Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Cheap VGA->HDMI adapter

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:41 am

I just received this adapter from some nice MIST user:
http://www.amazon.de/dp/B00A6N9F5W

And i am surprised how well it works. The Atari ST as well as the Amiga cores work and a bunch of others i tested. The C64 core has some problems but this is expected considering the broken video timing it has (i really should fix that...).

Audio does not work since this adaptor expects to receive audio via usb which the mist doesn't support (and never will).

But it's working great as a pure VGA->HDMI converter.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sat Apr 18, 2015 10:45 am

Btw: There doesn't seem to be any scaling or the like involved. This is great since the output that way is an exact conversion of the input signal. Just digital instead of analog. This is exactly the signal a hdmi enabled mist would generate. So this would allow for compatibility tests without even building a hdmi enabled mist.

My TV e.g. is super picky and doesn't like any of these hdmi signals. But it also didn't like the same signals via analog vga.

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Re: Cheap VGA->HDMI adapter

Postby Newsdee » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:08 pm

Very interesting, this means there is at least one low-cost HDMI chip available. The two similar adapters I've tried had issues but turned out to have the same chip inside.

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:59 pm

Opening it seems to require brute force. But I might do it anyway to see whether I can add analog audio in.

remowilliams
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby remowilliams » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:41 pm

MasterOfGizmo wrote:The C64 core has some problems but this is expected considering the broken video timing it has (i really should fix that...).

That'd be great, I still can't see the C64... :D

DarkLord
Fuji Shaped Bastard
Fuji Shaped Bastard

Postby DarkLord » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:45 pm

Amazon has a second model that has audio - although I don't know if its usable for your purposes:

http://www.amazon.com/Sandberg-HDMI-Aud ... vertiert+V

41dZPydKc5L.jpg

HTHs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Welcome To DarkForce! http://www.darkforce.org "The Fuji Lives.!"
Atari SW/HW based BBS - Telnet:darkforce-bbs.dyndns.org 520

foft
Atari User
Atari User

Postby foft » Sat Apr 18, 2015 7:55 pm

That one goes the other way. ie hdmi in, vga out.

foft
Atari User
Atari User

Postby foft » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:02 pm

This one has a jack input, bit more pricey though.

http://www.keene.co.uk/coosis-portable- ... ertor.html

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:34 am

I've retested my adapters and realized that they work fine as long as you don't use an upscaler... (I was routing them through my XRGB-Mini to get 720p). I'll update the wiki. The vertical missing lines problem is still there, btw.

Edit: After using it a bit more, I noticed that my older 32" Samsung TV handles HDMI better than VGA. The VGA comes out at bit fuzzy (I guess HDMI is using native LCD resolution) and also the HDMI mode has options to change color intensity ("Dynamic" makes colors brighter).

guidol
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby guidol » Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:53 pm

I will try the following one, because of its audio-in port:
VGA auf HDMI Converter Konverter Adapter Wandler PC zu TV HDTV Full HD 1080P
http://www.ebay.de/itm/271754116603
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Total Eclipse
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Total Eclipse » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:28 am

Are these adaptors generally tolerant of a 50hz VGA signal? Would this be a means of getting 50hz games running smoothly on TVs that don't like 50hz VGA? I assume that 50hz via HDMI is more "standard"?
Atari equipment all in storage - Now playing with MiST :)

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Tue Apr 21, 2015 11:12 pm

My NTSC TV dislikes anything 50Hz, "Mode Not Supported" both on HDMI and VGA. The only ways I've found to display those cores is using an upscaler to convert to HDMI 60hz (XRGB-Mini with a VGA to SCART adapteri) or, giving up on the TV, use USB video capture on a PC with a high range of compatibility (such as the X-Capture1).

Monitors are hit and miss, but seem to have higher compatibility than TVs (not all cores work). Cheaper upscalers such as the Gonbes PCB (arcade converter) fix some issues (e.g. the vertical bands) but have trouble with some 50hz cores as well, displaying them off centre and hiding parts of the gameplay if you're unlucky.

It might be different in PAL regions where the standard is 50hz, though.

DrChaos
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby DrChaos » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:42 am

I got the one suggested by guidol above and did a few quick tests yesterday.

I was really surprised, I tested it on my LG 32LH2000 and the picture is very good with AGA and ST core (both 50/60Hz), better than the GBS scaler. It also works correctly centered with the C64 core in 50/60Hz, which did not work via Scart or VGA. However, the C64 core picture "flickers" every second and is distorted on the right. So Bruce Lee is playable, b ut not enjoyable. The Amstrad core is missing a bit of the left screen, as well as the Galaga core. The Atari 800 core worked fine. I did not test other cores so far.

guidol
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby guidol » Thu Apr 23, 2015 7:47 pm

DrChaos wrote:I got the one suggested by guidol above and did a few quick tests yesterday.

I did get this adpater today....on my little Medion 10" HDMI it wont work (at the VGA-Input it show the picture, but the message out of range does not disappear) and on the HDMI-Port the screen does go from blue (no video) to black but shows also "No video".

