Diamond Back source code

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

anodyne
Atari freak
Atari freak

Diamond Back source code

Postby anodyne » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:53 am

I have released the source code for Diamond Back III under the GPL. It's available on sourceforge.net, should anyone be interested, at this URL:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/diamon ... =directory
You'll need Lattice C v5.60 to compile it.

Please don't ask me for support: if I had time to do that, I wouldn't be releasing the source code ;-).

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Diamond Back source code

Postby mikro » Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:41 am

Great initiative, Roger! Although it's not as much needed as in the gold years but still -- thumb up.

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Thu Jan 26, 2017 2:18 pm

Any chance you could release Diamond Edge sources too? :)

marss
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby marss » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:50 am

big thanks

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:12 am

Frank B wrote:Any chance you could release Diamond Edge sources too? :)

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=31087
TT030: 4MB/16MB + Crazy Dots, Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

spiny
Disk Imager Supreme
Disk Imager Supreme

Postby spiny » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:19 am

thanks for this too :)

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:44 pm

Dal wrote:

Fantastic! :)

Frank

anodyne
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby anodyne » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:49 pm

Frank B wrote:
Dal wrote:

Frank

When you asked, I was already preparing the release, but I couldn't let you steal my thunder ;-)

Frank B
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Frank B » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:07 pm

anodyne wrote:
Frank B wrote:

Frank

When you asked, I was already preparing the release, but I couldn't let you steal my thunder ;-)

:) Very cool in any case :)
Thanks!

itaboy
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby itaboy » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:25 pm

Thank you very much. It is of great interest to me. Very glad I can study these sources. Thanks again

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Sat Sep 30, 2017 5:13 pm

This is great news!
I just found out about an updated/big-fixed Diamond Back now being open source here and was overjoyed about that (I bought the commercial version several years ago), but I'm no programmer and don't know the first thing about compiling.

Will the binaries be available from that same site in time, or is someone else (here perhaps) working on making them available?

A huge thanks to Anodyne for releasing both this and Diamond Edge as open source to the public! :) :thumbs:
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

anodyne
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby anodyne » Sat Sep 30, 2017 7:12 pm

Fujiyama wrote:This is great news!
I just found out about an updated/big-fixed Diamond Back now being open source here and was overjoyed about that (I bought the commercial version several years ago), but I'm no programmer and don't know the first thing about compiling.

Will the binaries be available from that same site in time, or is someone else (here perhaps) working on making them available?

A huge thanks to Anodyne for releasing both this and Diamond Edge as open source to the public! :) :thumbs:

Thanks for your thanks :wink:. Unfortunately, I just don't have time myself to build & test the binaries. You're actually the first person I know of who would like a copy. We need more programmers ...

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:17 pm

I ran the source code through Lattice C. I made two small changes: I removed the TRACE option that would output debug info to a logfile and more significantly I removed the message telling you that this was an expired beta version. While the resulting Diamond Backup 3.61 seems to run, I didn't test it thoroughly. So it might be best not to backup your invaluable files with it until after doing some extensive testing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by czietz on Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fujiyama
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Fujiyama » Sat Sep 30, 2017 8:31 pm

You're welcome, Anodyne :D
Good to see you here. I'm surprised there hasn't been more interest but perhaps people just don't know about it.

I happened to check out the Diamond Edge open source/download page to see if I had the latest version and happened to click on Anodynesoftware on that page which presented numerous software including Diamond Back, then searched for "Diamond Back" in this forum and came to this thread.
All of the Sourceforge pages look very "generic" and similar, and presented in a "geeky" fashion if I might say so, so for the common Atari user they might be a little put off if they don't know exactly what "binaries" means ("download and ready to use").

Maybe both programs should be presented again and programmers here should be encouranged to help compile Diamond Back. Surely, a great backup solution is in the interest for every Atari user who cares about his/her files and software!

UPDATE: In the meantime, while writing this posting, I see Czietz has uploaded a compiled version!
Much appreciated Czietz!!! Thank you :D :D :D
I agree, it should probably be tested thoroughly before being "officially" distributed and announced though. A backup program is such an important piece of software that people rely on that it's essential that it works as expected.
Also, I'm sure it's not in Anodyne's interest that a buggy piece of software is spread around. Maybe several Atari users here could get together to test and recompile it (I'd offer to beta test myself but my Atari computers are still not fully operational as in a repair state. Sorry).
Mega STe | MonSTer with dual IDE-CF memory card adapter | STe | SM-144 |NEC Multisync 1990SXi | IDE doubler | ST_ESSC | RSVE | ICD Link II | Link '97 | HD floppy drive/AJAX | HD floppy module | Minolta PCMCIA card-drive | Realtime Clock module | Discovery cartridge | Unitor-2 | Export | Combiner | Steady Eye | Human Touch | Unicorn USB

Maartau
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Maartau » Sat Sep 30, 2017 11:14 pm

Yes, full thanks [smilie=greencolorz4_pdt_01.gif] .
- aTaRi LeGeNd,
- eLiTe.

-> My apologizes if I'm late, serious health troubles <-

Social Media

Return to “Applications”