uip-tool

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

sqward
Atari freak
Atari freak

Re: uip-tool

Postby sqward » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:20 pm

I don't know what you mean by "URL list" - it is a thing? I don't know HTML very well...

BTW. you can do much more with commandline. Readme on bitbucket lists the "API". It allows you to upload and run files remotely. I use it for demo coding. This is in fact the primary reason I created this tool. HTML interface was just an add-on for people.

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:54 pm

A simple textfile would do, no HTML required.
Just a list of all files in the directory with complete URLs.
Imagine browsing the directory as shown in my screenshot here:

uiptool-example.png

The textfile would contain line by line URLs like these:

Code: Select all

http://192.168.0.200/d/BACKUP/F030GAME.ZIP
http://192.168.0.200/d/BACKUP/DEMOS.ZIP

So there would only be a button or another link providing this list for download.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Simon Sunnyboy/Paradize - http://paradize.atari.org/

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

sqward
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby sqward » Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:28 pm

And then what would you do with that list? Can browsers interpret that and batch download a directory?

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:37 am

Not browsers but a small shell script or Python script would do for me.
But I can also imagine that there are browser extensions out there that can scan lists for bulk downloading.
(I am normally not a leecher so I don't have much experience with such tools)

Jdownlaoder seems to have options to import selected lists of URLs.

Stay cool, stay Atari!

1x2600jr, 1x1040STFm, 1x1040STE 4MB+TOS2.06+SatanDisk, 1xF030 14MB+FPU+NetUS-Bee

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 10:18 am

As I ran into network problems and had to manually restart uIPTool from time to time, I wrote a small utility that allows to tweak the AUTO boot sequence to run uiptool either once or in a repeating fashion.

In the latter mode, the tool is restarted after crashing or undesired termination (e.q. I accidentally hit SPACE on the Falcon keyboard and the tool stopped amidst in a 50MB download)

At GitHub: https://github.com/simonsunnyboy/startuip

Stay cool, stay Atari!

sqward
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby sqward » Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:47 pm

Going back to your URL list problem, why don't you use the existing directory listings in JSON format?

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:45 pm

It is not a format of choice :P

Outside of the web world, it is a PITA to parse from what I have tasted. My company implemented a JSON parser in C for an embedded project and the guys invovled were not very happy.

But I can try if I can isolate the interesting information with some grep action in the case of uip-tool as the power on the shell is larger.

Stay cool, stay Atari!

sqward
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby sqward » Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:53 pm

you've mentioned Python script first so JSON shouldn't be a problem there :P

Moulinaie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Moulinaie » Sat Mar 31, 2018 5:54 am

Hi Sqward !
Very useful tool.
I used it on my MegaSTE to upload many files. No problem at all.
Just hoping that "drag and drop" could be in both directions, from the ST to the PC to make backups.

Great job,
Guillaume.

sqward
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby sqward » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:00 pm

It's not possible (to my knowledge) to implement universally comaptibile (across all browsers) download of multiple files with one user action.

Moulinaie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Moulinaie » Thu Apr 12, 2018 6:56 am

sqward wrote:It's not possible (to my knowledge) to implement universally comaptibile (across all browsers) download of multiple files with one user action.

I just compress a whole partition on the MSTE into a single LZH file that I can download easely then.
Fortunately, I have a spare partition on the Atari side that can store the LZH.

Guillaume.

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Thu Apr 12, 2018 3:36 pm

I tried packing my stuffs with ST-Zip and it took a loong time even with compression deactivated.
Not to mention STZip crashed for me with weird Mint kernel messages, I think directory recursion didn't do it any good.

But basically that is the way to go, bundle stuff in container files and transfer only the containers with uip-tool.

Stay cool, stay Atari!

jonord
Atarian
Atarian

Postby jonord » Thu Apr 12, 2018 4:59 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:I tried packing my stuffs with ST-Zip and it took a loong time even with compression deactivated.
Not to mention STZip crashed for me with weird Mint kernel messages, I think directory recursion didn't do it any good.

But basically that is the way to go, bundle stuff in container files and transfer only the containers with uip-tool.

But if you run mint, why not use tar to make an archive? Or some variant of gzip?

sqward
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby sqward » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:20 pm

Just to be sure: uiptool is not meant to run under MiNT.

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:32 pm

sqward wrote:Just to be sure: uiptool is not meant to run under MiNT.

Yes but packing the stuffs for transfer was done under it.

Regarding tar, the antique versions of tar available for MinT refused to pack directories for me.
As I am not using any unixoid file systems, just plain old FAT, it might matter, it is a VanillaMint look-alike.

The versions of tar I tried all crashed when trying to simply tar an directory like I'D do under Linux (no packing with gzip or anything)

tar cvf backup.tar some_dir

Under Linux this will recurse and process fine, with FreeMint and FAT filesystem I got error messages that it wouldn't access the directory given.

