VanillaMiNT has finally been updated

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

BlankVector
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: VanillaMiNT has finally been updated

Postby BlankVector » Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:24 am

joska wrote:So basically you have to compile for 68000 if you want to create binaries for FPU-less Falcons using gcc?

Yes. Things were like that in my early GCC 4 patches. At that time I didn't know that FPU-less Falcons were existing. This didn't seem to be a problem for anyone. But now I consider this choice as questionable, this is why I reopened the question.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:34 am

Btw, I've noticed that the wiki link in the instructions doesn't point to the new location (https://github.com/freemint/freemint/wiki).

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:37 pm

mikro wrote:Btw, I've noticed that the wiki link in the instructions doesn't point to the new location (https://github.com/freemint/freemint/wiki).

That's because that wiki is missing the sidebar, making it very hard to find stuff.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:39 pm

joska wrote:That's because that wiki is missing the sidebar, making it very hard to find stuff.

Well it's not perfect but certainly it's not missing:

Clipboard02.png

Anyway, as you can see on the screenshot, you can add a custom one as well, so if you have a better idea, feel free to try it out. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Sun May 07, 2017 8:06 pm

Would any one mind zipping up and sharing their Vanilla MiNT.CNF, XaaES and Teradesk config files that are using an 060 and SuperVidel?
Currently testing a CT60.
No problem booting to Teradesk, first thing it does is kill Taskbar. Launching any application, XaaES terminates due to memory violation.
This is for all apps.
If I kill Teradesk, and run apps from Xaaes, there seems to be no problem.
Looked into all config files I could find.
THX

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sun May 07, 2017 8:26 pm

Rustynutt wrote:Would any one mind zipping up and sharing their Vanilla MiNT.CNF, XaaES and Teradesk config files that are using an 060 and SuperVidel?

Stock VanillaMiNT setup will work. But make sure that you are using a VGA boot mode. Not XaAES video settings or TOS desktop settings, but NV-RAM boot settings. Use ct60conf.cpx to make sure of this.

Rustynutt wrote:No problem booting to Teradesk, first thing it does is kill Taskbar. Launching any application, XaaES terminates due to memory violation.

You are describing exactly what happens if you try to run XaAES with TOS VDI. You are using NVDI, right? With screen drivers installed/enabled?
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Sun May 07, 2017 8:52 pm

joska wrote:
Rustynutt wrote:Would any one mind zipping up and sharing their Vanilla MiNT.CNF, XaaES and Teradesk config files that are using an 060 and SuperVidel?

Stock VanillaMiNT setup will work. But make sure that you are using a VGA boot mode. Not XaAES video settings or TOS desktop settings, but NV-RAM boot settings. Use ct60conf.cpx to make sure of this.

Rustynutt wrote:No problem booting to Teradesk, first thing it does is kill Taskbar. Launching any application, XaaES terminates due to memory violation.

You are describing exactly what happens if you try to run XaAES with TOS VDI. You are using NVDI, right? With screen drivers installed/enabled?

Yes, NVDI installed. I get an NVRAM error, figure from the CT, batt is dead, but use the read from (CT) TOS setting. CT60 CPX is set to VGA, as is desktop.inf. Do see an video setting in the Xaaes config, set default to VGA.

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Sun May 07, 2017 9:44 pm

joska wrote:

Got it, most of it :)

It's the NVDI assign.sys file contents. The one supplied with SuperVidel does not have the NVDI screen modes. NVDI was running, but didn't have the modes to load. Went back to an original file after you mentioned TOS VDI. Going to try and combine the two sys files. In the SV inf, there is an option to force the AES to use SuperVidel resolutions. Guess thats how you switch SV resolutions.

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Mon May 08, 2017 2:53 am

dup post

Rustynutt
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rustynutt » Mon May 08, 2017 4:20 am

Damn I'm hard headed!

Least I learned a lot about the CFG files :)

It wasn't the assign.sys file.
Used the provided SV assign.sys file.

