Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

mikro
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Geneva

Postby mikro » Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:04 am

ryan wrote:
tenox wrote:
ryan wrote:What about getting the source code up on Github? I donated money thinking that was a goal. Release process may have moved quicker with more hands involved. If there is no intent on open sourcing, I frankly wouldn't mind my money back.

This will eventually happen, however Dan wants to first clean up some of the code and release a freeware binary version.

If he released it we could have all pitched in to clean it up by this point.

Indeed. I'm very much afraid that at one point he realises it's too big task or that he simply doesn't have time / mood for it and release it raw as is. With the difference that the community had to wait a few weeks / months / years more for it.

tenox
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby tenox » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:31 am

mikro wrote:Indeed. I'm very much afraid that at one point he realises it's too big task or that he simply doesn't have time / mood for it and release it raw as is. With the difference that the community had to wait a few weeks / months / years more for it.

I am trying to pitch it to him. I'm even trying to release the build that I have as a beta before he does a full thing.

viking272
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby viking272 » Mon Jan 22, 2018 10:48 am

Tenox, an option could be you ask Dan to release binaries and source on a day, eg 28 Feb, and what is done gets released and what is not gets added to later releases.

I appreciate it's tough to release source if you have more plans for features etc. For instance I'm not sure how one would still maintain the control, road map and feature set if someone else takes the code and wants to work in isolation working to their own agenda and releasing their versions?

Bikerbob
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby Bikerbob » Mon Jan 22, 2018 7:15 pm

Hello all, I signed up as well, I have Geneva release 6 1997 running with Neodesk4 release 5 1996. Runs great as far as I can tell except I cannot save any of my settings, I get and 11 bomb error.

Any change someone knows what thats about.. no mention of possible issues in the manual, so not sure where to go. It does write a file, because if I reload neodesk it now says the file is the incorrect format, and reloads defaults, just like if there was no file at all.

Maybe Neodesk 4 release 6 is not a good one? anyone have a different neodesk 4?

James

leech
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby leech » Thu Jan 25, 2018 12:19 am

viking272 wrote:Tenox, an option could be you ask Dan to release binaries and source on a day, eg 28 Feb, and what is done gets released and what is not gets added to later releases.

I appreciate it's tough to release source if you have more plans for features etc. For instance I'm not sure how one would still maintain the control, road map and feature set if someone else takes the code and wants to work in isolation working to their own agenda and releasing their versions?

All depends on what license it is. If it's something like GPL, there is a forced sharing of code, at least if someone plans on distributing it. Also, clearly you can set up a system around a code base so you have someone be the leadership, open source projects do it all the time.
Atari 8Bits: 800xl, 600xl, XEGS, 800, 130xe, 130xe (fully upgraded (soon!))
Atari STs: 1040STf (broken shifter), 1040STe, Mega STe, TT030, Falcon (CT60e, SuperVidel)

ryan

Postby ryan » Thu Feb 01, 2018 9:40 pm

Setting up on GitHub with a GPL type license would be in keeping with what EmuTOS, etc. have done. Change management can happen using Git and GitHub pull requests.

It'd be great to have this stuff preserved for prosperity in a place everyone can look at it, anyways.

Even the Apple Lisa OS sources are going open source these days. Commodore 64 GEOS sources were reversere engineered and opened. Lots of classic stuff.

tenox
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby tenox » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:23 am

Stay tuned for an update hopefully this weekend!

Estrayk
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Estrayk » Sat Feb 10, 2018 12:49 am

tenox wrote:Stay tuned for an update hopefully this weekend!

Very very good news !!! :cheers:
・Falcon 030+FPU 14mb CosmosEX・Atari MegaSTE 4Mb CosmosEX・Atari STe 4Mb GotekHxC+Satan・Amiga A600 Vampire V2・Amiga A1200 030/50・MIST・

Social Media

Return to “Applications”