I got tired of looking for suitable tar versions so i simply used something that worked. :P

Stay cool, stay Atari!

Moulinaie
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Moulinaie » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:38 pm

simonsunnyboy wrote:I tried packing my stuffs with ST-Zip and it took a loong time even with compression deactivated.

If I remember well, ST ZIP crashes when managing empty directories...

Is it the reason?

Guillaume.

simonsunnyboy

Postby simonsunnyboy » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:42 pm

Moulinaie wrote:

If I remember well, ST ZIP crashes when managing empty directories...

Is it the reason?

Guillaume.

IIRC I have no completely empty directories. It was more than resource allocation overload for recursion. It was GEMDOS related someway.

Stay cool, stay Atari!

susher
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby susher » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:30 pm

I've been trying to work out why UIP-Tool isn't working on my TT with the NetUSBee-lite and have been investigating the ethernec device driver code, which seems quite hacky to get speed. Does UIP-Tool use parts of the ethernec code internally?

(All the NetUSBee tests pass, as does the ht2nec test program which comes with ethernec. The latter can read the MAC address but neither enec3 not UIP-Tool can. I'm wondering if some of the optimisations don't work one certain revs of the TT motherboard as they assume things which may not be always true. I can't see how tst.b is being used to write by reading for a start (BUSENEC.I).)

sqward
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby sqward » Thu Apr 19, 2018 10:39 pm

The code is out there in Bitbucket. I didn't optimize the driver too much because a) I wanted it to also work on ST b) the built-in TCP/IP stack itself is the biggest bottleneck.

susher
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby susher » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:32 pm

sqward wrote:The code is out there in Bitbucket. I didn't optimize the driver too much because a) I wanted it to also work on ST b) the built-in TCP/IP stack itself is the biggest bottleneck.

I'm guessing that as you include the "etherne" hardware test utilities that you are using that code.

I've been doing some experimentation using the STiNG driver. I built a version which had a far longer delay after the reset and magically STiNG could pick up the MAC address of the NetUSBee. It still didn't send/receive packets correctly but it does suggest that it is a timing issue. (I increased the delay for ADelay from #2 to #20 in ie_probe1 within the file ne.s)

If you are using the same code it may be a good idea to increase the delays also and maybe all the TT users who are having problems will be happy again. :-)

Marsupilami
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Marsupilami » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:13 am

Hi,

i can't run uip-tool, it crashes at launch without any error message (no bomb, i just get back to TOS/GEM).
My config :
1040 STE (french)
TOS : 1.62
RAM : 1M
Hardware : Netusbee Lite
I tried with uipV43.tos and uip.tos : Same problem (wihch one is the good one ? I guess "43" is for Falcon 30...).
The only other thing plugged in my STE is an Ultrasatan.

Thanks for you help.
Edit : found the reason why : 1MB RAM is too low.
Last edited by Marsupilami on Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
https://atarinside.dyndns.org :
Atari 800XL in Europe France/Italy/Benelux/Deutschland/UK White & Silver plastic boxes
Dumps, Videos, Books, reference list / High resolution pictures of the Atari 800 XL motherboards
Atari 800XL French press Review

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:29 am

sqward wrote:The code is out there in Bitbucket.

Can you please write some sentences about rebuilding from source? The atarid application (the web UI) wants to include some files from jqwidgets, which, as I found out, is a commercial HTML and Javascript UI framework. There's an evaluation version available, though; but I wonder which version of jqwidgets is required to compile a working uip-tool.

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Postby mikro » Sat Jun 02, 2018 8:42 am

czietz wrote:
sqward wrote:The code is out there in Bitbucket.

Can you please write some sentences about rebuilding from source? The atarid application (the web UI) wants to include some files from jqwidgets, which, as I found out, is a commercial HTML and Javascript UI framework. There's an evaluation version available, though; but I wonder which version of jqwidgets is required to compile a working uip-tool.

It's even worse. Not only you have to register for download, in the end it's useless. You need jqwidgets 3.2.0 (maybe some other 3.x will work too but definitely not the latest one) which is quite tricky to find / download.

Fortunately, as I have gone that whole path, you can download it from my fork: https://bitbucket.org/mikro_sk/uip-tools/src/master/

czietz
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby czietz » Sat Jun 02, 2018 9:28 am

mikro wrote:Fortunately, as I have gone that whole path, you can download it from my fork: https://bitbucket.org/mikro_sk/uip-tools/src/master/

Thank you! That saves much valuable time that I'd otherwise have needed to find and try different versions of jqwidgets.

ranix
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby ranix » Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:44 pm

hey thanks for this utility. I used it a few times and it's been great

It won't work on an STFM with 1 meg of ram and an ultrasatan, out of memory, but it will work with 4 megs

Social Media

Return to “Applications”