All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Upgrades+fixes on my GEM applications

Postby Rajah Lone » Sat Apr 06, 2013 8:51 pm

Litchi 1.2D: blog or directly
- add: in display options, windows can be linked (*) if mode is not free.
- new: error message in console if PORT command is refused (Active mode not supported by FTP server).
- new: error message in console when download ends if one file (or more) in the list was downloaded incomplete.
- new: if not url is set, mouse click on ftp site pop-up opens url dialog.
- add: in conflict filename dialog, 'same choice' for the next conflicts (Thanks m0n0).

(*) convenient for larges screens, at least on my FireBee configuration.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:35 pm

First, all my supported gem applications have been updated, due to a problem in iconified window under MyAES. If you use MyAES with iconification ; Litchi, Crésus, KK Commander, Joe, Meg, Iphigénie and Troll have now correct display (at least on my Aranym configuration).

On more thing, in details:

KKcmd 1.5D: blog or directly
- fix: display in some dialogs (strings "fffff..." or "aaaaa...."). The RSC saved with ResourceMaster had a problem in its preferences (TEDINFO with pvalid shortened).
- fix: display in iconified window under MyAES.

Crésus 1.2C: blog or directly
- fix: Return key works in date+time setting dialog.
- fix: cosmetic changes in the ressource for XaAES.
- fix: display in iconified window under MyAES.

Troll 1.4: blog or directly
- add: MIME support, for multiparts mails and attachments managment. in the message windows, new buttons:
-> for reading: the left arrow button shows email structure and the parts. some parts can be mouse simple/double-clicked to extract/show directly the file. An AV server is strongly advised.
-> for writing: the bottom arrow button opens a pop-up to add or remove attachments.
- add: forwarding a message will make it as attachment ("message/rfc822") in the new awaiting mail.
- add: *.eml (emails) and *.pst (posts) can be load from disk and displayed in solo mode, independently of a mailbox or newsgroup. Use the menu entry "Open a message" or Control+O or the files associations in your desk (link *.EML and *.PST to TROLL.PRG).
- add: you can force the file saving of your edited awaiting message with the Control+S key.
- del: external email client management is removed. Clicked email addresses are now managed internaly.
- chg: in the awaiting messages list: size in KiloBytes is replaced by the number of attachments.
- fix: titles in the fileselector.
- fix: in the quoted-printable decoding.
- fix: HTML links detection (for "text/html" part display).
- add: some characters combinations for UTF-8 decoding.
- fix: bad display in the iconified windows under MyAES (no title/move bar).
- fix: in the Folders window, display of number of not read messages.

Troll email part is a bit less "basic". Next on the roadmap : other recipients for mails to send (Cc: Bcc: ...), IMAP support...
Work will resume after a little pause: DGEM needs a pause function.
Last edited by Rajah Lone on Mon Jun 17, 2013 9:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:42 am

Rajah Lone wrote:Troll email part is a bit less "basic". Next on the roadmap : other recipients for mails to send (Cc: Bcc: ...), IMAP support...
Work will resume after a little pause: DGEM needs a pause function.

Glad to see you are still working on Troll. I've tried the new version and I noticed there is no threading of the emails, like there is with messages in the newsgroup part. Is this something you intend to work on? Such as it is now it makes it difficult to follow discussions on mailing lists, for example.

The newsgroup messages threading is pretty good, by the way. It's always been a strong feature of Troll.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:30 am

jfl wrote:I noticed there is no threading of the emails, like there is with messages in the newsgroup part.

This was intended. At start, I planned it also for the emails, but something stopped me: you have to mix the emails you sent and the emails you received in the same box/folder to build a thread view. I don't think it's suitable to show sent mails in your local 'incoming' box.

It seems ThunderBird don't propose a thread view for emails, I've seen it only for the search function. If you encountered emails client that use thread for emails, please tell me. Snapshots will be welcomed, because I don't see how it could be managed.

