AMIGA: MIST vs Pi3 vs Vampire/real Amiga (4000?)

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

seastalker
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

AMIGA: MIST vs Pi3 vs Vampire/real Amiga (4000?)

Postby seastalker » Wed Aug 16, 2017 2:19 am

I saw a great youtube video called "Is the Raspberry Pi the best Amiga available?" by Steven Jones which was quite informative on the Pi3. I've also seen Dan Wood's video on the Vampire accelerator cards. Never owning an Amiga before, it is nice that Steven Jones has the view of for gaming, RP3 beats all Amiga models but only lacks in Floating Point applications. Dan Wood seems to put the Vampire for the Amiga 600 as the best until perhaps the future A1200 product.

I am wondering where the MiST fits in both in power and core compatibility for those that have been Amiga users forever. I would like to investigate "video Toaster" and other Amiga enhancements, but wonder if an Amiga 4000 could be replaced with a Pi3 or MIST. I'd appreciate tech data from Amiga fanatics.

nightshadowpt
Atari User
Atari User

Re: AMIGA: MIST vs Pi3 vs Vampire/real Amiga (4000?)

Postby nightshadowpt » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:16 am

MiST is slightly less powerful than an Amiga 4000.

For classic Amiga gaming, it's a no brainer. If you are looking to use any applications, then a Pi3 (or a pc) is probably your best option.

gunrock
Atarian
Atarian

Postby gunrock » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:07 am

How is the MiST almost as powerful as the A4000? It has no FPU, therefore most graphics productivity apps are going to perform much worse (and need a non-FPU version of the app).

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:57 am

I have the impression that lately the forum is drifting too much on Amiga-related topics, and I suppose the logical thing would be to address those issues in Amiga-specific forums.
It may be an impression of mine, maybe I'm wrong, but I find it a bit strange to read that word so many times in "Atari-Forum". I say this without any controversy.
Greetings.
ST/fm/e, STacy, Mega ST/e, TT, Falcon, C-Lab MKX... and more music tools.

Zarchos
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Zarchos » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:04 am

I agree.
I have so many things to tell you about my beloved Archimedes, but I refrain from doing that on an Atari forum, as I am a gentleman.
(From the Scottish definition : 'a gentleman is a man who knows how to play the bagpipe, but who refrains from doing so').
Atari 1040 STE+SATAN, 520ST, 800xl, xegs, Amiga 500, 2000 with 68020, Archimedes, RISC PCs + Iyonix, Omega, BBC B, Atom, Electron, ZX 81, Spectrum 48/128/+2/+3, Speccy2010, Russian clones, Sam Coupe, V6Z80P, QL with accelerators, Enterprise 128, Einstein inc 256, Oric Atmos, MSX 1, 2, Thomson MO5, Amstrads inc CPC+, C 16, 64, 128, VG5000, Apple IIGS and more ! Yes I want to create a museum when I retire.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:59 am

This part of forum is not about Atari-only.
Talk about any emulated system is welcome in MiST sub-forum.

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:42 am

Sorgelig wrote:This part of forum is not about Atari-only.
Talk about any emulated system is welcome in MiST sub-forum.

It is your opinion, respectable as mine or any other.
One thing is to talk about MiST and another one is to load the Amiga core, quote Amiga devices (Vampire) and finally compare with real Amiga computers.
That you want to see it as something logical in an Atari forum?, it is your opinion, but I disagree with that. The moderators allow it?, well, it's their home, I only have the right to read or ignore messages that do not interest me and that's the reality.
But "Atari-Forum Atari 16/32 computers and their clones" should focus on Atari, it is my opinion, and who wants Amiga also has other forum specialized in it.
MiST with Atari is Atari-themed, and MiST with Amiga is not Atari-themed (is MiST-Amiga themed).
Which collectors have Atari and Amiga? Yes, there are enough, but also Dragon, MSX, Spectrum, PC ... Mathematics does not lie.
Greetings.

seastalker

Postby seastalker » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:30 am

Amiga: Great to hear my MIST is nearly as strong as the A4000. Could it be said it is like an A4000 without the FPU? I heard 99% of games don't use a FPU. I plan to get a Pi3 anyway so that and the Mist should cover the gaming side. The apps may be best suited with Amiga Forever on a PC. I'd love to get a 1200 case/keyboard for the Mist or Pi.

100% agree with Sorgelig- this spot is reserved exactly for this, and harbaum.org directs MIST discussion traffic here. I never owned an Amiga, and would like to hear about the beloved Archimedes, and about ALL cores on the MIST. This is like Netflix's "other films that may be of interest." The many recent Amiga documentaries has spiked my interest, all of which heavily feature Atari history. As an 8-bit XL fan and owner, I am learning about the ST line more too.

