MagiC in ROM

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

MagiC in ROM

Postby joska » Tue Mar 03, 2015 4:24 pm

I'm trying to run MagiC 6.2 from ROM, but so far without success. I'm using these MagiC files from ppera/AtariZoll. I put the ROM image in ROM, and copy the files in "TO_C_ROO.T" to the root of partition C. When I restart the ST I immediately get a "System überschrieben" and 11 bombs. Has anybody had any success with this on real hardware?

System: 520STM with 4Mb RAM, IDE-interface and TOS 2.x support. HD-Driver 8. No ACSI disks.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: MagiC in ROM

Postby AtariZoll » Tue Mar 03, 2015 5:37 pm

According to may testings some years ago, Magic works not with all hard disk driver versions. Driver must fulfill some specs to boot well under ROM Magic.
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

frank.lukas
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby frank.lukas » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:49 pm

fancy Atari Musik anDA Dance "Agare Hinu Harukana" 1998 ATARI http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX10fxb5eYE

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Mar 03, 2015 6:53 pm

Just tested and I get the exact same error with no harddisks attached.
Jo Even

Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:47 pm

frank.lukas wrote:... perhaps this help -> http://cd.textfiles.com/crawlycrypt2/ut ... /magixrom/

Alright! I created a new ROM-image using this tool and this time it works. Thanks a lot :)

frank.lukas wrote:Use the Google Translator !

I learned German at school. Hated it then, but it has proven useful the 25+ years I've been an Atari owner.
Jo Even

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Tue Mar 03, 2015 7:54 pm

joska wrote:
frank.lukas wrote:... perhaps this help -> http://cd.textfiles.com/crawlycrypt2/ut ... /magixrom/

Alright! I created a new ROM-image using this tool and this time it works. Thanks a lot :)

Does Magic run from rom or get copied into ram?

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Tue Mar 03, 2015 8:10 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:Does Magic run from rom or get copied into ram?

Judging from the amount of free RAM it's running from ROM.
Jo Even

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Mar 04, 2015 7:50 am

So, exactly which Magic image file from my site you used ? Because it seems that you tried with RAM and not ROM version.
I used same ttp to create ROM from RAM version. I would like to know if there is some real problem with ROM *.IMG files there.
English language is like bad boss on workplace: it expecting from you to strictly follow all, numerous rules, but self bending rules as much likes :mrgreen:

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:40 am

I tried MAGIC62D.IMG and MAGIC62E.IMG. I used the magxrom.ttp (r2 p01 a0) tool to create a ROM image from the RAM-images in your archives and the resulting ROM-image worked fine. Although MagXdesk is quite unstable, so I will try a different distribution too.
Jo Even

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Wed Mar 04, 2015 6:54 pm

One thing to mention is that the magxrom.ttp tool wants the magic.ram file to be named mag!x.ram otherwise it will not create the roms images.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:09 pm

I did some updates last year - translating to English some remaining parts, + fixing IDE autoboot (what was bad, it seems). But that was not tested much.
MAGIC62FUA.ZIP

It contains UK (RAA), US (RAU) Magic 6.2 RAM and printer driver file with completed translation.
If can, convert to ROM with that tool, and test on your HW .
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:54 pm

Yes, I remember that thread from last year http://www.atari-forum.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=26060&p=246219&hilit=PDLG.SLB#p246219 and I am using the translated file from there.

I burned my magic.ram file after splitting it with magixrom.ttp which gave me the files MAG_E0_E.128 and MAG_E0_O.128. I changed W102 and W104 to short pins 1&2 since I am using 32pin 27C010 chips.

However, when I boot, all I get is a white screen; No floppy activity, no keyboard light, nothing.

When I burned the images, I had to load the even and odd files MAG_E0_E.128 and MAG_E0_O.128. Here are the options I had to load them in to the burner software:

I chose the options:

Code: Select all

File Information:  BIN
Loading Mode: All
Offset address: 0 and 0
Fill mode in blank area:  Do not change

I attached the rom files. I used options r2 p01 a0 for magixrom.ttp.