Had to boot without MiNT, 060/SV running.
Used the set video from the desktop.
When you switch from Videl to Supervidel, the mode code is displayed at the side.
Didn't catch it in the example XaaeS CFG file at first, used the incorrect setting.
Set video to 0x441c, enabled MiNT and rebooted.
Right to Thing Desktop at 1024*768 16bit.

Thanks Jo :)

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Mon May 08, 2017 7:04 am

Rustynutt wrote:When you switch from Videl to Supervidel, the mode code is displayed at the side.
Didn't catch it in the example XaaeS CFG file at first, used the incorrect setting.
Set video to 0x441c, enabled MiNT and rebooted.

Good :) I intend to support the SuperVidel in my videomode selector in the future. Just need an SV to test it with!
Jo Even

Estrayk
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Estrayk » Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:34 am

Joska, thanks for VanillaMINT, installed perfectly on my Falcon, but just a question:
It is possible use another desktop instead teradesk, like.... Thing, ease, jinee...?

Thanks
・Falcon 030+FPU 14mb CosmosEX・Atari MegaSTE 4Mb CosmosEX・Atari STe 4Mb GotekHxC+Satan・Amiga A600 Vampire V2・Amiga A1200 030/50・MIST・

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:00 am

Sure, you can use any desktop as long as it works with MiNT. See c:\mint\desktop.cnf
Jo Even

farvardin
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby farvardin » Sat Jul 22, 2017 7:49 pm

I'm trying to run VanillaMint on the MiST. I've already st_mint which works well, but I wanted another setup, if possible in color.

So I've downloaded the "TT, Falcon and ST's with 68030 accelerators. " version (and tried it first in the hatari emulator, in st mode)

First, it was not very clear how to get this nvdi.prg. Is it required alone, does it need a nvdi configuration file and other stuff in addition? It's maybe obvious for people using mint for years, but not for newcomers. The nvdi.de website is not very clear on what nvdi is for, btw. It seems it's like some graphical drivers, but I'm not sure. It's not in your archive for copyright reasons? It seems it's abandonware, but I'm not sure, the website, which is still active, ask more than 70 € for it. Nevertheless, after some search, I've found the file in this forum, and there is also another one in the easyaramint project.

I've put nvdi.prg into auto, and also the other files from the nvditools archive I've found.

"Use the desktop or a directory sorter to make sure that NVDI is located before mint.prg in the auto-folder. "

How can I do that? I've only renamed "nvdi.prg" to "anvdia.prg" so it will be started before mint.prg

When it starts, I only see "nvdi 5.03 (c) 1991..... font-scaling tech....." then it hangs.

it is supposed to work with TOS 1.6 or TOS 2 ?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:38 pm

farvardin wrote:I'm trying to run VanillaMint on the MiST. I've already st_mint which works well, but I wanted another setup, if possible in color.

So, does the ST-core support the 030 now? If not, then forget about VanillaMiNT for now.

farvardin wrote:First, it was not very clear how to get this nvdi.prg. Is it required alone, does it need a nvdi configuration file and other stuff in addition? It's maybe obvious for people using mint for years, but not for newcomers.

NVDI is not MiNT-specific, it's a VDI replacement for all Ataris that offers a lot of additional features. You need this to use MiNT/XaAES on standard Atari hardware.

http://www.s212939144.websitehome.co.uk/awarez/

Install NVDI first and get it working, then install MiNT after. But you need a 030, 040 or 060 for the current VanillaMiNT.

farvardin wrote:"Use the desktop or a directory sorter to make sure that NVDI is located before mint.prg in the auto-folder. "

How can I do that? I've only renamed "nvdi.prg" to "anvdia.prg" so it will be started before mint.prg

Not it won't :) Programs are not sorted in any way, they are started in the order you copy them to the folder. So you either need to first copy nvdi.prg and then mint.prg to the auto-folder, or use a program like Autosort, XBoot or similar tools to rearrange the running order.
Jo Even

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Thu Sep 21, 2017 11:33 am

What about a Version for the 68000 CPU ?

A Mega ST or a MEGA STE with a Magnum ST or a MonSTer with 10 or 12MB of Ram should be fine for MiNT/XaAES ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

Social Media

Return to “Applications”