Calamus and dual monitors

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Calamus and dual monitors

Postby joska » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:53 pm

I have a graphics card in my Mega ST, which Calamus 1.09 runs very well on in monochrome mode. I'd like to use the dual monitor feature, but how does that work? When I run Calamus on the graphics card it does not let me enable the second monitor, I just get a warning saying "this only works when Calamus is running on the main monitor". What's the "main monitor"? The only way to use the shifter monitor is to boot without the graphics card driver, but in that case Calamus has no idea that a second monitor is available.

Btw the card is an ET4000 using the NOVA driver.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

tenox
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Calamus and dual monitors

Postby tenox » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:45 am

Have you tried Calamus SL? 1.09 is very limited. BTW if you have a legal copy of 1.09 you can upgrade to SL 2015 for 99 Euro.

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:15 am

I guess that would only work with a "true" GDOS where the Calamus would start in one of the standard screen resolutions (with the AES running on the built-in graphics). It would then be able to open an additional physical workstation on your graphics card driving that one with its GDOS-supplied VDI driver only.

I think I had it once running like this on a TT with a CrazyDots card.

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Fri Aug 05, 2016 5:27 am

I know this only with Matrix Graphiccards ...
fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:41 am

tenox wrote:Have you tried Calamus SL? 1.09 is very limited. BTW if you have a legal copy of 1.09 you can upgrade to SL 2015 for 99 Euro.

I actually prefer 1.09, since it's simple enough for me to understand how it works :)
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:43 am

mfro wrote:I guess that would only work with a "true" GDOS where the Calamus would start in one of the standard screen resolutions (with the AES running on the built-in graphics). It would then be able to open an additional physical workstation on your graphics card driving that one with its GDOS-supplied VDI driver only.

So you need a special driver for the graphics card? Is this supplied with the graphics card or with Calamus?
Jo Even

mfro
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby mfro » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:11 am

joska wrote:So you need a special driver for the graphics card? Is this supplied with the graphics card or with Calamus?

I'd say: not a special one but rather a clean, independent, VDI/GDOS conformant one.

Many (monochrome because of the identical bitplane layout) drivers just trick the internal VDI, "blow up" and retarget the LINEA variables to their own screen to avoid the need for separate drawing functions. If you "reuse" these, they are obviously not anymore available for the internal graphics and a dual monitor layout can't work.

At least that's my assumption, it has been a while ...

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:03 am

Some Googling suggests that this feature is for the Viking graphics card only. I.e. you boot without the Viking driver, and Calamus will detect and use the graphics card itself.
Jo Even

Social Media

Return to “Applications”