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:50 am

Rajah Lone wrote:
jfl wrote:I noticed there is no threading of the emails, like there is with messages in the newsgroup part.

This was intended. At start, I planned it also for the emails, but something stopped me: you have to mix the emails you sent and the emails you received in the same box/folder to build a thread view. I don't think it's suitable to show sent mails in your local 'incoming' box.

Absolutely. This has to be done on a folder basis. Gmail does mix sent/received emails in its threading, but I don't particularly care for that feature. I find it confusing.
Rajah Lone wrote:If you encountered emails client that use thread for emails, please tell me. Snapshots will be welcomed, because I don't see how it could be managed.

I'm attaching a snapshot of KMail, which shows collapsed and closed threads, all in the "sent" folder. I've been using KMail for so long now that I struggle to use anything else nowadays.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Mon Jun 17, 2013 8:37 pm

Apple Mail does it pretty well. Outlook does it (not quite so well).

Problem comes when people reply to an email but change the subject to something new. I've not yet used a mail app that copes with this.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:23 pm

Thanks JFL and Dal.

So an emails thread gather only sent OR received mails. That should be possible if the Referrer-ID value includes the last and penultimate mail-ID values. If not, link may rely on the subject/title value. The main difficulty is to relink the mail when you move it in another box ; the tree will be broken is an element/email is moved somewhere else and missing.

On the roadmap, before or after IMAP4.

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:16 pm

I'm yet to find an application that does it properly. Apple Mail probably comes closest but it's not infalible.

Outlook works fine, it keeps track of all emails related to a thread even if you start moving individual emails into different folders. For me it breaks if you have just one email in a folder somewhere as you don't get the 'thread summary' item unless you have >=2 emails of the same subject in the same folder.

To work, you need a lightweight (very lightweight in the case of Atari) database. This should be a catalogue of pointers (to actual messages) augmented with pertinent information like subject or referrer-ID. Then you should have something that you can build an interface on.
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Mon Aug 12, 2013 12:44 am

Iphigénie 1.4E: blog or directly
- chg: usage of AES extensions for internal menu (WF_MENU with wind_set()).
- fix: use of AES graf_mouse() instead of VDI for hide/show mouse cursor.

Meg 1.3C: blog or directly
- chg: usage of AES extensions for internal menu (WF_MENU with wind_set()).
- fix: corrections in RSC file for XaAES.
- fix: use of AES graf_mouse() instead of VDI for hide/show mouse cursor.

Troll 1.5: blog or directly
- add: multiple recipients for emails to send.
Extended form-dialog for several email addresses (To: Cc: Bcc:).
Use the "+" button to add, "Return" key to add a blank line, "Backspace" key to remove a blank line.
- add: "Reply to all" and "Reply to the (mailing-)list" in the functions available in the message window.
- add: emails are sent with all previous Message-ID in the References field.
- add: sort functions (none, recipient, subject, date, size) or treeview for local mail folders.
- add: sort functions (none, subject, date, size) for sent mail folder.
- add: German translation by Lars SCHMIDBAUER.
- add: draft state in awaiting window appears in light gray color (if screenmode >= 16 colors).
- add: new states for messages icons: mutilpart/mixed =attachments (yellow clip), and forwarded (blue arrow)
- add: "@" button in the message window, with better recipients display and enhanced addresses collect.
- add: in the misc options, the Atari system Date and Time can be set using the timestamp given by the NNTP server (don't forget the GMT shift in the display options).
- FIX: changing the treeview<>sequence display was wronly deleting emails headers.
- FIX: reload the databases if the WORK folder is changed.
- fix: problem at authentification (SMTP after POP3).
- fix: very small attached files were not analysed.
- fix: if encoding conversion for Atari was disabled, the quoted-printable conversion wasn't done.
- fix: same post in the newsgroup wasn't reloaded correctly (when cache is not used).
- fix: text editor window topped with delay, after awaiting messages window.
- fix: manipulating directly (top, ontop, close) awaiting and headers windows wasn't echoed in the selection in the main window.
- fix: headers in sent mailbox were not updated in a new mail was created from here.
- fix: if not configuration file, the main window is opened automaticaly (first time, for beginners).
- fix: removed unnecessary redraws when swapping between awaiting and headers windows.
- fix: mouse cursor hide/show with AES GRAF_MOUSE function instead of VDI v_hide/show_c.

