All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: VanillaMiNT has finally been updated

Postby ThorstenOtto » Sun Aug 19, 2018 12:39 am

joska wrote:No, it was not. It was an overview of the main topics of the wiki

Yes, thats what i thought. Something like a structured tblae of contents. For that, it would be helpful to know a bit how it should look like, there are currently ~200 pages in the wiki.

Painfully minimalistic and no search facilities makes it hard to manage and navigate any documentation bigger than a few pages.

Thats maybe because the wiki is not designed for that. For larger documentations, you could use freemint.github.io where you have more freedom on the format, but which is not editable through a web interface.

calimero
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby calimero » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:23 am

Microsoft bought Github, right?
using Atari since 1986.http://wet.atari.orghttp://milan.kovac.cc/atari/software/ ・ Atari Falcon030/CT63/SV ・ Atari STe ・ Atari Mega4/MegaFile30/SM124 ・ Amiga 1200/PPC ・ Amiga 500 ・ C64 ・ ZX Spectrum ・ RPi ・ MagiC! ・ MiNT 1.18 ・ OS X

mikro
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby mikro » Sun Aug 19, 2018 9:34 am

joska wrote:No, it was not. It was an overview of the main topics of the wiki, and made the wiki possible to navigate. The github wiki is unfortunately not that. Like github itself the github wiki is about as user "hostile" as it gets today. Painfully minimalistic and no search facilities makes it hard to manage and navigate any documentation bigger than a few pages.

OK, in that case it needs to be created from scratch. The side panel can be anything you like - the current "implementation" is just a default one provided by github. There are wonderful wikis on github, one just have to spend some time on it what I unfortunately can't.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sun Aug 19, 2018 8:47 pm

ThorstenOtto wrote:For that, it would be helpful to know a bit how it should look like, there are currently ~200 pages in the wiki.

Maybe Rob have a backup. In that case I can restore the wiki locally or host it on my site.

The wiki is currently a bit of a mess. A mix of good stuff from the old wiki, outdated stuff from the old wiki and new stuff which partially overlaps the old stuff. It needs quite a bit of tidying up, then a good index.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

sashapont
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby sashapont » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:30 am

I try change desktop to thing 1.27. I works. But when I add
run C:\taskbar\taskbar.prg

after or before shell it crashes with error AVRSERVER
Atari Falcon, Firebee

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:53 am

Does it crash? Or produce an error message and then exit? Taskbar does not start if the AVSERVER can't be found. Is the AVSERVER environment variable correctly set up as specified in Thing! docs?
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

sashapont

Postby sashapont » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:59 am

Yes it produces an error message and then exit. But can't start from cases meant start desktop. Yes environment is
setenv AVSERVER "THING "
Atari Falcon, Firebee

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:05 am

It should be "THING " with three spaces, is that the case?

Also, do not start Taskbar from xaaes.cnf. (Auto)start it from the desktop. The shell (desktop) is started last, on a slower machine Taskbar may time out before Thing! is finished loading.
Jo Even

sashapont

Postby sashapont » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:08 am

Thank you! It is good solution! How I can autostart from desktop?
Atari Falcon, Firebee

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:49 am

Right click on the program you want to autostart, select "Install application" (Or "anmelden" something if in German) from the popup. Then look in the Options-tab in the dialog that is now displayed.

thing!.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jo Even

sashapont

Postby sashapont » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:09 am

Yes it works! Thank you! sometimes thing is not start with memory violetion, but always work after relaunch
Atari Falcon, Firebee

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:53 am

sashapont wrote:Yes it works! Thank you! sometimes thing is not start with memory violetion, but always work after relaunch

Something is wrong with your setup... I would again advice to start from scratch with a fresh VanillaMiNT install, and test thoroughly for every change and/or addition you make. You have added some software or changed some configuration that causes all this.
Jo Even

sashapont

Postby sashapont » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:11 pm

Yes may be in future :) Now I have working configuration :) How I can save configuration of taskbar? Its always
reset after restart?
I try to configure myAes ip pictures it shows nice skins, but skins not working for me in hater and real falcon.
Atari Falcon, Firebee

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:24 pm

sashapont wrote:Yes may be in future :) Now I have working configuration :)

No you don't. You have a "sort of working" configuration.

sashapont wrote:How I can save configuration of taskbar? Its always reset after restart?

It saves it's setup automatically whenever you exit it. It sounds like you either don't shut down correctly (use Shutdown-feature in XaAES (Control+Alt+H)) or there is a problem which causes shutdown to not work properly. Again - start from scratch and test (!) between each modification and addition to find out what's causing all your problems. You can continue using your current setup, but stability will most likely be very poor.

sashapont wrote:I try to configure myAes ip pictures it shows nice skins, but skins not working for me in hater and real falcon.

That's outside the scope here, VanillaMiNT use XaAES.
Jo Even

sashapont

Postby sashapont » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:50 pm

Is it possible to import thing icons for files and folders to teradesk?
Atari Falcon, Firebee

ThorstenOtto
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ThorstenOtto » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:55 am

sashapont wrote:Is it possible to import thing icons for files and folders to teradesk?

The cicons.rsc (where the icons are loaded from), is just a normal resource file that can be edited with any resource editor that can deal with color icons (eg. ORCS ;) So yes, that is possible. Just load both resource files, then drag the icons from thing's resource file to teradesk.

IIRC, teradesk does the lookup just based on text of the icon, so you may have to adapt these afterwards.

Social Media

Return to “Applications”