What am I doing wrong?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:33 pm

These are binary (BIN) files, not HEX files.
Jo Even

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:59 pm

AtariZoll wrote:If can, convert to ROM with that tool, and test on your HW .

This one boots fine :)
Jo Even

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:17 pm

joska wrote:These are binary (BIN) files, not HEX files.

I did choose BIN...see above. The picture is the defaults for my burner software. What I actually chose is what is listed in the code box.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Wed Mar 04, 2015 11:56 pm

I was going by the Wiki http://www.atari-wiki.com/?title=STE_TOS_Upgrade to set the rom jumpers.

*Edit* Yes the WIKI is correct.
Last edited by TheNameOfTheGame on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:15 pm, edited 8 times in total.

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Thu Mar 05, 2015 12:10 am

AtariZoll wrote:According to may testings some years ago, Magic works not with all hard disk driver versions. Driver must fulfill some specs to boot well under ROM Magic.

I have the Magic rom starting to boot now. I get the Magic Logo circle and a red progress bar, but the ultrasatan doesn't ever seem to get accessed. If I press the space bar I get a "system destroyed" message and 11 bombs.

It never attempts to access the floppy.

STE with Ultrasatan on ASCI port and HDDRIVER 9.00.

*Update*

Ok I tried booting with 3 different devices (all ASCI):

Ultrasatan using HDDRIVER 9.00

Supradrive using probably AHDI driver...not sure.

Regualar HDD interfaced through The Link using Link driver 6.0.8.

All boot to the desktop using the lower STE which is unmodified. Using the top STE which has Magic burned in ROM, they all exhibit the Logo Circle and crash when the space bar is pressed.

Here is the video of what is happening. It doesn't seem to be disk driver dependant since I used 3 different devices and drivers. All crash when the space bar is pressed. I couldn't get the video to embed, but here is the link.

You can see it cycle through the drive delay as the red bar goes down and then it repeats endlessly unless a key is pressed then it crashes. It is like it cannot see the ASCI drive for some reason.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ap_5Lo2tHo&feature=youtu.be (sorry for the background music, I had The Voice playing on the tv :lol: )

I created the rom files with the "r2 p01 a0" parameters and both chips passed verification after burning. Does this even work with ASCI devices or just IDE?

I only have OTP 27C010 chips so I don't want to burn through them without having a plan in place. Any suggestions are appreciated.

AtariZoll
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby AtariZoll » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:05 am

It is possible that IDE patched versions have non-working or removed ACSI autoboot code. All I know is that there were some problems with IDE in original 6.20, so it was patched by some in past. I recommend that use ROM IMG files from 8bitchip.info for now - they are tested with ACSI .
I need to trace complete boot process in Steem Debugger to see what exactly happens. Then maybe will be able to compose version which is OK for ACSI and IDE autoboot. + Will be with full English translation. Otherwise will have 2 versions - ACSI and IDE . That will take some time ..

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Mar 05, 2015 7:20 am

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:One thing to mention is that the magxrom.ttp tool wants the magic.ram file to be named mag!x.ram otherwise it will not create the roms images.

Sounds like you're using an older version of this tool. Mag!X is the name used for old (v2?) versions of MagiC. I bought a Falcon in November 1994, and remember that there was no MagiC with Falcon-support at that time. That came with MagiC 4 in the following year. I can see that the tool from Crawly Crypt which was linked to above is from 1994. I suspect it only supports MagiC 3. So it is not the same as I use. I just noticed that now. The second link posted (http://atari4ever.free.fr/hardware/zip/magrom5.zip) is the version I used.
Jo Even

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:43 pm

AtariZoll wrote:It is possible that IDE patched versions have non-working or removed ACSI autoboot code. All I know is that there were some problems with IDE in original 6.20, so it was patched by some in past. I recommend that use ROM IMG files from 8bitchip.info for now - they are tested with ACSI .
I need to trace complete boot process in Steem Debugger to see what exactly happens. Then maybe will be able to compose version which is OK for ACSI and IDE autoboot. + Will be with full English translation. Otherwise will have 2 versions - ACSI and IDE . That will take some time ..