Many thanks to Lars SCHMIDBAUER, for his German translation, his many tests and precise reports.

For the troll, next on the roadmap are IMAP support, and WORK folder contents backup into .ZIP file (like in Crésus).

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:27 am

Rajah Lone wrote:Litchi 1.2D: blog or directly
- add: in display options, windows can be linked (*) if mode is not free.

I hadn't tried this feature yet and I must say I'm impressed because it works surprisingly well. Even resizing the console window correctly updates the other 2 windows. It makes the lack of multi-panel windows in the AES somewhat irrelevant, even though it's more work for the coder -- but we're used to this.

I'd love to see this feature added to Troll, but I suspect it would be more complicated.
Also, I thought drag&drop didn't work but I was wrong. Litchi is certainly the best FTP client there is now for this platform :cheers:
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:30 pm

jfl wrote:I hadn't tried this feature yet and I must say I'm impressed because it works surprisingly well.

This feature exists also in KK Commander (where even the columns widths are twin/combined). I like it and it's convenient on large screens.

jfl wrote:I'd love to see this feature added to Troll, but I suspect it would be more complicated.

Not very complicated, but the windows don't have the same contents. So this feature is here less relevant.

jfl wrote:Litchi is certainly the best FTP client there is now for this platform

Thank you :)

fVDISnap 1.1: blog or directly
- add: method using v_get_pixel() for pixels packed "chunky" video modes such as the 256 colors one on the FireBee. Perhaps it's working for the 256c of the ATI RageIIc. This method is slow and generates a TGA image instead of GIF, but it seems to work OK.
- add: IMG module for save monochrome screenmode on the FireBee.

Attention : fVDISnap is an accessory, but under MiNT, you should start it if needed and manualy after the desk is loaded. That's why the ACX extension is used.

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:26 am

rajah wrote:
jfl wrote:I'd love to see this feature added to Troll, but I suspect it would be more complicated.

Not very complicated, but the windows don't have the same contents. So this feature is here less relevant.

Sure, but when you move the Troll application around the desktop you actually have to move 3-4 windows, which is a bit annoying.
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:23 pm

jfl wrote:Sure, but when you move the Troll application around the desktop you actually have to move 3-4 windows, which is a bit annoying.

I thought iconification or application-masquing or window-masquing were enough... You're right, so OK -> on the TODO-list.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:41 pm

My website is located in my ISP account, but it suxx really: PHP is very slow and now MySQL is down again (everybody is in holiday so noone to fix the issue).

So I have migrated my blog and files at : http://ptonthat.fr

For direct links concerning my applications :
http://ptonthat.fr/category/atari-applications/
http://ptonthat.fr/category/atari-librairies/
I hope all archives are OK.

I'll try to install redirections from the old site. Who can relink http://rajah.atari.org to http://ptonthat.fr/ ?
Sorry for the inconvenience.

