Which version of cubase should i use?

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Re: Which version of cubase should i use?

Postby Shredder11 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 9:28 pm

charles wrote:
can't find any one who wants to make midi based music together
tho'????? what am i doing wrong?

charles

Nothing personal it is just that I view MIDI files as a convenient tool for making backing tracks for covers bands / duos etc. However I hate doing that and prefer to write my own music, and I only have MIDI instruments in my compositions that I do not play or own; the rest I play and record myself such as guitars, keys and vocals (I am poo at vocals but I do prefer to finish the song completely). MIDI without real instruments involved is a real turn off, although I do appreciate there are people out there who write purely electronic forms of music which is fine, as even that is far removed from what a cheesy MIDI file is.

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:12 pm

you must have bad gear ,
midi is a protocol compared to lets say a recording ....

midi is just a light weight shell that holds musical value as data ,

,if you have some real deecent synthesizer or sound module then
desired results will be obtained ,,

counter-acting

it also takes time and expertise to understand your midi devices ,most apend to manufacturers midi implementation....
which all differ

at this moment we are way off topic ,,,the guy wants cubase midi sequencer for atari and probally doesn't care what u like or dislike about the nature of our art ..

charles
atari is my lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! !,
Im printing unreadable characters ...!

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:48 pm

charles wrote:you must have bad gear ,
charles

Excuse me! I do not have bad gear...quite the opposite infact, and I also have been using MIDI since the 1980s and fully understand how to use it, including System Exclusive data etc. I have heard some of the most expertly programmed MIDI files but you can always tell they are just that. Anyway wherever I can I prefer to play each track and instrument as a live performance, you know....like a real musician would! ;) I like to use the Match Quantise function in the Atari Cubase, so the quantise 'feel' is based upon my own live playing, rather than some machine like thing. Also when I had hardware digital Fostex multitrackers, I used a combination of Yamaha MU100R modules, a custom designed Cubase Mixer for the Fostex multitrack recorder to fully automate the audio tracks going from the multitrack into the MU100Rs. After that this was fed into a sub mixer and on to the DAT recorder and then CD recorder. Apart from realtime MIDI performance, I can also do step edit composition but this is long and laborious and not recommended, particularly if you do progressive rock/metal forms of music as I do. Basically if you want a lot of feel in your music, well play it live and if you make a mistake...do it again!

So yes I do know the power of MIDI and how excellent some MIDI files can be, but if I had to choose between a real band incorporating MIDI or just a MIDI file on its own it would be a no brainer........the real band wins! I have to question why on earth you choose to only use MIDI files? Teaching yourself how MIDI works and creating tracks is no big deal, whereas having a gift for music and then working hard to fully exploit that talent is much harder; couple that with learning various difficult instruments like the guitar, piano or violin is on a whole different level to learning MIDI and MIDI files! If you have not already done so, I would go and learn an instrument properly like the guitar and then return here with your new found perspective on music creation. Good luck...you will need it, with your blinkered musical MIDI file vision! :lol:

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:54 pm

By the way to everyone else on the forum who is not used to seeing me vent my spleen on here, this has been boiling up inside me for a few years now. I like everyone else have chosen to hold my tongue and just ignore Charles' MIDI file obsessed posts, often tainted with personal abuse towards others here. So I apologise in advance if I have over stepped the mark, but oh...how I needed to get this out of my system! :x

Anyway onwards and upwards, business as usual trying to be friendly and helpful towards the forum. :cheers:

charles
10 GOTO 10
10 GOTO 10

Postby charles » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:00 pm

like i said shredder off topic he wants sequencer for atari ..

but relating to your post
this is the music i come close to duplicating

[url]
http://rs1.radiostreamer.com:8030/listen.pls
[/url]

listen only saturday between 7-12 pm

i especially like the ideal of mixing , exchanging , and employing different midi tracks with different midi songs,, not exploiting ,but consenting a dynamic music meld.......creaTING many passages of music from the data of mearily one song!!!

anyhow this is all i can say because i am off topic too.

bye
charles
atari is my lifestyle,not a hobby.
HOLD ON ! ! !,
Im printing unreadable characters ...!

Dal
Administrator
Administrator

Postby Dal » Sat Apr 30, 2011 11:39 pm

Shredder11 wrote:
charles wrote:you must have bad gear ,
charles

Excuse me! I do not have bad gear...quite the opposite infact, and I also have been using MIDI since the 1980s and fully understand how to use it, including System Exclusive data etc. I have heard some of the most expertly programmed MIDI files but you can always tell they are just that. Anyway wherever I can I prefer to play each track and instrument as a live performance, you know....like a real musician would! ;) I like to use the Match Quantise function in the Atari Cubase, so the quantise 'feel' is based upon my own live playing, rather than some machine like thing. Also when I had hardware digital Fostex multitrackers, I used a combination of Yamaha MU100R modules, a custom designed Cubase Mixer for the Fostex multitrack recorder to fully automate the audio tracks going from the multitrack into the MU100Rs. After that this was fed into a sub mixer and on to the DAT recorder and then CD recorder. Apart from realtime MIDI performance, I can also do step edit composition but this is long and laborious and not recommended, particularly if you do progressive rock/metal forms of music as I do. Basically if you want a lot of feel in your music, well play it live and if you make a mistake...do it again!

