Best atari computer for midi / cubase?

All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Best atari computer for midi / cubase?

Postby Atari74user » Thu May 10, 2012 6:09 pm

I like the cool fan idea, logical, never thought of that. To be fair, I don't have the guitar or vocal talents for this to be a real issue for me, however when I have, I too have made sure my Atari and hard drives are off. For all musicians and producers we all fear the dreaded hum. I would like an UltraSatan or two to tranfser data quietly between Falcon and ST, but I fear I have missed the boat, besides I don't really want to be on a waiting list either. One thing is for sure, all of our beloved Atari machines are the musician's computing classic.
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

Mal7921
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Best atari computer for midi / cubase?

Postby Mal7921 » Thu May 10, 2012 6:33 pm

If you want a machine for Midi, with some modification to eliminate noise, nothing in the Atari line can beat the TT. It has the speed and expandability that none of the others have combined. Add a graphics card and you will never have to scroll down the screen to access tracks and you will have all the real estate you will ever practically need.

For out of the box quietness, the mega STe is pretty quiet, so long as the old scsi drive had been replaced with something quieter (same issue as the TT due to older noisier hard drives).

The falcon is faster than the mega STe, but not by as much as it should be. I wrote an article on the speed merits over on www.atarimusic.net, though it should be noted that all three machines had noise from hard drives, but these can be overcome quite easily these days. Another article perhaps...
The collection:

Atari 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 520STfm
Atari STe
Atari Falcon, 14MB, 40GB IDE drive

Atari74user
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atari74user » Thu May 10, 2012 8:44 pm

The Atari TT is a fine machine, plenty of upgrades if you can find them. The best looking Atari machine in my opinion, always wanted one, but plumped for the Falcon instead. Although it is arguable that as time has moved on, the Falcon has been blessed with more support in terms of mods that offer far superior performance to any stock Atari, the CT63 springs to mind. However like all of these lovely mods, the hard part is finding these now, increasingly more difficult. Ataris are awesome right, I still enjoy using my STFM even though I have been using it for 24 years now, and it has never been assigned to the loft. The only time it falied me, is when I failed it, by trying to upgrade the memory to 4mb as a teenager :oops: Certainly the best Christmas present I ever had as a kid, although it came at a price because my dear belated father couldn't afford it, I had to sell my Atari 800XL :( I now can't wait to get the Falcon into action when I have the room.
Atari Falcon 14mb, 68882, Dual 8gb CF, Steinberg FDI & Analog 8
Atari Jaguar, Rotary controller, Skunkboard & Cat Box
Atari 520STFM 4mb, TOS 2.06 switcher, OverScan, GigaFile, PARCP-USB, Unicorn-USB, System Solutions MiniS HD, SyQuest drives, ICD Link II, PhatBoy MIDI Controller, Philip Rees 5M MIDI merge box, SoundPool MO4, Steinberg MIDEX, SMP II, Emagic Log 3, C-Lab Unitor 2, Combiner & Export expanders

Dark Willow
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Dark Willow » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:18 pm

Mal7921 wrote:If you want a machine for Midi, with some modification to eliminate noise, nothing in the Atari line can beat the TT. It has the speed and expandability that none of the others have combined. Add a graphics card and you will never have to scroll down the screen to access tracks and you will have all the real estate you will ever practically need.

For out of the box quietness, the mega STe is pretty quiet, so long as the old scsi drive had been replaced with something quieter (same issue as the TT due to older noisier hard drives).

The falcon is faster than the mega STe, but not by as much as it should be. I wrote an article on the speed merits over on http://www.atarimusic.net, though it should be noted that all three machines had noise from hard drives, but these can be overcome quite easily these days. Another article perhaps...

The only problem with the TT for audio work is that the two fans make it noisy, even with a quieter drive. If I get a chance over the summer I'm going to try replacing the fans on my one, and see if that helps. They are stock models so it should be easy enough. The Falcon is definitely more silent in stock form, but you loose a lot of flexibility too - and Falcons can be fickle beasts.
TT030, 10mb/16mb, 3.5" SCSI multi-card reader (2gb CF/512mb SD), Matrix TC1006 gfx card, EtherNEC, Epson GT scanner, VanillaMint | 1040STe, 4mb, TOS 1.62, MegaFile 60, SM125 | Lynx II | 800XL, 64k, 1050 disk drive, XC12 tape deck, MicroLink parallel adapter

PuppySoft:Projects & More

Mal7921
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mal7921 » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:12 pm

Dark Willow wrote:
Mal7921 wrote:If you want a machine for Midi, with some modification to eliminate noise, nothing in the Atari line can beat the TT. It has the speed and expandability that none of the others have combined. Add a graphics card and you will never have to scroll down the screen to access tracks and you will have all the real estate you will ever practically need.

The falcon is faster than the mega STe, but not by as much as it should be. I wrote an article on the speed merits over on http://www.atarimusic.net, though it should be noted that all three machines had noise from hard drives, but these can be overcome quite easily these days. Another article perhaps...

The only problem with the TT for audio work is that the two fans make it noisy, even with a quieter drive. If I get a chance over the summer I'm going to try replacing the fans on my one, and see if that helps. They are stock models so it should be easy enough. The Falcon is definitely more silent in stock form, but you loose a lot of flexibility too - and Falcons can be fickle beasts.

Would you consider writing something about swapping the fans in the TT?
The collection:

Atari 260ST, 520ST, 520ST+, 520STfm
Atari STe
Atari Falcon, 14MB, 40GB IDE drive

Dark Willow
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Dark Willow » Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:30 pm

Yea, of course. When I do it, I'll put a step by step up on my blog.
TT030, 10mb/16mb, 3.5" SCSI multi-card reader (2gb CF/512mb SD), Matrix TC1006 gfx card, EtherNEC, Epson GT scanner, VanillaMint | 1040STe, 4mb, TOS 1.62, MegaFile 60, SM125 | Lynx II | 800XL, 64k, 1050 disk drive, XC12 tape deck, MicroLink parallel adapter

PuppySoft:Projects & More

djlibra13
Atarian
Atarian

Postby djlibra13 » Sat Feb 06, 2016 5:13 am

yungjoon wrote:For midi/cubase only, I think the ultimate machine is the atari TT.

I have a TT (4/16 Mo) with 8 midi out (midex+ and mio4), cubase 3 and 4 Go internal scsi hdd. It is damn speed compare to my old config (1040 STe) !

I switched to the TT config because my falcon couldn't handle midex+ (correct me if I'm wrong).

Hi. I was wandering if you could tell me how your set up is working. I have exactly the same set up.
Can you help please. Also for the midextt driver

Tnx

Michel

yungjoon
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby yungjoon » Wed Feb 10, 2016 10:11 am

Sorry for my late reply.

My setup is working well, I added a CBX-D5 and cubase audio cbx.
What is your problem with midex tt?

Social Media

Return to “Applications”