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Sun Oct 06, 2013 5:14 pm

Troll 1.6: blog or directly
- add: IMAP support
sereval IMAP servers, but only one connection.
connection is kept alive and new messages are automaticaly detected.
2 authentifications methods available (LOGIN, AUTH=PLAIN).
all mailboxes are listed (no subscriptions), displayed with parentage, some names are translated (INBOX, TRASH).
can create, rename, delete mailboxes (for child mailbox, select the parent first, then add a distant mailbox).
headers list is fetched at mailbox selection. If this list exceeds a limit, then the headers are fetch only if displayed.
headers list can be sorted if small, and filtered with criterias. Control+F key to open the filtering formular, Esc to exit it.
local message can be imported in the mailbox.
distant message can be moved to another IMAP mailbox (same server).
cache can be used for messages downloaded from the mailbox.
deleted distant message is first moved to Trash mailbox.
Empty function to delete all messages in the Trash mailbox.
NB: Troll filters doesn’t apply yet on IMAP mailboxes (filters managment has to be rewrited).
- chg: Offline mode is relocated as item in the menu.
- add: +2 SMTP authentifications methods (AUTH LOGIN, AUTH PLAIN).
- add: backup for database and messages (to .ZIP file, deflate.ldg needed).
- add: display option: linked mode for the windows (like in Litchi).
- add: German date format.
- add: saving datas before changing WORK folder. (tip: changing WORK folder could be considered as changing profile).
- add: «-- » line before signature. The user don’t have to add it himself.
- add: iso-8859-2 to atari charset conversion (many accents removed, sorry).
- fix: «left arrow» button was enabled evenif message was not multipart.
- fix: final dot at end of messages is no more displayed.
- chg: servers and newsgroups icons.
- chg: extended treeview in main window, moving up/down items more easily.
- fix: some pop-ups has no more disabled items.
- fix: 2 nullbytes instead of CRLF at end of exported/stored messages.
- fix: column could be truncated if line selected (when a column was masked).
- fix: additionnal bytes when extracting files from message, nullbytes when decoding strings (Base64 end detection error).
- fix: formulars for new NNTP, POP3, SMTP or IMAP server weren’t prefilled.
- fix: crash if message uses LF only as endline.
- fix: urls containing underscores weren’t highlighted correctly sometimes.
- fix: SMTP and attached files under monoTOS.

Thanks to Lars SCHMIDBAUER, Mathias WITTAU and Jean-François LEMAIRE.

Note: LDG.PRG is needed to add LDGM cookie for GFA-coded programs to access to LDG files. LDG.PRG is still not compatible for MiNT's Memory Protection.

I will resume work on the Troll mid-November. IMAP enhancements are planned (multiple selection of messages headers, drag'n'drop, multi-TCP chanels to avoid to close IMAP connection while using STMP or Usenet, etc) as well as authentifications based on MD5 algorithm (via a LDG library).

Voilà.

m0n0
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby m0n0 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:48 pm

I just tested it with my Firebee, Great work Rajah! :)

I'm using it with IMAP and that seems to work well. However, I can not set my SMTP server auth, because it looks like TROLL requires an "@" chracter to be within the username. (The textfield also doesn't say "username" but "address").

My provider does not use the email address as username for SMTP auth! :)

Another thing I noticed: scrolling could be improved when using IMAP ;)

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:16 pm

m0n0 wrote:My provider does not use the email address as username for SMTP auth!

Sorry about that. This field is clearly for an address (used in the SMTP transaction as FROM: value). I should add a login field (if possible) in the next version.
m0n0 wrote:Another thing I noticed: scrolling could be improved when using IMAP

If the IMAP folder has many emails, only the last 50 emails headers are fetched. Others headers are fetched when they need to be displayed. So when scrolling 1 by 1, it takes the time to fetch 1 header by 1. If all has been loaded, no more fetch, it's like a cache.
The limit to know if it's worth to load all the headers is set in the MISC_IMAP_FETCH_ALL_HEADERS_LIMIT (or something like that) in the CFG file. 100 by default, you can edit it and set from 100 to 1000.
I will work on more ergonomic methods (ie fetch silently when no action ?) in the next version. But the good practice is not to fetch all for the IMAP server not to be overloaded.

m0n0
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby m0n0 » Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:46 pm

I will work on more ergonomic methods (ie fetch silently when no action ?) in the next version. But the good practice is not to fetch all for the IMAP server not to be overloaded.