So yes I do know the power of MIDI and how excellent some MIDI files can be, but if I had to choose between a real band incorporating MIDI or just a MIDI file on its own it would be a no brainer........the real band wins! I have to question why on earth you choose to only use MIDI files? Teaching yourself how MIDI works and creating tracks is no big deal, whereas having a gift for music and then working hard to fully exploit that talent is much harder; couple that with learning various difficult instruments like the guitar, piano or violin is on a whole different level to learning MIDI and MIDI files! If you have not already done so, I would go and learn an instrument properly like the guitar and then return here with your new found perspective on music creation. Good luck...you will need it, with your blinkered musical MIDI file vision! :lol:

From one 'real' musician to another, I completely agree with everything said here.

Nowadays, I only use midi for some keyboard parts, percussion, guide drum tracks oh and with my mixtab (a small 8ch midi mixing desk). I always quantise manually so as not to lose feel where I deliberately want to be 'behind' or 'ahead' of the beat. Guitar and bass is always played live as well as drums (when I have the luxury of a drummer and the use of a proper live room). Brass is either really cheesy synth brass (for that 80's vibe) or real brass played by friends (I never learned brass/woodwind).

I can only imagine Charles is working on Dance/Techno/Electro etc type music perhaps? Maybe there are people who wish to collaborate on this kind of work. If so, I suggest Charles starts a new post with a rough idea of his track rather than take this thread more OT... :)
Mega"SST" 12, MegaSTE, STE: Desktopper case, IDE interface, UltraSatan (8GB + 512Mb) + HXC floppy emulator. Plus some STE's/STFM's

tamprecision
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby tamprecision » Sun May 01, 2011 1:59 am

howdy again folks

did i start something? :lol:

i appreciate all responses even esoteric off topic ones, its all good to me!

To be fair i went a bit off topic meself with talk of formatting floppies etc...........

the cubase question is well and truly resolved but the question of general midi's minions versus "real" music may rage on

my tupencehapennysworth is that its all good, real music is good and robot electronic music is also good, depends what mood your in

i'm open to collabs but i dont have that much freetime tbh

I will however be pestering this forum for advices and infos as im in the process of preparing my "atari deathstar system" in order to take it into the studio

you will hear many more noob questions from me im afraid.

Im better at cutting up breakbeats and editing controller data than i am at configuring SD cards on my ultrasatan

(im currently trying to read the entire forum...........!)

So thanks again for all on and off topic input!
Atari STE 4mb + usatan + ICD link
Emagic Unitor C + 2, Export, log 3, Combiner, Human touch
Steinberg Midex, Midex+, SMP24
Soundpool MO4, Hybridarts SMPTEmate Plus
AKAI S6000 S3000 S950 MPC2000 JUNO 60 SH101

tamprecision
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby tamprecision » Sun May 01, 2011 2:15 am

Also Charles i notice you use hybridarts edit track, i bought a SMPTE mate plus from ebay but have yet to get it going

Im basically trying to set up what i perceive as the main sequencers for atari so i can work out which one i like the best

if you have time please tell me a bit about edit track and why you like it? Im mostly making dance music and use a lot of cycle record and controllers

Im mostly interested in the tightness of the midi

And @mal7921 thanks for the command line trickery, i think the problem may be that im mostly using a mac which now doesnt have PC exchange

however i can use my girlfriends PC laptop so im going to try that now

tamprecision
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby tamprecision » Sun May 01, 2011 3:52 am

so im afraid mr mal that the command line trickery didnt work :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

it said "parameters not supported by drive" or "Invalid media or track ) bad - disk unusable"

maybe i should buy a diff usb floppy drive??

Mal7921
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mal7921 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:55 am

Which version of win-doze? The info I had was for xp but should work in vista or win 7.

I'm out today but will fire up the xp virtual system and have a look when I get home

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The collection:

Atari 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 520STfm
Atari STe
Atari Falcon, 14MB, 40GB IDE drive

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Sun May 01, 2011 12:55 pm

I tried the well known command line thing and it never worked for me with Win XP Pro. I tend to use Gemulator to format disks, or if I am working with disk image files I just let Floppy Image do it for me. I think the emulator SainT is meant to be able to use the floppy drive directly, but it does not work for me yet.

tamprecision
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby tamprecision » Sun May 01, 2011 2:52 pm

Hey Mal7921 i really appreciate your help

the PC i have access to runs windoze vista home, i fear perhaps thats the problem?