Alternative opinions are respected, but topic eligibility debates here are perhaps ironic: rather than hijacking this thread, shouldn't that be discussed in "Chat forum [ENG]" where you are free to discuss ANY topic?

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Wed Aug 16, 2017 12:00 pm

Yes, and the peacemakers wars are a great tool for the democracy.

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:08 pm

Minimig on MiST is slightly faster than standard A1200. It's not even near to A4000.
Besides absence of FPU and MMU in MInimig, A4000 comes with 68040 with 25MHz at least. And it's several times faster than what Minimig can achieve.

@Atarieterno,
Stop your childish war Atari vs Amiga. Ok? Don't look into this subforum if you don't like it. It's full of non-Atari topics and it's ok since nothing gets deleted. May be there are only couple topics are about Atari here.
Last edited by Sorgelig on Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ericgus
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby ericgus » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:09 pm

I always thought it was a bit odd that the main "MiST" forums was hosted on an atari site .. (not that I ever owned an atari machine in my life) (I am however interested in them as they are retro systems .. perhaps one day I will have a machine).. It wasn't until a short time after I got my MiST (originally to replicate systems like the Speccy, BBC, Amiga, C64..) that I later realized the MiST was originally conceived as an Atari ST FPGA replacement (hence the baked in midi ports) (which makes sense it being here) .. That said, its probably time for MiST to have its own dedicated forums on its own site, where topics that the O/P posted would perhaps make a bit more relevant sense .. {I don't disagree with the people saying .. "um this is an atari forum why is there amiga news" .. I totally understand where they are coming from and I can certainly see their point.

TheSaint123
Atarian
Atarian

Postby TheSaint123 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:18 pm

The MisT Fpga Amiga Core is not so good a real Amiga 4000 or Amiga 1200 !

The FPGA Arcade Replay Board is better ,have RTG ,68020 with FPU 99mhz real fast working but have the issues from MisT on Games like Pinball Illusion not work !

The best on simulated or better im write emulated ,is the RPI3 Amibian1.4 under ARMUAE 0.5 it have RTG ,68040+FPU ,SCSI and is faster then
VampireII or the fastet Amiga with the fastest 68060 Turbocard !

Is very Impressive to see a RPI3 with Amibian1.4 in Aktion !

Regards

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:24 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Stop your childish war Atari vs Amiga. Ok? Don't look into this subforum if you don't like it. It's full of non-Atari topics and it's ok since
nothing gets deleted. May be there are only couple topics are about Atari here.

don't get me wrong, but my two cents is that forum is for ST/E Clones not amigas: "Atari ST Professionals < ST(E) Clones (Suska / MiST)",
and there are dedicated subforums for non Atari platforms: "Chat forum [ENG]" or "Non Atari Platforms "
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

Sorgelig
Atari Super Hero
Atari Super Hero

Postby Sorgelig » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:40 pm

"Mi" comes from Minimig. "ST" comes from Atari ST.
So, it's supposed to emulate two major retro systems.

Cyprian
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Cyprian » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:46 pm

yep, but IMO amiga subjects are out of topic
Jaugar / TT030 / Mega STe / 800 XL / 1040 STe / Falcon030 / 65 XE / 520 STm / SM124 / SC1435
SDrive / PAK68/3 / CosmosEx / SatanDisk / UltraSatan / USB Floppy Drive Emulator / Eiffel / SIO2PC / Crazy Dots / PAM Net
Hatari / Aranym / Steem / Saint
http://260ste.appspot.com/

ijor
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby ijor » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:53 pm

Personally, I am happy that we host the Mist (and related hardware) subforums. And as long as those few thread not related to Atari are restricted to Mist, Mister or similar clones, I don't mind.

Greenious
Hardware Guru
Hardware Guru

Postby Greenious » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:06 pm

I don't see what the problem really is.

If a particular core or clone becomes "too big" for the general clone forum, we'll put it in it's own sub-forum. But until that happens all related subjects are more than welcome to discussed here.

Particular cores/clones do tend to be discussed in waves here anyway. In a few months (or even weeks) it will likely be something else...

:cheers:
Updated my guides as of june 28th, 2016. Check'em out and feedback!
viewtopic.php?t=5040

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:17 pm

Sorgelig wrote:Minimig on MiST is slightly faster than standard A1200. It's not even near to A4000.
Besides absence of FPU and MMU in MInimig, A4000 comes with 68040 with 25MHz at least. And it's several times faster than what Minimig can achieve.

@Atarieterno,
Stop your childish war Atari vs Amiga. Ok? Don't look into this subforum if you don't like it. It's full of non-Atari topics and it's ok since nothing gets deleted. May be there are only couple topics are about Atari here.