Ok, I tried with the files from http://atari.8bitchip.info/MAGICE62.ZIP.

Used ROMSPLIT.PRG to make the HI and LO from MAGIC62E.IMG. Both chips burned and passed verification. Upon booting with these chips, there is a longer boot delay but it still bombs after the delay is up. It doesn't endlessly cycle like the previous roms made with MAGIXROM.TTP, but crashes right after the boot delay. I should note that after the boot delay the screen clears like there is a reboot and then it crashes.

Here is a video of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyAXjcgy6Rk

I tried using ultrasatan w/hddriver 9 and with the mechanical hdd using the Link and link driver 6.0.8. Neither setup seems to access the hard drive before crashing with 11 bombs.

I did setup Steem 3.7.0 with a real Pasti emulated hard drive using your steps here http://atari.8bitchip.info/RealHDES.html. I formated and partitioned the pasti drive image using hddriver 9.0. This was able to boot to MAGXDESK successfully using the Magic ROM image. For some reason it doesn't work on my real hardware.

joska wrote:
TheNameOfTheGame wrote:One thing to mention is that the magxrom.ttp tool wants the magic.ram file to be named mag!x.ram otherwise it will not create the roms images.

Sounds like you're using an older version of this tool. Mag!X is the name used for old (v2?) versions of MagiC. I bought a Falcon in November 1994, and remember that there was no MagiC with Falcon-support at that time. That came with MagiC 4 in the following year. I can see that the tool from Crawly Crypt which was linked to above is from 1994. I suspect it only supports MagiC 3. So it is not the same as I use. I just noticed that now. The second link posted (http://atari4ever.free.fr/hardware/zip/magrom5.zip) is the version I used.

Ok, I downloaded the newer software and tried. It still crashes the system, but doesn't do the endless cycling of the Magic Logo like the old version.

Are you using a Falcon for this? I am using an STE. Maybe that makes a difference?
Last edited by TheNameOfTheGame on Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 2 times in total.

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:56 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:Are you using a Falcon for this? I am using an STE. Maybe that makes a difference?

I'm using a 520STM with IDE-interface and currently no ACSI devices. I have not tried MagiC in ROM on an STE yet.
Jo Even

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:14 pm

Ok it is working!

The rom image works good using magrom5 to create the HI LO chips. Petari's pre-made image also works running it through ROMSPLIT.PRG.

The problem was the jumpers W102,W103,W104. I needed to set them like the WIKI says W102-1&2, W103-2&3 and W104-1&2. So the WIKI is correct.

The boot is very fast now and I have a lot more memory! Now I need to get TOS switching going :cheers:

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:34 pm

With TOS 2.06 in ROM and loading Magic into RAM, it leaves 1493KB free after everything is loaded in.
With Magic in ROM, it leaves 1742KB free.

So with Magic in ROM it saves 249KB. That's a good chunk! :cheers:

TOS ROM
..................................................................................................................MAGIC ROM
Image Image

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:15 pm

TheNameOfTheGame wrote:Ok it is working!

That's great :)
Jo Even

TheNameOfTheGame
Atari God
Atari God

Postby TheNameOfTheGame » Fri May 06, 2016 12:17 am

I've been using MagiC in ROM for a while, but it is also nice to play games sometimes so I needed a TOS.

I chose Quad TOS which gives me 4 choices to select from. This way I can boot MagiC ROM normally and TOS when I want to play a game.

It is pretty easy to do if you can use a soldering iron and eprom burner, the instructions are here: http://atari4ever.free.fr/ in the TOS section. :cheers:

Social Media

Return to “Applications”