Thanks Shredder for the gemulator tip , google here i come......

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Sun May 01, 2011 4:33 pm

tamprecision
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby tamprecision » Sun May 01, 2011 6:32 pm

excellent links mr shredder, thank you

I will get my teeth into them later,

now i am going to the pub..... :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

tamprecision
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby tamprecision » Sun May 01, 2011 6:39 pm

Shredder11 wrote: I tend to use Gemulator to format disks,

so you format a floppy from gemulator which you can then put disk images onto from the net? which you can then put in the atari?

(sorry im a bit slow on the uptake with these things)

I just let Floppy Image do it for me.

i found various things called floppy image, which one do you mean pleasings?

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:09 pm

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:13 pm

If Ppera consents to it, maybe he would allow his main software utilities to be hosted on the excellent Atari ST Essential software (The List) website:

http://sites.google.com/site/stessential/

tamprecision
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby tamprecision » Sun May 01, 2011 10:29 pm

thanks shredder

musosnoop
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby musosnoop » Sun May 01, 2011 10:31 pm

Im interested to know which version you are going to use
have you decided?

tamprecision
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby tamprecision » Mon May 02, 2011 12:02 am

musosnoop wrote:Im interested to know which version you are going to use
have you decided?

its going to be legit 2.01 or legit 3.1 special edition as i have the dongles

However im also going to put notator logic thru its paces

I've only seen people moaning about Logic for atari but im willing to give it a whirl

I've basically been building up my atari setup for a year or so now.

The last piece of the puzzle has been transferring files between mac/pc and the atari

now im happy to say that thanks Mr Shredder i have just completed my first ever transfer from PC to the atari

THANKS SHREDDER, i've been struggling with this for a while..................

wongck
Ultimate Atarian
Ultimate Atarian

Postby wongck » Mon May 02, 2011 12:41 am

Shredder11 wrote:Hmmm Pperas website has gone again, but Google shows this cached link:

I just tried accessing it just now and it is still good.
Try this link here.
It has updates of less than a month old... :thumbs: keep up the good work Softist.
My Stuff: FB/Falcon CT63/CTPCI+ATI+RTL8139+USB 512MB 30GB HDD CF HxC_SD/ TT030 68882 4+32MB 520MB Nova/ 520STFM 4MB Tos206 SCSI
Shared SCSI Bus:ScsiLink ethernet, 9GB HDD,SD-reader @ http://phsw.atari.org
My Atari stuff for sale - click here for list

Shredder11
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby Shredder11 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:55 pm

tamprecision wrote:
have you decided?

The last piece of the puzzle has been transferring files between mac/pc and the atari

now im happy to say that thanks Mr Shredder i have just completed my first ever transfer from PC to the atari

You're welcome and I find Gemulator to be a very good addition to STeem, in that they are both very good at certain aspects of Atari emulation.

From what I know about Cubase it seems even people with legit versions and dongles, tend to put them on the shelf and use the cracked versions of v2.0 and v2.1 instead because they have better timing and are more reliable. I think the legit v3.01 and upwards work fine though, so Steinberg must have sorted it out by then.

Mal7921
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mal7921 » Mon May 02, 2011 4:10 pm

Shredder11 wrote:
tamprecision wrote:
have you decided?

You're welcome and I find Gemulator to be a very good addition to STeem, in that they are both very good at certain aspects of Atari emulation.

From what I know about Cubase it seems even people with legit versions and dongles, tend to put them on the shelf and use the cracked versions of v2.0 and v2.1 instead because they have better timing and are more reliable. I think the legit v3.01 and upwards work fine though, so Steinberg must have sorted it out by then.

That's true of version 2, though no truly reliable crack of v3 exists. I suppose someone could always have a go.

As for legit v3.1, I have the disks if anyone needs them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The collection:

Atari STe

tamprecision
Atari maniac
Atari maniac

Postby tamprecision » Tue May 03, 2011 2:03 am

Ok so to sum up it would appear that "the one" is v2 MCA crack or legit 3.1

thanks for the info about legit v2 not being up to it, this may have saved a lot of ball-ache!

Mal7921
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mal7921 » Tue May 03, 2011 8:04 pm

tamprecision wrote:Ok so to sum up it would appear that "the one" is v2 MCA crack or legit 3.1

thanks for the info about legit v2 not being up to it, this may have saved a lot of ball-ache!

That pretty much sums it up. I have the MSA 2.01 over at the Atari Music Network site and the 3.1 special edition disks (Assuming your red dongle is for Cubase) which I can zip up and email if need be
The collection:

Atari STe

Social Media

Return to “Applications”