What about this idea:

Start fetching the needed headers when the user has stopped scrolling (mouse button up).

m0n0
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby m0n0 » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:48 pm

What about this idea:

Start fetching the needed headers when the user has stopped scrolling (mouse button up).

I'm sorry :) I forgot that XaAES has an option for real time sliding. The grumpy scrolling that I see only happens with realtime
sliding and of course without realtime sliding it works more convenient. (You can use the right mouse button for scrolling, which doesn't trigger realtime sliding, it only send Slider message to the window when the button is released)

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:58 pm

Meg 1.3D : blog or directly
- fix: log file was filled with bad content.
- fix: editable fields disabled/enabled in Filters editor window.
- fix: work-around for MiNT, to launch the mail client in the iconified window, top this window and press space.
- new: German translation.

Thanks to Lars SCHMIDBAUER.

Troll 1.6B : blog or directly
- chg: size and maxblocks values in memory managment, to support huge mailboxes.
- fix: in pop-ups, select the correct item if > 20th in the list.
- fix: create CACHE folder if doesn’t exist or if its path is only in partition root.
- fix: redraw selected text, when message window isn’t on top.
Recipients:
- fix: Reply-To Mailing-List enabled if « List-post » header found.
- fix: can now reply to one, all, mailing-list from a sent email.
- fix: answering to all recipients could have replied email with blank recipients.
IMAP4:
- add: several tcp-chanels to keep IMAP connection active with SMTP and NNTP (IMAP closed if POP3 on same domain).
- add: appending sent mails to imap sentbox (if « \Sent » flag found for this mailbox).
- add: press Control key while selecting an IMAP mailbox forces to fetch all headers (with sort functions enabled).
- add: folders are sorted (still problems with special characters).
- fix: set \Answered flag (and \Forwarded flag if possible) to IMAP replied or forwarded message.
- fix: read IMAP folder names with several features, detecting \Draft \Trash \Sent and \Junk boxes.
- fix: blank subjects and recipients in headers list (on some servers).
- fix: in IMAP header filtering, the From and Contents fields didn’t enable the Filter button.
- fix: detect automaticaly IMAP new messages also in other mailboxes than INBOX.
POP3:
- fix: detection of POP3 end responses (for example, deletion was very slow).
- fix: safer POP3 message deletion (after all is retreived, and from last to start in the list).
SMTP:
- add: SMTP server setting with true Login field. If Login is not your email addresse, then set with the Identity selector.
- add: Message-ID field created by Troll and not by server.
- fix: sent-mails with GMT date and not TOS date.
- fix: crash before SMTP negociation if local sentbox wasn’t created by the user.
- fix: remove final dot if attached file is message/rfc822 (*.eml)
In the internal editor:
- fix: Drag’n'Drop Atari Protocol functions (ARGS and .TXT datatypes).
- add: drag’n'drop files from desktop (ARGS) to the edited text to add new attachments.
- add: drag’n'drop text (.TXT) to the edited text.
- add: misc options, words wrapping and reformat pasted text.
- fix: automatic scroll at bottom when typing text or return.
- fix: change line with left and right arrows.
- chg: delete block text with keyboard character other than delete.
- fix: text cursor position lost after block text deselection or delete.
- fix: block functions.

Thanks to Lars SCHMIDBAUER, Mathias WITTAU, Lodovico ZANIER, Guillaume TELLO.

Sorry about Drag'n'Drop and multiple selection in IMAP folders. Priorities have changed. SSL/TLS and STARTTLS support is needed quickly, so I will work on an openssl.ldg. At least, try to implement SSL. No promises of success.

Voilà

m0n0
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby m0n0 » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:33 am

Sorry about Drag'n'Drop and multiple selection in IMAP folders. Priorities have changed. SSL/TLS and STARTTLS support is needed quickly, so I will work on an openssl.ldg. At least, try to implement SSL. No promises of success.

