy disk also. :?

However, in the previous disks that you got, RB2SS and RB2DS, there is INSTALL.PRG and MENU.PRG. Perhaps they could be copied over to the Master Disk to replace the bad files.

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:52 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:Thanks for noticing that! I didn't even look at the file sizes when archiving. Sadly, these are zero byte files on the floppy disk also. :?

However, in the previous disks that you got, RB2SS and RB2DS, there is INSTALL.PRG and MENU.PRG. Perhaps they could be copied over to the Master Disk to replace the bad files.

Ok, I fix it:-)
Just change path in TABLES.TBL and all working.

Of course, I try it with Install.prg from different folders, but they won't work...anyway, now is all OK :-)

Thank you and our donor million times:-)

Cheers! :cheers:

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:46 pm

Fantastic! So we can have a reconstructed full install now? That would be full circle for recovering this program! :D

penguin
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby penguin » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:24 pm

Nice! I've never used Regent Base, although it had a German distributor. But Adimens had a whole ecosystem of supporting apps.

So, a comeback for Regent Base, Geneva and Neodesk? :D
AtariUpToDate - Atari ST/TT/Falcon software database and version tracker: http://www.atariuptodate.de
st-computer magazine - http://st-computer.atariuptodate.de/

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:29 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:Fantastic! So we can have a reconstructed full install now? That would be full circle for recovering this program! :D

Yes, we can :-)

Actually, there's no standard installation procedure, just program who set up path of .TBL files.
Small problem will be Y2K issues, but, anything else working like charm:-)
I'm making now a full working copy of RB2 ready to use.

Of course, in this distribution there's no source code, development files from our donor and some non-RB2 related files.
But, if you want , I can include source code too in distribution.

Please note that I don't have any real Atari hardware, so, the closest configuration for RB2 is STEmulator Gold 1.68 - TOS2.06, support for MultiTOS and NVDI - it's just enough.

RB2 working with Tos2Win, but , it's a little unstable, so I prefer STEmulator.

I also need to try run RB2 through Aranym, some basic configuration, no FVDI, no NVDI...

Anyway, I'll inform you when RB2 distribution will be ready (I hope tomorrow).

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:29 pm

penguin wrote:Nice! I've never used Regent Base, although it had a German distributor. But Adimens had a whole ecosystem of supporting apps.

So, a comeback for Regent Base, Geneva and Neodesk? :D

Looks like that !

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Thu Oct 05, 2017 5:21 pm

My fellow Atarians, boys and girls :-)

As I promised, here's the essence of the Regent Base 1.1 and 2, thanks to TheNameOfTheGame and our generous donor !

Before you start playing with this really powerful database system PLEASE read the following notes !

1. Do not run RB2 on system with NVDI, FVDI, GDOS or any alternative system. Reason is very simple - in case of using NVDI etc.. YOU CAN'T SEE ANY FORM ! Run it on pure TOS !
2. Do not use long file names !
3. Do not use resolutions bigger then 800x600x16 !
4. You need to start INSTALL.PRG to set up all .TBL files . If RB2 show error "Access denied" or similar, change in any editor at least PATH.TBL and then start BASE.PRG. Also, do it the same if INSTALL.PRG missing from folder.
5. Try to avoid too much folder depths because RB2 doesn't like too many depth of folders.
6. RB2 have Y2K issue !
7. RB2 won't work in multi-tasking environment, like MagiC or N.AES. I didn't try RB2 on MiNT because I don't use MiNT at all.
8. Archive MANUALS contain manuals of Regent Base 1.1 and Regent Base 2 - it's a regulat text files.
9. Archive RB2APP contain sample apps with forms, tables etc..
A. Archive RB11 contain guide for Regent Base 1.1 through the sample databases.
B. Archive RB2 contain Regent Base 2 - you need to start INSTALL.PRG so system can set paths and other parameters to your own folder !!!
C. Archive RB2MSTER is actually Regent Base 2 Master disk, but all programs (BASE.PRG, FORMS.PRG etc..have different sizes as programs from archive RB2 - probably Master disk is newer version of Regent Base. Also start INSTALL.PRG.
D. Archive RUNTIME contain RB2 runtime for distribution with database apps - very, very useful and very, very rare !

Please note that I don't have any Atari, so all test are made on Aranym 1.02, STEmulator Gold 1.68 and Tos2Win.
Maybe RB2 works much better on real hardware ?
Sometimes the whole system is kinda unstable, I have small problems with showing screens, forms etc.., but nothing dramatically...

Also, RB2 sometimes have problem with disks which don't have a GEM partition.
So, no problem on Aranym with disk images, but on STEmulator and Tos2Win sometimes copyng or other disk based operation won't work (both STEmulator and Tos2Win use Windows drives as Atari HDD)

And finally - READ THE MANUALS !
It's a lot to read, but worth it, because system is so powerful and flexible with unlimited possibilities:-)

Because we have a sources too,we can try to fix some annoying issues like Y2K, screen prewiev, support for NVDI and bigger resolution etc...

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jury
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jury » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:10 pm

I'm quite far away from my Atari machines now, but when I came back I will check it on the Falcon as I was quite sure that 16/32-bit atari's did not have any implementation of SQL database management systems. So I'm curious whats it like :)

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:15 pm

Wow, good work! That's a comprehensive set of archives. And your descriptions are very thorough! Very much appreciated! :cheers:

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Thu Oct 05, 2017 6:43 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:Wow, good work! That's a comprehensive set of archives. And your descriptions are very thorough! Very much appreciated! :cheers:

It was my pleasure:-)

Maartau
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Maartau » Fri Oct 06, 2017 12:47 pm

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Member of :
- aTaRi LeGeNd ,
- eLiTe ! ,
- NoExTrA .

[2017-10-18] & more...

-> "Cleaning/checking my ST mess " & "Back @ my (delayed) projects" <-
-> Slowed due to serious health troubles <-

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Sat Oct 07, 2017 2:22 am

Frank Cohen was nice enough to find the custom assembler for the source and forward it to the owner. Thanks Frank! :cheers:

Find it here attached.

ASM.zip
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nagual
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby nagual » Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:46 am

Aha, that's a very good, really nice move !

So, thanks to owner and Frank !

Social Media

Return to “Applications”