All about the serious stuff.

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Moderator Team

Mr.JT
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Reading an Atari Compact Flash on Mac/Windows

Postby Mr.JT » Fri Mar 15, 2019 3:56 am

Hi

I'm trying to get software onto my STBook. It is modded with an Atari bootable compact flash for a hard drive, but the serial port seems entirely dead - I cannot get STTrans to register with anything...

But I could just take the CF out and plug it into a reader on my Mac / pc... But I've heard that might corrupt it? Is there a utility to read this on mac / windows (preferably Mac) or can I do this through an emulator?

Just want to copy some files into the CF's hard drive partitions (Including a better transfer program!!)

Thanks

JT
---------------------------------
14Mb 32MHz 4GB HD Falcon 030 with 19" LCD
STBook NOTEBOOK (!)
Atari Portfolio
2 x 4Mb STe
1 x STFM
Lynx
Jaguar and JagCD plus interesting prototype carts!

Bring on the retro!

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Re: Reading an Atari Compact Flash on Mac/Windows

Postby joska » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:17 am

Not sure about your Mac (I have little experience with modern Macs) but your Windows computer will not corrupt the card. I suggest you connect the card to your PC and image it, then mount the image as an IDE disk in Hatari. You can now copy files to the image using the TOS desktop. When done, write the image back to the card.
It's easier with Linux, since you can mount the card directly in Hatari. Maybe this works on the Mac too.
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Mr.JT
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr.JT » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:42 am

Thanks for the reply... One stupid question - how would I image it? And would the fact it has multiple partitions make any difference?
STBook NOTEBOOK (!)
Atari Portfolio
2 x 4Mb STe
1 x STFM
Lynx

Bring on the retro!

joska
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby joska » Fri Mar 15, 2019 12:26 pm

On Windows you would use a tool like WinImage (https://www.winimage.com/winimage.htm). There are probably similar tools for OSX but I guess the most commonly used tool for this would be dd (https://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/how-to-cr ... d-command/).
Jo Even

VanillaMiNT - Firebee - Falcon060 - Milan060 - Falcon040 - MIST - Mega ST - STM - STE - Amiga 600 - Sharp MZ700 - MSX - Amstrad CPC - C64

Mr.JT
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr.JT » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:35 pm

So finally managed to get the CF out of the STBook (absolute mission!), but i can't get it to read on either the Mac or Windows as in both the operating system takes over before Hatari or an image programme and says the CF isn't readable and needs to be formatted or ejected? Is this because its the bootable hard drive (i.e., Master) not a Slave?? Is there any way around this?

JT
STBook NOTEBOOK (!)
Atari Portfolio
2 x 4Mb STe
1 x STFM
Lynx

Bring on the retro!

jd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby jd » Sat Mar 16, 2019 3:56 pm

Get a Live boot of linux (ubuntu for example) then follow :

https://www.backuphowto.info/linux-backup-hard-disk-clone-dd

before you start messing around with CF in wondows or MAC

Mr.JT
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Mr.JT » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:43 pm

Thanks for the reply. Not sure i'm up to the linux challenge (and mac OS X is debian anyway) and i'm rather worried about screwing up my main bootable CF/harddrive for the STBook.

So i'm trying a different route. I've now got a second open IDE adapter in the STBook at IDE1. If i can format a second blank CF correctly that is readable on both Atari and Mac or windows I'm assuming i can just swap that one in and out and forget messing around with the main HD that is bootable (i.e., just have a non-bootable transfer CF?). I tried to format this second CF on HDDriver on the STBook and while it can see something is installed at IDE 1, it doesn't seem to be able to pick it up to format it or do anything with it?? (Only visible in device check, but no name). The CF is readable on my Mac (currently as MS-DOS 12 format - whatever it was when i picked it up).

So I guess the question is, what/how should i format this second CF on the mac/windows so that it is readable on both those computers and by HDDriver so i can read/write on the STBook? Or if i format it correctly on those, should it just appear on the STBook at HDDriver is running on it anyway (courtesy of the bootable CF i'm now not going to mess with)?

Or am I totally barking up the wrong tree (i've never actually tried this before...)

JT
STBook NOTEBOOK (!)
Atari Portfolio
2 x 4Mb STe
1 x STFM
Lynx

Bring on the retro!

Social Media

Return to “Applications”