Did you have a look at polarssl? It probably gives you enough and it is much more easy to port to atari C compilers and also targeted at embedded devices. It's also very modular, so that you only have to compile the code that you really need. It's no problem to create an AHCC project for some simple encryption methods - however, the async encryption methods require some more work, I can't remember why, but probably it was the random data generator...

You should have a look: http://polarssl.org/

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:44 am

@m0n0 : you already advised me polarssl, and I did have a look at this library. I'll have surely more looks at it.

OpenSSL:
- libssl.a and libcrypto.a for 68k, 020-060 and ColdFire already made, I have just to put the .h and .a files in the /opt/cross-mint/m68k-atari-mint/... folders.
- easy to use, understandable, and found everywhere.
- I found the c sources of cabssl.ovl and the study is easy and clear. Frankly, I could not do it without these sources.

PolarSSL:
- no .a files for 68k, 020-060, ColdFire: I have to compile it from scratches. I'm a GFA coder, gcc is not my cup of tea, and it will take more time to build/make it. I have never managed to build a project from PureC (.PRJ file is a mystery to me). I tried to make a deflate.ldg from zlib sources on AHCC, but undestood nothing.
- there are examples and tests-tutorials, but after seeing them, I'm not sure how it's working with MiNTNet.

Yesterday evening, I managed to build a ssl.ldg file with gcc of the Philippe Donzé cross-compil pack, with -lldg -lssl -lcrypto.
Size: 1.3 Mo, and it was stripped (if not, 1.8 Mo), -Os, -fomit-framepointer. Reducing size is always a problem with gcc and MiNTLib. Since some crypto functions are needed, there will be a merged openssl.ldg, not separated ssl and crypto lib.
So PolarSSL is still an option, if I have spare time.

For now: to have SSL support, I see MiNTNet only (ie can't with STinG, perhaps with Magixnet if compatible enough) and enough power and RAM (TT with RAM, Falcon CT60, FireBee).

jfl
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby jfl » Tue Dec 17, 2013 2:16 pm

Rajah Lone wrote:Yesterday evening, I managed to build a ssl.ldg file with gcc of the Philippe Donzé cross-compil pack, with -lldg -lssl -lcrypto. Size: 1.3 Mo, and it was stripped (if not, 1.8 Mo), -Os, -fomit-framepointer. Reducing size is always a problem with gcc and MiNTLib.

Rajah, you might be interested by this article by Nokturnal, if you don't know it already: http://bus-error.nokturnal.pl/tiki-read ... ticleId=12
Jean-François
GEMDict – GEMClip

Rajah Lone
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Rajah Lone » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:48 pm

@JFL : thanks, but I already know it and tried different tips. But no real effect on size.
PolarSSL is lighter than OpenSSL, I may try to build a polarssl.ldg with gcc, but I really don't know after if it will use MiNTNet.

Eero Tamminen
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Eero Tamminen » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:47 pm

Rajah Lone wrote:Yesterday evening, I managed to build a ssl.ldg file with gcc of the Philippe Donzé cross-compil pack, with -lldg -lssl -lcrypto.
Size: 1.3 Mo, and it was stripped (if not, 1.8 Mo), -Os, -fomit-framepointer. Reducing size is always a problem with gcc and MiNTLib. Since some crypto functions are needed, there will be a merged openssl.ldg, not separated ssl and crypto lib.

If you want to reduce size, recompiling MiNTlib itself with "-Os" would probably help more (e.g. for all the non-performance critical printf support functions that get linked to MiNTlib binaries).

I think it would be better to compile SSL crypto functions with "-O2" as with current GCC, "-Os" now really optimizes for size [1], not speed, and I think people would appreciate speed in crypto functions.

[1] I think this focus really changed in Gcc 4.x. GCC 2.x produces faster code with -Os than GCC 4.x, but GCC 4.x produces smaller code. With -O[123] newer gcc versions produce faster code than GCC 2.x.

Social Media

Return to “Applications”