No, it is not a childish war Atari Vs Amiga, it is that you are clearly off-topic and also you presume of it.
The one that has to put this thread in other places (as it has indicated another companion) is you, this is for MiST with ATARI, not with Amiga. I have been educated, so I expect the same treatment on your part.
Keep talking about Amiga in sub-forums "Chat ENG" or that is enabled for it, but it is clear that MiST with Amiga is nothing ATARI, much less talking about physical models of Amiga.
If the moderators allow you I can not do anything, but you are not right. Once again: MiST with Atari is not MiST with Amiga; Is clear?

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:24 pm

Greenious wrote:I don't see what the problem really is.

If a particular core or clone becomes "too big" for the general clone forum, we'll put it in it's own sub-forum. But until that happens all related subjects are more than welcome to discussed here.

Particular cores/clones do tend to be discussed in waves here anyway. In a few months (or even weeks) it will likely be something else...

I do not discuss the decisions of the moderators (there is no other option), but I suppose that is convenient to dedicate a thread for "Other platforms and other cores not-Atari" and not a generic one of MiST, where they mix with Atari's thematic interests.
If we are going to lose "purity", unless it is in the most orderly way, and so we will all know which thread never to look (to those who are not interested).
Regards.

seastalker

Postby seastalker » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:27 pm

This is where the discussion of all ALL MIST cores are so the CHAT-ENG location seemed pointless for this. Why not piss on Sega and NES core threads too? I'll let admins decide, or bump the thread elsewhere if they desire. I choose threads that interest me and skip what doesn't: like rest of the Internet. No one else can tell me otherwise to discuss what I as an adult can self determine is on-topic. I can't imagine a more obscure corner of the web to be upset about. "Thanks" to all make it harder to find the info I'm looking for and share discussions about...

BACK ON TOPIC:

MiST helps me explore my lost years of "post-800xl," mainly the ST and Amiga. Academically, the Jack Tramiel Atari ST transition, and introduction of TOS interests me to compare with an Amiga experience in a fair light with specs from different years.

I greatly appreciate the Mist MULTI-computer community. I'm learning from creators and those who owned the various machines how well or accurate each core is. Sorgelig, you provide so much- I thank you. TheSaint123... That info is also what I was looking for! Seems all hardware platforms have a special place (there is also the future a1200 vampire and reloaded board). The one thing I miss on the MIST is a mechanical keyboard case enclosure. Still looking at converting an extra 800xl case to USB, but one MiST-compatible enclosure is the upcoming a1200 case. Thanks for the specs comparisons, one and all!

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:30 pm

Atarieterno wrote:
Greenious wrote:I don't see what the problem really is.

I do not discuss the decisions of the moderators (there is no other option), but I suppose that is convenient to dedicate a thread for "Other platforms and other cores no-Atari" and not a generic one of MiST, where they mix with Atari's thematic interests.
If we are going to lose "purity", unless it is in the most orderly way, and so we will all know which thread never to look (to those who are not interested).
Regards.

Atarieterno
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Atarieterno » Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:35 pm

I am sorry. I tried to edit my post (a correction in "No" replacing "Not") and instead of editing I have re-copied my post.
Sorry.

P.S. I will not dwell on this issue any more, there are things that are like politics and 2 + 2 = 5; Are the new times.
Greetings.

seastalker

Postby seastalker » Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:17 pm

Graham Chapman: "Lucky we didn't say anything about the dirty knife"

lp
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby lp » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:42 pm

I see no problem whatsoever with the discussions here. MiST by nature is multi-platform so I expect to see all platforms discussed.

The forum layout is a little odd: Board index -> Atari ST Professionals -> ST(E) Clones (Suska / MiST)
These multi-platform devices could or should be put in the root of the forum index. It seems odd it's in "Atari ST Professionals" and I can see why someone might be initially surprised to see non-Atari chatter. I suspect the admins didn't foresee MIST taking off in all directions. :lol:

I don't have a MiST, but I pop in here to see what's new from time to time.

tdg8934
Atarian
Atarian

Postby tdg8934 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:34 pm

I just bought a Raspberry Pi 3 this week and did not know you could use it as an Amiga. I am a big Amiga 500/3000 fan and also have a MIST for Atari 800 games / Amiga games. I'm getting ready to take my TS1000/ZX81 computers, MIST, Raspberry Pi 3 to demo some stuff at a vintage computer show in the Chicago land area on Sep 9/10. It would be nice to see how to use a Raspberry Pi 3 as an Amiga and perhaps show it along with my MIST side by side with the same game running for comparison.

Tim

Return to “FPGA Chat”