The only HDMI Monitor (not TV) I got is a bigger Hannspree HDMI/VGA Monitor in a Basketball-Design (was cheap :) = new 59EUR )
The Hannspree also show "out of Range" at the VGA-Input but with the adapter it works for the AMIGA non-AGA and AGA-core with 50Hz.

The picture is a bit to much to the right - no Problem by the Cebit90 Demo, but the Windows from the Workbench 1.3 has cut off at thr right side.
I could test some more cores the next days.

Audio conversion does work fine via a 3.5mm double-headphone cable :) to the HDMI-Adapter from the MiST

PS: The onscreen Menue look much better in real :) Is a problem between the screen and the camera....

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Thu Apr 23, 2015 11:55 pm

The converter chip inside my two boxes is the MS9282, I'd be curious about the others if anybody is willing to open them.

guidol
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby guidol » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:20 pm

Newsdee wrote:The converter chip inside my two boxes is the MS9282

The seller did advertise my box with the AVD7611 Chip from Analog Devices:
http://www.analog.com/en/products/audio ... t-overview

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Sat Apr 25, 2015 1:24 am

The page seems to describe the opposite? (HDMI to VGA) In any case, there are probably less chipsets than actual devices. I'm curious to try more adapters, but I'd rather avoid buying the same thing in a different box. :)

guidol
Atari freak
Atari freak

Postby guidol » Sat Apr 25, 2015 7:20 am

Newsdee wrote: but I'd rather avoid buying the same thing in a different box. :)

I opened up the device and there is noch ADV7611 :) Its the same thing as yours in a different box - also the MS9282!

Newsdee
Atari God
Atari God

Postby Newsdee » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:48 pm

I knew it! :D I've tried to find a fact sheet but no luck so far. Only found a couple of images that indicate it also supports conversion of Component inputs into HDMI.

Alessio
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby Alessio » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:33 pm

MasterOfGizmo wrote:I just received this adapter from some nice MIST user:

Just got the same one today, and couldn't get it to work. When I connect the USB to MiST for power (not for audio, I understand this will not work), MiST turns dark and stops working (not sure what causes this). With an external power source for the converter, my HDMI TV still does not get any signal (Philips 42" pfl7962d/12). I then tried an old laptop (Lenovo T400) for comparison, and while the TV did receive something, it couldn't display it ("format not supported"). So this converter might be a bit of hit and miss.

Gryzor
Gryzorator
Gryzorator

Postby Gryzor » Sat May 02, 2015 4:24 pm

Nothing to see here, someone please delete me :)
Reality is that, which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. --P.K.Dick

.:.
http://gryzor.info

TillDawn
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby TillDawn » Thu May 07, 2015 6:50 am

Alessio wrote:
MasterOfGizmo wrote:I just received this adapter from some nice MIST user:

Just got the same one today, and couldn't get it to work. When I connect the USB to MiST for power (not for audio, I understand this will not work), MiST turns dark and stops working (not sure what causes this).

I just tried the adapter, as well, and I have the same problem. When the USB is connected to one of the USB ports of the MiST, the MiST won't turn on. No indication that it gets any power whatsoever. Have you found a solution to this problem or does anyone else have a suggestions?

TillDawn
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby TillDawn » Thu May 07, 2015 1:04 pm

I just tested the adapter with my ThinkPad and found out that it works flawlessly; I get a very nice and clean image from the VGA port. The adapter's USB interface is also detected; Windows installs a bunch of audio devices. I did not test audio, however...

So, the adapter seems to work correctly, in principle, but I still can not get ìt to work with the MiST due to powerloss after connecting USB. I also removed all other USB devices, like mouse, keyboard, and a gamepad, but that did not fix the power issue.

Till, how do you exactly connect the Sandberg adapter to the MiST? Is the USB connection required at all; apart from the non-functional audio, for power perhaps?

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Fri May 08, 2015 3:12 pm

I just verified that it works on the two series mists i have as well as the prototype i use most of the time.

If the board completely powers down it seems to be a power supply problem. I checked the power consumption and it's about 200mA resulting in a total of 500mA with the MIST. Maybe your power supply doesn't cope with that.

You might try using a seperate USB power source. I e.g. just connected the USB plug to my notebook computer while the VGA connector was connected to the mist and the display to the HDMI. But please switch the MIST off while doing these connections and power the mist on last. Just to make sure you dom't damage anything by hoit plugging various power sources.
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

TillDawn
Retro freak
Retro freak

Postby TillDawn » Sun May 10, 2015 11:45 am

The power supply I am using provides 2A; not sure whether this is the problem.

But I tried plugging the USB connector into my PC while having the VGA in the MiST: no picture either. I noticed, however, that the USB front connector in my PC also seems to power down when I plug in the adapter...

On another note, I found that the USB might not be necessary in principle. The VGA port in my Thinkpad works with the adapter while USB is not plugged in.

Return to “FPGA Chat”