Very Portable USB gamepad

Moderators: Mug UK, Zorro 2, Greenious, spiny, Moderator Team

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Very Portable USB gamepad

Postby Paradroyd » Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:01 pm

I just picked one of these up at Amazon and thought I'd let you know about it.

While I wouldn't use this as my primary game controller (and it is a little pricey at $24.95), if you want something to use with your MIST on the go that is very portable and that doesn't obviously look like a gamepad, it is a decent little controller, especially for the size of it.

It has a lot of buttons and just shows up in the OS/core as a standard USB gamepad. While some of the Q/As on Amazon say that it will only work with Windows/MAC, I can personally vouch for the fact that that's not the case. I've tried it with a couple of the cores, and it works quite well for what it is. It comes with a retractable mini USB cable.

You may recognize the name of the company that makes it (or at least that put their name on it). It's ION, the same company that made the iCade mini arcade cabinets.

Here are a couple of crappy pictures of it both open and closed next to my MIST for a sense of scale...

MIST ION controller open.jpg

MIST ION controller closed.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Re: Very Portable USB gamepad

Postby Paradroyd » Sat Dec 20, 2014 11:16 pm

After using it for a while, I think if I had it to do over I'd avoid this game pad.

The size is great and it supports all of the buttons you could want, but the game pad part itself is pretty sloppy. I really notice it in vertical shmups where you just want to mostly move back and forth in the horizontal axis, firing. It tends to trigger movement in the vertical axis when you don't want it to, which can be quite frustrating.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

MasterOfGizmo
Atari God
Atari God

Postby MasterOfGizmo » Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:44 am

What about putting the inards of that pad into a old competition pro?
MIST board, FPGA based Atari STE and more: https://github.com/mist-devel/mist-board/wiki

Paradroyd
Captain Atari
Captain Atari

Postby Paradroyd » Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:50 pm

MasterOfGizmo wrote:What about putting the inards of that pad into a old competition pro?

That would probably work, but I already have a slew of good, full-sized gamepads, so I'm not really hurting for options. The only real reason I even messed with this was the size & portability of it.
- Paradroyd
@paradroyd on twitter

eeun
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior
Obsessive compulsive Atari behavior

Postby eeun » Sat Jan 03, 2015 4:34 pm

That's an impressive little device. I'd love something like that for my phone and tablet if it were wireless.

I've been using one of the Raphnet http://www.raphnet-tech.com/ Atari DB-9/etc. gamepad converters, and I just picked up a USB imitation SNES gamepad for a couple dollars on ebay. Both work fine with MiST.

Nice thing about the Raphnet converter is it supports a variety of computer and console sticks and pads without re-flashing. Just need to make a breakout box or cable to support whatever stick youre using. If you have original joysticks on-hand, that is.

Return to “FPGA Chat”